During your playthrough of Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire you can find Modwyr, a talking sword. This is one of the most unique weapons available in the game. This sword is soulbonded which means that it can be further upgraded. This page contains information on where to find Modwyr and what are its starting stats.
- The place where you can find Modwyr, the talking sword
- Modwyr's stats
- Finding the previous owner of the Modwyr sword
The place where you can find Modwyr, the talking sword
This talking sword can be found relatively early - during your visit in Neketaka. You have to reach Old City Ruins located beneath The Gullet, one of the main districts of the city. You can reach the ruins in a few ways:
- Reaching them from Delver's Row, the place where black market merchants are, is more difficult. You would have to complete a fair bit of The Cornett's Call side quest during which you have to meet with Dereo The Lean in The Gullet. The man wants you to steal an artefact. You would have to go down to Undercroft located below Delver's Row and then proceed through them to enter Old City Ruins.
- Reaching the ruins from Old City Overlook is easier. The easiest way to reach that place is to use the lift from The Gullet (presented in the picture above). This can be done during All Aboard quest. There, you have to search for a passage that leads to Old City Ruins.
Regardless of your choice you have to reach Old City Ruins. Examine its north-east part marked in the picture above. There, you can find Old Hideout.
After reaching the Old Hideout, you should examine the skeleton presented in the picture above. Interact with it to start an automatic scene where you meet with Modwyr, the talking sword. You don't have to do your best during the conversation - you can take the sword with you at the end of it.
Modwyr is a Soulbound weapon:
- It can only be used by the main character.
- Use Soulbound after selecting it from the inventory. Also, you have to assign it to one of the two classes if you play as a multiclass character.
- The weapon's stats increase throughout the game. The requirements of developing the weapon can be checked in its description. The first requirement to upgrade the sword is to kill one Kith with it a single sentient being (you can find the right target when exploring the Old City).
The weapon's initial stats are:
- Fine: +15% Damage, +4 Accuracy, +1 Penetration.
- 18-26 Damage.
- 7 Penetration.
- Restricted to the main character.
- Emotional: +20% Damage dealt as Burn when above 50% Health and 20% Damage dealt as Freeze when below 50% Health.
You can talk with Modwyr, e.g. about finding its previous owner. Develop the weapon to get access to new dialog options.
Finding the previous owner of the Modwyr sword
During the game, it is possible to find the previous owner of the talking sword Modwyr. This character is Yngfrith and you can meet her in the district of Radiant Court on the pirate island of Dunnage - this character is shown in the attached picture. Meeting with Yngfrith can end in three main ways:
- You can decide to return the sword to a woman according to Modwyr's wishes. You will lose this object doing so.
- You can ask Modwyr's sword to stay with the main character. In this case, an important change is that the sword will no longer be a weapon assigned only to the main character. You can assign a sword to any other member of the team.
- You can murder Yngfrith in response to her attempt to look into the mind of the hero. This is the worst option and it is associated with the loss of a talking sword.