Combat is one of the most crucial, but not the most important, aspects of GreedFall. During the game you will devote a lot of time for conversations and world exploration, yet it is worth to familiarize yourself with the combat system and choose the best one that suits you best.
- Melee combat
- How to destroy / weaken the armor of enemies?
- How does Fury work?
- Supporting potions
- Bombs and grenades
- Magic Healing
- Active pause
Melee combat is the basic solution for the warrior class. If you have selected this class when you were creating your character, you have the ability of using one hand weapons from the very beginning of the game.
However, if you have chosen a different class, you can still develop your character in that direction. In the skill tree you will find useful skills:
- One Handed Blades - allows you to use one-handed weapons: attack, kick and furious attack.
- Long Blades - allows you to use two-handed blades: chopping attack, kick and furious attack.
- One Handed Heavy Weapons - Allows you to use maces, hammers and axes - attack, powerful attack and furious attack.
- Two Hand Heavy Weapons - allows you to use heavy two-handed weapons - attack, annihilating attack and furious attack.
Remember that using a weapon forces you to make close contact with your opponents. In this situation, you must learn how to use your weapon and avoid hitting your opponent.
Firearms are Technical specialty, but you can have them at any time. All you have to do is develop a skill tree related with that particular skill.
- Firearms - allows you to use pistols.
- Rifle - allows you to use shotguns and rifles.
You can improve firearms with potions. They cause more damage and poison the enemy.
This is an interesting skill, because it allows for close-range and distant attacks. Additionally, it affects all other types of weapons (such as firearms.)
Magic will allow you to repel and freeze enemies, allowing you to safely strike with your weapon.
You can constantly develop magic with divine magic rings and skills. Below you will find the most important skills that may influence your fighting style.
- Stasis - this is a skill that immobilizes enemies for 8 seconds.
- Shield of the Enlightened - strengthens and restores armor of the hero.
- Storm - creates a shock wave that causes Stasis effect on nearby enemies.
- Divine Magic Ring - allows you to use magical rings.
- Lightning Dash - allows you to jump back immediately after a dodge.
The best initial attribute is endurance, as it strengthens the balance of the hero. Balance reduces your susceptibility to stasis (stun) and knock down. A high balance will also allow you to wear very heavy armor.
How to destroy / weaken the armor of enemies?
Pay attention to enemy's armor. It is marked with a blue shield icon, just above enemy health.
Remember, if you're a magician, you don't have to worry about it. All magic tricks and spells directly hit your opponent even if he has a shield.
Each weapon has its own "armor damage". This statistic shows how fast you can break enemy's armor. Heavy one- or two-handed weapons have the highest armor damage.
How does Fury work?
Fury is a state that adds an interesting attack for your character. Thanks to it, you hero can inflict stronger and more effective strikes.
Some information about fury:
- The Fury bar is located below the HP and MP bar in the upper left corner;
- it often knocks down enemies;
- when the fury bar is loaded, your character's hands will glow;
- fury is activated by pressing a key (Q, LT or L2);
- fury regeneration time can be accelerated by purchasing appropriate skills.
In order to create potions in the game you have to acquire the Science talent. You can select it during the creation of a new character or later in the game.
You can also buy potions from merchants. They can affect the strength of your attacks, serve as bombs or regenerate your health.
In the Skill Tree you will find such abilities:
- Set Trap - allows you to use alchemical mixtures that explode on contact with your opponent;
- Anointed Weapons - allows you to use potions on weapons and thus strengthens their attacks;
- Alchemical Dosage - increases the strength of potions;
- Assassin's Touch - weapons under the influence of mixtures get highly poisonous;
- Destructive Elemental Preparations - increases the force of destroying enemy armors.
Bombs and grenades
In the game you can throw bombs and grenades. These explode in contact with your opponent, decrease enemy's health points, knock them down and throw them off balance - it's easier to attack your opponents.
To unlock grenades and bombs, you need to purchase:
- Phial Throw - the throw of a bottle works like a grenade/bomb - it explodes on contact with an opponent (like a Molotov cocktail);
- Bomb - allows to throw bomb.
Both abilities can be developed.
In the skill tree there is a point - Magic Healing. This healing spell restores 250 health points. It is very useful during combat.
During active pause you can change weapons, select spells, check current status of your companions. In addition, you can develop strategies to defeat your enemy.
Traps in GreedFall are used by both our hero and his opponents. You can set them up in different places and count that your opponent will not to notice them and to fall into them.
In later stages of the game it is recommended to buy Fast Trap skills. This skill allows you to throw traps during combat.