Bekarna's Observatory Walkthrough and Map
Pillars Of Eternity 2 Guide and Walkthrough
Key points of Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire M42 - Bekarna's Observatory
Important areas on the map
Exits from locations
Locked doors or chests
Important NPC's (quest givers, traders etc.)
New potential team members
Dangerous enemies (bosses, elite monsters etc.)
Starting area. You begin the exploration of the observatory here.
Diorama. Approaching the diorama triggers a short scene and you're going to be attacked after that. It's best to stick to the left side of the corridor, because it lowers the chances of enemies from the gear room (05) to join the battle. You will encounter various mercenaries here, as well as a guard dog and Carset. The noise caused by the fighting will likely attract all other enemies from the observatory.
Grand Archives. You will find several shelves with booms and alchemy ingredients here.
Bekarna's office. There's only a fire scroll on the desk here.
Gear room. You have to go through this room to reach the upper part of the location which is the orrery. You will encounter Mimrik and 2 Eotens here.
Passageway connecting the main part of the observatory and the orrery.
Telescope. Approaching the telescope triggers a conversation with Concelhaut. It doesn't matter which dialogue options you'll choose - you'll be forced to defeat him. Focus on Concelhaut himself at the start of the battle and once he's dead kill his allies. Make sure to loot the corpse because one of the items you'll find will be a very unique pet. You should also look inside a nearby desk to find notes needed to start the orrery. The telescope is used to find the right coordinates for the orrery control panel (08). If you've read all four notes on the constellations then activate the telescope and choosing all four coordinates. After that you can go to the control panel (08).
Orrery control panel. After you've checked all four constellations using the telescope (07) you can start the orrery. You will trigger a cut-scene and then gain access to Bekarna's studies and a unique wand.
The Huntress. Check the bookshelf to find the notes on The Huntress constellation - they're required to start the orrery. Make sure to read them. Simply adding them to your inventory is not enough.
The Kingfisher. Check the bookshelf to find the notes on The Kingfisher constellation - they're required to start the orrery. Make sure to read them. Simply adding them to your inventory is not enough.
The Leviathan. Check the bookshelf to find the notes on The Leviathan constellation - they're required to start the orrery. Make sure to read them. Simply adding them to your inventory is not enough. There's also a hidden stash nearby and finding it will allow to obtain a unique grimoire.
The Panther. Check the bookshelf to find the notes on The Panther constellation - they're required to start the orrery. Make sure to read them. Simply adding them to your inventory is not enough.
The map above depicts Bekarna's Observatory available in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. You visit this place during Bekarna's Folly quest. The location is divided into two parts - Bekarna's Observatory and the Orrery. Here, you will meet a rather large group of mercenaries including an enemy from the first game - Concelhaut.
Important places in Bekarna's Observatory
1. Starting area. Your exploration of the map starts here. Stick to the left side of the corridor to avoid attacks from the flank (from the gear room(M42,5)).
2. Diorama. Approaching the diorama triggers a short scene. Here, you will come across the largest group of enemies, including Torn Bannermen Myrmidons, Torn Bannermen Tricksters, a Guard dog and Carset. The noise caused by the fighting will likely attract all other enemies from the observatory. You can also get attacked by marksmen standing on the upper floor. Focus on Carset - he doesn't have much health but he deals massive damage.
5. Gear room. Mimriko and two Eotens are here. You can postpone their attack by sticking to the left side of the corridor. However, the noise caused by fights will summon them sooner or later. Examine Mimriko's corpse to find an Amulet of Greater Health (+25 maximum Health).
7. Telescope. Approaching the telescope triggers a conversation with Concelhaut. It doesn't matter which dialogue options you choose - the conversation always ends with a fight. Concelhaut is a powerful enemy who can deal massive damage and has a lot of various resistances - eliminate him first and then take out the rest of the enemies. Make sure to loot Concelhaut's corpse - you can get The Ironclasped grimoire, a master robe, a few magic scrolls and alchemic ingredients. However, the most important item is Concelhaut's Skull - an unusual pet that grants your party bonus Corrode damage and allows you to summon Concelhaut on a battlefield. Don't forget to loot the other enemies - you will find a lot of equipment, including Effort, a unique two-handed sword.
You should also look inside a nearby desk to find the last notes about the star constellations - The Panther (the other three are in the first part of the location - numbers 9, 10 and 11 on the map above). Read all the notes, activate the telescope, and choose all available options. This gives you coordinates to activate the orrery.
8. Orrery control panel. The orrery can be started after checking all four constellations with the telescope. This trigger a cut-scene. After that you gain access to Bekarna's Studies (you need them in order to complete Bekarna's Folly quest) and A Whale of a Wand.
Quests that can be continued in Bekarna's Observatory
Bekarna's Folly (the quest starts in Arkemyr's Manor (M32)) - get Bekarna's notes. This requires you to start the orrery.
Types of enemies and monsters in Bekarna's Observatory
Torn Bannermen Myrmidon - the most common type of enemy in this location. This warrior uses melee weapons and has a lot of health points.
Torn Bannermen Trickster - this enemy attacks from a distance.
Carset (M42,1) - deals a lot of damage but has a small amount of health points. Try to kill this enemy as fast as you can.
Mimriko (M42,5) - a Wizard who deals massive damage. Focus your attention on this enemy.
Guard dog - resistant to Dexterity, Intellect and Resolve afflictions.
Eoten - vulnerable to Dexterity affliction; resistant to Perception and Might afflictions and invulnerable to being flanked.
Torn Bannermen Priest - casts protective shields on other enemies.
Concelhaut (M42,7) - the most powerful enemy in this location. Invulnerable to Resolve, Intellect and Condition afflictions. Invulnerable to poison and diseases as well as resistant to Might affliction.
Taog - Concelhaut's sidekick, a little bit more powerful than a regular mercenary.
Aeflyn - Concelhaut's sidekick, a little bit more powerful than a regular mercenary.
Other information related to Bekarna's Observatory
You shouldn't hurry to visit this location. We recommend you to have your party members at level 16 or above. The enemies in the first location aren't a challenge, however, Concelhaut is a powerful enemy who can cause you a lot of problems. He has a lot of health points and deals massive damage so prepare yourself for this fight - be sure that your party members are well-equipped and rested.