Unlocking all of the achievements in a single playthrough is not an easy job to do in Fallout 4.It is so because of conflicting interests of four factions in the game. Your cooperation with faction A might have a negative impact on the relations with faction B or even make you their enemy. Moreover, Fallout 4 has several endings that are mutually exclusive. Luckily, you do not need to start the game all over again and use the tricks shown below. They assume only basic cooperation with factions in a specific order, and saving the game in several vital moments.
Note - The list below concerns playing the game just to unlock every possible achievement. It is not the best way to interact with the game because you will be forced to skip some quests, e.g. final tasks from the Minutemen. If you do not wish to get all of the achievements, complete the game however you wish and, for example, commit to your favorite faction. The description of all main quests and faction missions can be found in the walkthrough part of our guide.
Note - Achievements unrelated to quests and important choices were not included in the list below. You can't miss it and you may take care of them with no difficulties.
Note - The proposed list is not the only way of unlocking every achievement (and a platinum trophy on PlayStation 4). Don't worry if you did something slightly differently. If you haven't made wrong choices in the essential moments, you should be able to continue the process of unlocking achievements..
First main quests and Minutemen quests
- Start with completing two of the first main quests - Prologue and Out of Time.
- At the and of Out of Time you will encounter the Minutemen for the first time and their quest called When Freedom Calls will begin. Complete it in 100%.
- From this point, you will be able to complete main quests and Minutemen ones interchangeably, or focus on one group of quests at a time. While taking care of these tasks, do not begin ones related to the Brotherhood of Steel or the Railroad.
- Complete the main quests up until the end of Hunter/Hunted.
- Complete Minutemen quests up until the end of Old Guns.
- When you complete Old Guns DO NOT CONTNUE performing tasks for Minutemen. Do not help the towns (random quests) because it will lead to the Minutemen ending (defense of the Castle, one of their towns). Completing this would prevent you from completing other main quests that offer achievements.
Main quest "The Molecular Level" and first Railroad quests
- Start with completing the main quest called The Molecular Level.
- While completing The Molecular Level you will be forced to contact the Railroad faction. Complete their first two quests - Road to Freedom (first Railroad encounter) and Tradecraft.
- Go back to completing The Molecular Level. You will have to build a teleporter. The game will suggest you to get help from one of the factions. Ask the Railroad for help - it will trigger the Underground Undercover quest. Make progress in it as far as you currently can.
Main quest "Institutionalized" and first Institute quests
- After completing The Molecular Level, a main quest called Institutionalized will begin. While performing this task, agree to work with the Institute - the fourth faction in the game. Don't worry, it won't stop you from cooperating with any other faction.
- Complete three initial quests for the Institute - Synth Retention, The Battle of Bunker Hill and Mankind Redefined. During The Battle of Bunker Hill, you can behave in any way you want towards the synths that you find, because this decision does not deteriorate your relationships with any of the factions to the point where you become their enemy.
The first point of no return
- SAVE THE GAME MANUALLY before you begin the next quest - Mass Fusion. It's a crucial step since completing the quest will turn you into an enemy of the Brotherhood of Steel and you won't be able to complete other quests from this faction.
All Brotherhood of Steel quests
- Start completing the Brotherhood of Steel quests. Your first one might be either Reveille (meeting the members of the Brotherhood on the Boston airport) or Fire Support (offering support to the Brotherhood of Steel members fighting near the police station in Cambridge).
- Start completing the Brotherhood of Steel quests. You will become a member of this faction at the end of Call to Arms quest.
- Complete quests for the Brotherhood of Steel until you unlock The Nuclear Option. It's one of the endings and completing it will give you an achievement.
Go back to the first point of no return
- By now, you should have unlocked all Minutemen and Brotherhood of Steel achievements (the remaining ones are from Railroad and Institute). You can load the game from before you started Mass Fusion quest from the Institute.
Continuation of Institute and Railroad quests
- Complete the Mass Fusion quest from the Institute. It will make you an enemy of the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Start the two following Institute quests - Pinned and Powering Up. During the Pinned quest help Minutemen (it is a good idea to send them away, during the conversation), and in Powering Up, have the optional conversation with the synth.
- At the same time, continue the Underground Undercover quest from the Railroad. To remind you, you received this quest if you asked Railroad for help with the teleporter in The Molecular Level.
The second point of no return
- SAVE THE GAME MANUALLY before proceeding with the next Institute quest called End of the Line. This is a very important step to take, because the entire quest is about killing all of the Railroad members at their HQ.
All of Railroad quests
- Start completing the rest of Railroad quests - Operation Ticonderoga, Precipice of War and Rockets' Red Glare. The last one gives you an achievement.
You do not have to complete the Railroad's final quest (The Nuclear Option) because you have unlocked its achievement while cooperating with the Brotherhood of Steel.
Go back to the second point of no return
- The Railroad has joined the Minutemen and the Brotherhood, so you should have all the achievements from these factions. Load the game from before the End of the Line.
The remaining Institute quests
- Complete End of the Line. It will make you an enemy of the Railroad (in theory, it ceases to exist, because you have killed all of its key members).
- Only two quests remain - Airship Down and Nuclear Family. The first one of those quests is about eliminating the Brotherhood of Steel. However, the more important is the second quest - it is one of the game's endings and completing it earns you an achievement.
Appendix - list of quest-related achievements
- War Never Changes)- cannot be missed
- Unlikely Valentine)- cannot be missed
- Reunions - cannot be missed
- Dangerous Minds - cannot be missed
- Hunter/Hunted - cannot be missed
- The Molecular Level - cannot be missed
- Institutionalized - first contact with the Institute
- Taking Independence - one of the Minutemen quests
- Old Guns - one of the Minutemen quests
- Tradecraft - one of the Railroad quests
- Underground Undercover - one of the Railroad quests, you'll receive it if you ask the Railroad for help during The Molecular Level quest
- Rockets' Red Glare - one of the Railroad quests
- Semper Invicta - one of the Brotherhood of Steel quests
- Blind Betrayal - one of the Brotherhood of Steel quests
- Ad Victoriam - one of the Brotherhood of Steel quests
- The Nuclear Option - a quest related to one of the endings - you can complete it for the Minutemen, Brotherhood of Steel or the Railroad after you complete all of the faction quests.
- Mankind Redefined - one of the Institute quests
- Powering Up - one of the Institute quests
- Nuclear Family - a quest related to one of the endings - it can be completed for the Institute after finishing all of its quests.