Weapon is the basic tool that can secure your survival in the Commonwealth. In Fallout 4 there is no typical division of weapon types like in previous installments of the series, but in this guide the weapons are separated into 3 categories:
- gunfire (handguns, rifles, rocket launchers, miniguns, cluster bombs etc.);
- energy weapon (laser rifles, plasma rifles, Gatling lasers, plasma grenades etc.);
- melee weapon (fists, baseball bats etc.);
There are 3 types of damage:
- physical (crosshair symbol; dealt by gunfire and melee weapons);
- energy (lightning symbol; dealt by energy weapon);
- radioactive (radioactive symbol; dealt by some weapons like gamma waves emitter).
Damage types can intertwine with each other (which mean that one weapon can deal more than one damage type).
Information about number of damage, damage type, ammunition type, rate of fire, reach, accuracy, weight and optionally special attributes of a weapon can be found in Pip-Boy, in the Weapon tab on the right side.
In order to obtain more detailed information during the game, such as number and type of modifications installed, after moving the crosshair on the weapon you must press [X] on the keyboard or press the right analog stick.
Similarly as clothes or food, you can assign the weapon which you want to have always nearby to one of 12 free slots. To do it, after selecting the weapon press the button responsible for activating VATS mode. Then select the slot you want to use.
Important: Remember that you can use thrown weapon by pressing the melee attack button.