Firstly, you need to select the sex of your character in Pillars of Eternity 2. This will impact the way characters in the game react to our hero. Once the sex is chosen, you select the race.
In the game, there are six races available:
- Auamaua - a pretty common race often inhabiting the areas near oceans. They are known for their strength and fondness for naval cruises. Bonus: +2 Might.
- Dwarf - a race of colonists, who can be met everywhere around the world. Dwarfs are known for their strong character and strength. Bonus: +2 Might, +1 Contribution, -1 Dexterity.
- Elf - agile and swift, the elves love the nature and prefer to avoid direct combat - mainly due to the fact that in terms of their intelligence they tower over the remaining races. Bonus: +1 Dexterity, +1 Perception.
- Godlike - a mysterious race, whose origin has a lot to do with the ancient gods. Members of this race cannot wear helmets as they very often have horns. Bonus: +1 Dexterity, +1 Intellect.
- Human - the most common race. Known for its stubbornness and strength. Bonus: +1 Might, +1 Resolve.
- Orlan - they are relatively short, however, no one can match them in detecting threats and stealth action. Bonus: -1 Might, +2 Perception, +1 Resolve.
After choosing the race you can select the background of your character. This choice influences the story, as some factions are not fond of each other. For example, Death Godlike are perceived as the harbingers of doom. Moon Godlike, on the other hand, are often considered to be lucky.