Old City | Neketaka Island | Walkthrough
Pillars Of Eternity 2 Guide and Walkthrough
Key points of Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire M21 - Neketaka: Old City
Important areas on the map
Exits from locations
Locked doors or chests
Important NPC's (quest givers, traders etc.)
New potential team members
Dangerous enemies (bosses, elite monsters etc.)
M20 – Exit to: Delver's Row and Undercroft.
M12 – Elevator to: The Gullet (accessible only if the elevator has gone down).
Chamber of Waves. You will encounter Gwenfin here if you're doing "The Cornett's Call" quest for Dereo. You must use the Cornett of Waves found in the Serpent's Crown district (M16,1) to unlock the passageway.
Elevator. The elevator travels only one way - from The Gullet (M12) to Old City Overlook. You can receive access to the elevator as a part of "All Aboard" quest (M12,6). Even then the elevator will stay in the ruins only for half a day. After that you will have to leave the Old City another way.
Temple ruins. You can examine a mural and locate interactive containers. There are monsters nearby.
Cave grub lair. You can find many monsters in the lair and around it. Aside from grubs (smaller and larger ones) you will encounter skuldraks and bats. The biggest threat comes from powerful Greater Earth Blights.
Old Hideout. Examining the skeleton will result in finding a talking sword Modwyr. You can talk to the sword and take it with you (it's a powerful soulbound weapon). Secret stash - it contains a hatchet and a rope and grappling hook.
Passageway which connects Old City Ruins and Old City Overlook.
Passageways connecting Old City Ruins and Old City.
Passageway which connects Old City Overlook and Old City. Using it will force you to complete a scripted interaction. You can speed up the descent by participating in a Dexterity skill test, however failing it may result in injuring some of the team members.
Holes in the ground. Cave grubs appear here unexpectedly.
Sigils of Nightmares. There are 2 sigils of nightmares here - they put a curse on your team after entering their range (-2 to Resolve for 30 seconds) and it's hard to destroy them. You'll also encounter spirits here.
Lone survivor's hideout. You can talk to him and help him escape - you must secure the cave grub lair (M21,4) and/or open the exit from Old City Ruins (M21,1) and/or tell him about a working elevator (M21,2). You can visit the Lone Survivor in Poet Maje later in the game. There's a secret stash nearby - you'll find a scroll and gold.
Temple ruins. Large interactive area - examining it starts a scripted interaction. You can start swimming and completing Constitution tests. Passing all of them will be rewarded with a Cornett of Depths - you'll use it in (M21,19). Collecting this artifact triggers a difficult battle with skeletons (weaker and stronger types).
Skuldrak nest. You must win a battle here by defeating skuldraks and cave grubs.
Botaro's corpse. Finding Botaro is a part of the "All Aboard" side quest from The Gullet (M12,6). After defeating the monsters you can read Botaro's soul.
Reservoir with monsters. Significantly stronger monster can be encounter here and Mad Harvester poses the biggest threat. There's also a new Sigil of Nightmares here - it's best to fight far away from it.
Corpse. Examine the corpse to find a very valuable sabre Min's Fortune, Corroded Bronze Horn Figurine and a note. Looting the corpse results in a large group of monsters appearing here. Watch out for Rothgast Ravagers and most of all for a very poweful Reeking-Horror.
Chamber of Tides. It blocks access to Ondra's temple (18). You must use the Cornett of Waves found in the Serpent's Crown district (M16,1) or the Cornett of Depths from the Temple ruins (12).
Ondra's temple. A very powerful monster (boss) resides here - Giant Cave Grub. You can defeat it or sneak past it.
Secret Chamber. A big locked door prevents you from entering it. You must insert two artifacts into the door - Cornett of Waves found in the Serpent's Crown district (M16,1) and Cornett of Depths from the Temple ruins (12). There are very valuable treasures in the chamber. The left tomb has a trap and a lvl7 lock - unique shield Cadhu Scalth, gold and other loot. The chest has a lvl6 lock - high quality armor, poison and gold. The right tomb has a unique Wahai Poraga pollaxe, rare armors and jewels. Container with potions.
The above is the map of the Old City, a location in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. This is the biggest dungeon you can explore during your stay in Neketaka. It consists of three large areas - the main area is the Old City, then there are the Old City Ruins and Old City Overlook. Each of these areas contains some monsters and treasures. In the Old City you can also fight a gigantic worm, a sort of a boss.
Important locations in Old City
1. Chamber of Waves. Here you can meet Gwenfin if you've finished The Cornett's Call quest for Dereo (see the map M20 and the Delver's Row). You have to use the Corett of Waves you've found in the Serpent's Crown (M16,1) to unlock passage. This will let you explore the Old City Ruins (which you can also reach from another side).
2. Elevator. It only takes you one way - from The Gullet (M12) to the Old City Overlook. You can access it during the All Aboard quest (M12,6). Even then, the elevator will stay down in the dungeon for half a day. After that, you have to find another way to leave the location (try through Old City Ruins).
5. Old Hideout. Investigating the skeleton will let you obtain the Modwyr Talking Sword. You can talk to the sword and take it (it's a mighty, soul bound sword). You can learn more about this weapon in the chapter Where to find the Talking Sword Modwyr in Pillars of Eternity 2? From the FAQ section of this guide.
A secret stash here contains an axe and a rope with hook.
10. Sigils of Nightmares. There are two Sigils of Nightmares (not the only area of the dungeon with these) - they apply a curse to your team if within their vicinity (-2 for Resolve for 30 seconds) and they're hard to destroy. Try to stay out of their range and lure monsters away from them. You will also encounter some ghosts.
