Locations that can be found in the world of Fallout 4 have different importance and they offer various attractions. Below you will find a list of most important types of them. More detailed descriptions of various areas of the world can be found in our separate guide - the world atlas.
- Cities and villages with friendly characters - Example locations of this group are Diamond City and Goodneighbor. In each of these places you will find few or more than a dozen of NPCs with whom you can trade and for some of them you can complete additional quests. Many of these locations are visited during the main story or during faction quests.
- Cities and villages with enemy characters - Lexington or Cambridge are example of locations of this group. They can be completely or partially occupied by enemies or monsters (for example, ghouls). It doesn't mean that you won't find any friendly or neutral NPCs here. Such characters can still appear here.
- Settlements - First settlement unlocked in the game is sanctuary. You must unlock other settlements on your own. In each such location few or even more than a dozen of settlers can start living. Your task is to provide them with good living conditions. Thanks to that, various settlements will function properly and keep developing further. More about settlements can be found in a separate chapter of the guide.
- Vaults - The first vault you visit is obviously the one number 111. Other vaults can be found in different parts of the world map. Some of them (like Vault 81 in the central part of the world map) are inhabited by friendly characters, other are abandoned or occupied by monsters. No matter the vault number, you can be sure that each of them has some precious treasures.
- Faction's headquarters - Each of four factions living in the game world has their headquarters. Depending on faction type, the quarter can be predestined or change as you progress in the game. It happens so with Minutemen faction, which at first resides in Museum of Freedom in Concord city and later in the campaign moves to Sanctuary and then to Castle.
- Schools - In most schools visited in the game you face bandits or some monsters. The buildings can contain various treasures, but the common category of commodities found inside is overdue books. You can return with these books to proper terminals (for example in Boston Public Library) and trade them for various goods (by doing so you can obtain, among other items, a unique Massachusetts Surgical Journal).