Poko Kohara Ruins Map and Walkthrough
Pillars Of Eternity 2 Guide and Walkthrough
Key points of Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire M29 - Poko Kohara Ruins
Important areas on the map
Exits from locations
Locked doors or chests
Important NPC's (quest givers, traders etc.)
New potential team members
Dangerous enemies (bosses, elite monsters etc.)
M30 – Entrance to: Engwithan Waystation
Starting area. You begin exploring the map here. There's an obelisk nearby and you can examine it.
Quicksand. The team will be slowed down. Expect an attack from the sand grubs here.
Vailian Trading Company camp. It's good to explore the camp as a part of "The Storms of Poko Kohara" quest. A vision will trigger after examining the campfire. One of the crates contains a rope and grappling hook. There's a well nearby and inspecting it triggers a scripted interaction - you can go down the rope, swing on the rope to reach the sack (Athletics test) and then collect the falling gems (Dexterity test - how well you did will result in getting more or less gems).
Stairs. A new vision will trigger after reaching this spot. An attempt to open the door will activate an enormous monster (boss) - Engwithan Titan. You must defeat it.
Main door leading to the Engwithan Waystation. The door leads to the dungeon from "The Storms of Poko Kohara" quest. You must have a key from Ranga Ruanu (M27,8), use a prybar (there are 2 prybars in the xaurip camp in 06) or pass the Might test (it requires a really strong character, risk of injury).
Xaurip camp. You must defeat a large group of xaurips here (including champions and high priests). Ypou can detonate the exploding barrels. One of the crates in the camp has a trap - it contains 2 prybars, a unique Thundercrack Pistol and other loot.
Oasis. You will encounter a lot of monsters here - desert wurms and oasis delemgans. In the nest you'll find a small creature - it's a Desert Wurm Watchling pet (+5 to all defenses against ground attacks).
Side exit from the dungeon. You won't find a passageway here on your first visit. You will end up after choosing the passageway on the third level of the Engwithan Waystation. There's a secret stash nearby.
The map above depicts Poko Kohara Ruins found in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. Here, we focus on the surface - this location also has a vast dungeon (its description can be found on the page with the map M30). This desert location has a few areas that you can explore. The most important place is the entrance to the dungeon where the party will be stopped by a Titan. Prepare yourself for this fight because this Titan is a boss - this opponent is very durable and has powerful attacks.
Important places in Poko Kohara Ruins
3. Vailian Trading Company camp. You should explore the camp during The Storms of Poko Kohara quest. A vision will trigger after examining the campfire. One of the crates contains a rope and grappling hook.
There's a well nearby and inspecting it triggers a scripted interaction - you can go down the rope, swing on the rope to reach the sack (Athletics test) and collect the falling gems (Dexterity test - it determines the number of gems received).
4. Stairs. A new vision will trigger after reaching this spot. An attempt to open the door will activate an enormous monster (boss) - Engwithan Titan. You must defeat it to be able to enter the dungeon.
5. Main door leading to the Engwithan Waystation. The door leads to the dungeon from The Storms of Poko Kohara quest. You must have a key from Ranga Ruanu (M27,8), use a prybar (there are 2 prybars in the xaurip camp in (M29,6)) or pass the Might test (it requires a really strong character, failing this test can result in an injury).
6. Xaurip camp. You must defeat a large group of xaurips here (including champions and high priests). You can detonate the exploding barrels to make that fight easier.
One of the crates in the camp has a trap - it contains 2 prybars, a unique Thundercrack Pistol and other loot.
7. Oasis. You will encounter a lot of monsters here - Desert Wurms and Oasis Delemgans. In the nest you'll find a small creature - it's a Desert Wurm Watchling pet (+5 to all defenses against ground attacks).
Quests that can be continued in Poko Kohara Ruins
[Missions] The Storms of Poko Kohara (this quest can be started in various places in Neketaka) - You have to reach the entrance to Engwithan Waystation (M29,4), deal with a powerful Titan, and unlock the entrance to the dungeon (M29,5).
Types of enemies and monsters in Poko Kohara Ruins
Engwithan Titan (the picture above) - The strongest monster (boss) on the entire Poko Kohara island. Fight with him after gaining a few levels (level 10 is the lowest recommended level), getting better gear and, optionally, resting before the fight (e.g. in Tikawara). Titan's moves are slow but his attacks are exceptionally powerful. This enemy can use numerous unique abilities, e.g. Grab during which the Titan lifts one of your party members and then throws them on the ground or Knock Down which can be familiar to you if you have a Fighter in your party. You absolutely have to keep your weaker party members away from the Titan - its more powerful attacks can kill those characters in an instant. You should also know that the Titan is resistant to Might and Dexterity based abilities, he is also invulnerable to Resolve based abilities.
Sand Grub - These monsters hide in sand. You can encounter them in areas with quicksand. Be prepared - your slowed down Fighter will have problems with reaching them and attacking.
Sand Blight - Weak creatures, although they can blind their victims and cause hallucinations.
Xaurip - These creatures come in a few variants. Watch out for champions and magic wielding high priests.
Oasis Delemgan - This is a "unique" version of Delemgan. These creatures are invulnerable to Dexterity based abilities and they use a few troublesome spells, e.g. charm that can turn one of your companions against the entire party. Luckily, Delemgan aren't very durable.
Exploring the rest of the island
In addition to visiting the ruins of Poko Kohara, you can also explore the rest of the island. This will allow you to reach several smaller locations, whose exploration involves finding minor treasures (often random) or triggering paragraph scenes (e.g. meeting with potential enemies). Below we list these places and provide information on what attractions or threats await the party in each of them.
1. Shipwreck at the southern end of the island (you need to take a boat to get there) - You can search it several times, finding random treasures.
2. Orchard south of the ruins of Poko Kohara - You will find fresh fruit.
3. Kabaru Reku Shrine to the west of the ruins of Poko Kohara - Use Survival and/or Religion to thoroughly explore this location. You can set up a camp here, pray, use the special behavior option reserved for Monk / Cipher / Druid, or desecrate the chapel.
Other information related to Poko Kohara Ruins
Don't forget to save your progress before you get closer to the stairs that lead to the dungeon (M29,4). The fight with Engwithan Titan starts without any warning. If your party has no chances at winning the fight (they need to gain a few more levels), this solution allows you to easily retreat from the map and go back here in the later part of the game.
Initially, you should ignore the side exit from the dungeon (M29,8) - it becomes unlocked after using the passage in Engwithan Waystation to leave the dungeon faster. After that you will be able to use both passages.