The following page breaks down the Rogue class in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. You shall also find here the basic information concerning the class, a description of sub-classes along with rewards and penalties, the results of combining multiple classes, as well as a few helpful tips and tricks.
Rogues are born killers who usually prefer to act stealthily. In combat, they use dirty plays and tricks and obey only one rule - victory is the most important. They are cunning and extremely dangerous - better have them on your side.
Main role: Striker
Power Source: Guile
Assassin - they operate in stealth and prefer to assassinate their targets. On the other hand, they prove relatively weak in direct combat.
Bonus: Gain "Assassinate" passive effect which gives bonuses to Penetration, Accuracy and Critical Hit Damage (for Stealth Attacks).
Penalties: All received damage are increased.
Streetfighter - trained in fighting large enemy groups - they receive an additional bonus when they are surrounded or injured.
Bonus: Streetfighter's Recovery time is shortened and they deal more damage from Stealth Attacks when this character is Flanked or Bloodied. When both states are active, a Streetfighter deals more Weapon Damage.
Penalty: Recovery time is extended when a Streetfighter is neither Flanked or Bloodied.
Trickster - these rogues have mastered the basics of illusion, magic, and trick that they use in combat.
Bonus: Learn certain illusion spells.
Penalty: Sneak Attacks deal much less damage.
You can pick one of the two abilities:
The targeted unit receives a negative status: Hobbled for 15 seconds.
Allows a Ranger to break an Engagement and gives +50 Deflection.
By combining the Rogue with other classes, you can get the following results:
- Rogue + Barbarian = Marauder
- Rogue + Chanter = Harbinger
- Rogue + Cipher = Mindstalker
- Rogue + Druid = Pathfinder
- Rogue + Fighter = Swashbuckler
- Rogue + Monk = Shadowdancer
- Rogue + Paladin = Holy Slayer
- Rogue + Priest = Zealot
- Rogue + Ranger = Scout
- Rogue + Wizard = Spellblade
Tips and hints
- The Sneak Attack passive skill allows Rogues to deal additional damage to enemies that are being flanked (attacked from two sides) or have a debuff applied to them. Remember about that and try attacking the enemies that are surrounded by your teammates - also use support characters to apply debuffs to enemies.
- Rogue fights in close combat, but there's no point investing in attributes increasing health or resilience. The Rogue works best when they can deal the greatest amount of damage possible - add as many points as possible to Might and Perception. You can ensure the Rogue's survival with abilities such as Escape or Smoke Veil, which allow you to switch positions quickly.
- Rogue's skills use up Guile - a standard source of power used in combat for activating abilities and replenished after each fight.