Gold is of great importance in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire - having lots of money lets you buy items, recruit ship crew and party members, stock up on supplies necessary for your ship, or even buy completely new vessels. Thus, it's a good idea to remember these few tips in order to keep your finances under control at all times:
- Collect all the loot you can get your hands on! It is smart to adhere to this advice since the first minutes of the game. Your party's stash has no limit to how many items it can hold, so pick up everything, even items that seem junk. Remember not only to loot enemy corpses but also inspect all the containers you find on your way: check every shelf and chest. Knowing this, it's useful to have a character with the Mechanics skill and a supply of lockpicks, because many chests are secured by locks. Of course, all the collected items should be sold, so remember to frequently visit merchants to trade the gathered goods.
- No risk, no ship - this means mastering thievery. Picking up everything is a good plan to get rich, but it can take some time to earn serious cash this way, so sometimes you may want to take interest in somebody else's possessions. Poking around houses in towns usually lets you get some quality items, but you have to be careful not to get caught - stealing is not welcome in the world of PoE and will result in a fight. Remember to use stealth, this reduces the chance of getting detected.
- Pick up side quests. During your playthrough, don't Focus only on the main storyline, but also on the side quests. Completing these quests is usually handsomely rewarded, even though, they don't necessarily require a lot of effort to finish - even the first beginning quests will boost your cash for about a few thousand coins. In the starting location, Port Maje Island, you should concentrate your efforts on two quests: Burning Bridges and Restoring Order - these are simple side quests that can be done without resolving to violence, and upon completion, will grant you about 2000 coins. Check out our walkthrough to learn the details concerning these quests.
- Explore areas using the map view. You can find many interesting locations and discover many items using the map - some areas require engaging in battle, but usually, your prize is just a few clicks away, though this may take some time. There's a wide variety of items that can be discovered - from supplies and ship equipment to jewelry and weapons. This tip applies to travelling by ship - there, you can find shipwrecks and abandoned goods that are waiting for their new owner.
- Collect pets. The entire world is filled with cute animals, called pets, that offer various stats bonuses both for your character and your entire party. You can use a bonus offered only by one pet at a time. Also, not all bonuses will suit your playstyle. Useless pets can be sold. The first pet can be found in Engwithan Digsite (M8), and a few more on Neketaka Island. Check out "List of pets" to learn about locations of all of the pets.