On this page of our guide to GreedFall you will find a valuable set of starting tips concerning all game mechanics. They should be especially helpful for those who are just beginning their adventure with the game. We pay attention to potential facilitations, warn about threats and explain the troublesome mechanisms of the game.
- Save your game on a regular basis
- Gather loot of all chests you can find.
- Sneak in or look for alternative passages in forbidden zones
- Unlock Lockpicking talent as soon as possible
- Firearms are very helpful in battles
- The questions marks on the map will lead you to interesting places
- Charisma can help you in important meetings with the NPCs
- Remember that companions can be equipped with weapons and armor
- Unlock every new campfire
- Unlock the Magic Healing ability as soon as possible
- The arena in New Serene is a good place to get xp and a good sword
- Use active pause whenever a fight gets more challenging
Save your game on a regular basis
In GreedFall you can save game manually without any limitations and you should definitely rely on manual saves and quick save features. Save your progress before:
- Every big fight - In case the attacked enemies or monsters turn out to be too difficult to defeat.
- Any conversation with NPC - You may be forced to make a decision during the conversation. Having lots of saves will allow you to test different options related to the available selections.
- Any quest location - As soon as you get close to your destination, the cut-scene can be activated immediately and you may be forced to take part in a conversation or join a fight.
Gather loot of all chests you can find.
GreedFall does not impose penalties for robbing the inhabitants of the land. You can take out everything from the found chests, even if they are in other people's homes or near stalls.
Move all the loot you find to your inventory, even if you're sure it won't do you any good. You can sell useless items to merchants or dismantle them to obtain crafting materials.
Sneak in or look for alternative passages in forbidden zones
You can take out treasures from all chests, but the team is not allowed to enter every location. You will come across the first prohibited areas of this type during the prologue. The game and/or your companions will warn you that unauthorized persons are not allowed to enter the location. If you ignore this warning and enter a forbidden area, you may be attacked and your relationship with one of the factions in the game world may deteriorate.
You can solve the problem of inaccessible locations in different ways:
- Sneak and crouch - this is the best tactic. You can also quietly kill guards, but you cannot be spotted during an attempted assassination.
- Search for alternative passages - These can be, for example, an entrance from behind, a passage through canals, or a weakened wall suitable for demolition.
- Wear a disguise - If you get a costume of a member of a particular faction, for example, you can be admitted inside.
- Search for tasks related to an unavailable location - You can be allowed to enter a forbidden location, e.g. for the duration of an investigation.
Unlock Lockpicking talent as soon as possible
This paragraph is directly related to the two previous ones. Access to some chests and entrances is forbidden and they are closed. Only solution to this problem is to gain the Lockpicking talent. You can unlock the first level of this talent already during the creation of your character, although this is not mandatory and you can also unlock it later.
Closed chests usually store some valuable and better quality items. With talent, you can get valuable items for sale or obtain useful equipment. But remember that the first level of talent is not enough to open each chest. More complex mechanisms require you to develop Lockpicking talent to level 2 or 3. The topic of opening padlocks is described in more detail on a separate page of our guide - How to unlock closed chests and doors?.
Firearms are very helpful in battles
You should use firearms regardless of whether you specialize in close combat or magic. The reason for this is that firearms are highly effective and have a high level of firepower. You can successfully weaken strong enemies and this is especially helpful when the attacked opponent does not have any distance attacks and strives for melee combat. In addition to assigning some firearms to a controlled character, unlock at least 1 level of the Accuracy attribute, which will further increase the damage dealt.
Every firearm uses ammunition. You can find it in loot boxes, chests, buy it from dealers, or produce it yourself by using crafting. Don't waste ammunition on the simplest battles with weak monsters. Save it for at least medium-demanding skirmishes.
The questions marks on the map will lead you to interesting places
Thoroughly explore all newly visited regions of the game world. In addition to the chests mentioned above, it will also allow you to discover other attractions - such as bonfires, locations with NPCs, skill chapels, entrances to buildings, or lairs of powerful monsters and mini-bosses.
Thankfully, you don't have to travel blindly. Question markers on the map symbolize interesting places - try to reach them all after appearing in every new region of the world. This will make sure you don't miss any important discovery.
Charisma can help you in important meetings with the NPCs
Charisma talent is an excellent choice if you want to solve conflicts in a peaceful way. An opportunity to take advantage of charisma may arise during a conversation with NPC. If the attempt to convince the person is successful, you can not only achieve the desired effect of the meeting, but also receive positive reputation points as a bonus.
Charisma test has a percentage chance of success, which is displayed in the chat window (50% in the example from our picture). If you often save the game as we suggested earlier in this guide, you can load the previous save and try again even if you fail.
Remember that companions can be equipped with weapons and armor
The inventory in GreedFall is shared by the entire team. This means that you can easily change your companion's weapons and armor. Some of the "starting" items they use have very good statistics, but over time you will still find better equipment. It is worth to exchange such items so that the team member can still be a useful helper on the battlefield. Also, you won't be afraid that your companions may get killed fast.
You can choose from all the items you have found, received or purchased while controlling your main character. As with the main hero, always check if the weapon or armor requirements of new items are compatible with companion's attributes.
Unlock every new campfire
Campfires and bonfires play several useful roles in GreedFall - you can relax near them, change your team, check the item chest (storage), and activate fast travel feature. In each of the game world regions there are several bonfires to locate. Some of them can be ignited. If possible, try to find them during your first visit to each new location. Having as many fast-travel points as possible will make it much easier for you to return to your old locations - for completing quests.
Unlock the Magic Healing ability as soon as possible
In the initial hours of the game, you will have to rely on health phials as the main method of healing the hero. However, this may change over time. Check the Magic Healing ability - a spell that allows you to recover lost health points. It is located in the upper right part of the skill tree. You can "get" to this ability from the side of One-Handed Heavy Weapons, or the Stasis.
At the beginning, the first level of the skill Magic Healing will be enough. Over time, however, you should try to unlock its next levels to be able to get rid of poison and repair armor. The fifth level is the most important because the Magic Healing skill will be able to heal comrades. The healing power in this situation is 50% lower than the hero's regeneration, but it is still a very useful bonus.
More information about healing teammates on How to treat wounds? page.
The arena in New Serene is a good place to get xp and a good sword
Once you reach New Serene, visit a local tavern and to start Champion of the Arena side quest - its walkthrough is in our guide. In Champion of the Arena quest, you have to participate in arena battles. You have to complete five rounds, and each of them consists of three fights with various enemies. Between rounds, you will be cured for free. However, each subsequent round becomes more challenging. The last fight is with a mini-boss - Nadaig Meinemen.
You don't have to winn all the rounds in one go. You can only participate in those matching your current character experience level. The most important thing is to be able to get valuable experience points for completing a round. If you win all the rounds, you will also get a powerful two-handed weapon. This weapon requires 5 agility and two-handed heavy weapons skill. If your character doesn't meet the requirements or, for example, specializes in magic, then you can give the sword to one of the warriors in your team.
Use active pause whenever a fight gets more challenging
Relying on active pause has advantages only. It is also available from the beginning of the game. We recommend using the pause option when:
- Your character takes damage, or was inflicted with a negative status - you can safely choose how to make your character back to normal.
- You have trouble attacking one selected opponent - The problem can arise during fights with multiple opponents. With active pause, you can easily choose who you want to attack.
- You want to use a very advanced technique - Active pause is useful, for example, if you decide to use one of the available traps or perform an unusual attack.
You want to quickly determine the health of companions - The game will display information about them near the left edge of the screen. You can easily read, for example, how many points of health, mana and armor each of the companions have.