11. Lone survivor's hideout. You can talk to him and help him escape - in order to do that, you have to destroy the nest of grubs (M21,4) and/or open the exit from the Old City Ruins (M21,1) and/or inform him that there's a working elevator (M21,2). You can visit the Lone Survivor in Port Maje later in the game.
A secret stash here contains a scroll and gold.
12. Temple Ruins. There's a big interactive area here - explore it to trigger a paragraph scene. You can swim during the scene and try to pass subsequent Endurance tests. The award will be a Cornett of Depths - which you can use in (M21,19) to open a secret chamber. After obtaining the cornett, you will have to defeat skeletons (weak and strong types).
14. Botaro's Corpse. Finding Botaro is part of the quest called All Aboard from The Gullet (M12,6). After defeating the monsters you can read Botaro's soul.
16. Corpse. Near the corpse, you will find a valuable Min's Fortune sabre, Corroded Bronze Horn Figurine and a note. If you loot the corpse, a large group of monsters will arrive. Mind the Rothgast Ravagers as well as the very strong opponent - Reeking Horror.
17. Chamber of Tides. It locks the passage to Ondra's Temple (M21,18). You need to use the Cornett of Waves you've found in Serpent's Crown (M16,1) or the Cornett of Depths from Temple Ruins (M21,12).
18. Ondra's Temple. There's a very strong monster here, a boss - Giant Cave Grub. You can try to fight it or sneak past.
19. Secret Chamber. A locked door leads to it. In order to open it, you have to place there two artifacts - the Cornett of Waves you've found in Serpent's Crown (M16,1) and the Cornet of Depths from the Temple Ruins (M21,12).
There are also some extremely valuable treasures here - the left tomb is secured with a trap and a level 7 lock. Inside, there's a unique shield of Cadhu Scalth, gold and other. The chest has a level-6 lock - high quality armor, poison and gold. The tomb on the right contains a unique halberd Wahai Poraga, rare armors and gems. The container hides potions.
Questy continued in the Old City
[Mission] The Cornett's Call) (M12) - You can explore the Old City and reach the Ondra's Temple (M21,18).
[Quest] All Aboard (M12) - Musisz odnalezc Botaro (M21,14).
Important NPCs in the Old City
Gwenfin (M21,1) - is only here if you complete the Cornett's Call quest. He will be here when you enter the dungeon and after you leave it.
Modwyr (M21,5) - an unusual interlocutor - it's a sword. You can take it with you.
Lone Survivor (M21,11) - you can help him escape the Old City.
Types of enemies and monsters in the Old City
Giant Cave Grub (seen above) - the strongest monster (boss) in the entire location of Old City. Fight it only after your team reaches a high level (preferably 10). You also will need good equipment and get some rest. The monster is stationary, but it has good reach and is able to spit pretty far. The Grub can knock down and grab members of your party and deal huge damage. Smaller grubs will also appear during the fight - kill them only if they really make it harder for you to attack. The Great Gurb is resilient to Might, Dexterity, Resolve and Intellect.
Cave Grub - they can appear from nowhere. You can find them in the nest or accompanying other monsters.
Skuldrak - Resilient to Perception. Their bites can be venomous.
Skuldrak Screecher - a stronger variety of Skuldraks.
Rotghast - a soul-vessel monster.
Rotghast Ravager - stronger Rothgast.
Lesser Flame Blight
Greater Earth Blight - The most powerful blight of the Old City.
Sorcerer - there are a few varieties - mind those who wield magic.
Mad Harvester - one of the strongest opponents in the dungeon. Make sure your team is strong.
Reeking-Horror - this is a unique monster. If you want to eliminate it in the dungeon, prepare for a tough fight. It uses a similar set of skills to the Rotghasts, but us much more powerful.
Sigil of Nightmares - this is a unique type of threat. These sigils are pillars of energy - if you're within their area of effect, the team becomes cursed - Resolve is decreased by 2 for 30 seconds. You should simply avoid these things - destroying them is most difficult. If you're in a fight, lure your enemies away from them.
Other information about the Old City
All the locations within the Old City are connected - the passages were marked by points 6, 7 and 8 on our map. The passage (M21,8) in Old City Lookout is particularly interesting. Traveling to the main area of the Old City means you have to complete a paragraph scene. You shouldn't risk completing a Dexterity test - if you fail it, even a couple of your teammates may get permanent wounds.
Explore the Old City Ruins and Old City Lookout first. The main area of the Old City should be your last destination. It's there that you encounter the strongest enemies, including the boss, the Giant Cave Grub (M21,18). Don't even think about going there unless your team is level 10-11 and has good equipment, skills and spells. The fight with the Giant Gurb isn't obligatory. You can sneak to the Ondra's Temple if you're just interested in finishing The Cornett's Call quest, or breaking into the secret chamber next door, which contains valuable loot.
While traversing the Old Town, you may encounter objects that can be destroyed, which are marked in yellow. It is particularly worth looking for opportunities to blast them up, as they may weaken the nearby monsters.
Avoid approaching places with corpses and green fogs in the Old Town. When entering such areas, the team will receive a negative status, which will lead to a temporary reduction in Constitution and decrease of the healing effects. Additionally, you should consider the fact that moving in partially flooded areas slows down the movement of team members. Take this into account if there are monsters with distance attacks in your location.
Some monsters appear in the dungeon with a "delay", i.e. only after you have done a certain action, e.g. after you have acquired an artifact or searched a corpse. Information about this type of ambushes can be found in the descriptions of points on our map. You can prepare in advance for this type of combat by placing traps or magical seals around the area, which will weaken the monsters as soon as they suddenly appear.