The following page breaks down the Paladin class in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. You shall also find here the basic information concerning the class, a description of sub-classes along with rewards and penalties, the results of combining multiple classes, as well as a few helpful tips and tricks.
Paladins in Pillars of Eternity 2 devote their lives to a chosen god, a ruler, or an "important" idea. Usually, they are born leaders who are not afraid to die defending their values.
Main role: Support
Secondary role: Defender
Power Source: Zeal
Paladin subclasses don't have any penalties - each subclass offers a different additional spell.
Bleak Walkers - a merciless order of killers who, above all, enjoy violence and fighting.
Bonus: Gain Flames of Devotion. They deal additional Corrode damage and apply Sickened Affliction to targets.
Darcozzi Paladini - the oldest paladin order, which defends the values regarding life itself and takes care of the Darcozzi house.
Bonus: Gain Lay on Hands - it grants a flame shield to a target.
Goldpact Paladini - order that evolved from mercenaries. When doing their business, they do not have any moral dilemmas.
Bonus: Gain Sworn Enemy. A Paladin receives a blessing of gold which gives them bonus Armor Rating when they receive enough damage to break the gold.
Kind Wayfarers - paladins of good who help the oppressed regardless of their race and beliefs.
Bonus: Gain Flames of Devotion - they heal nearby allies.
The Shieldbearers of St Elega - above all, this order praises honor. They are interested in diplomacy and the political situation in different parts of the world.
Bonus: Gain Lay on Hands - it prevents the target from being killed for a short time.
Depending on the order you select, you can choose one of the following abilities:
Lay on Hands
A targeted unit gets +20 health every 3 seconds. A target can't die for 5 seconds.
The targeted unit gets increased damage and is easier to hit.
Flames of Devotion
Adds fire damage to the attacks.
By combining the Paladin with other classes, you can get the following results:
- Paladin + Barbarian = Fanatic
- Paladin + Chanter = Herald
- Paladin + Cipher = Inquisitor
- Paladin + Liberator = Druid
- Paladin + Fighter = Crusader
- Paladin + Monk = Votary
- Paladin + Priest = Templar
- Paladin + Ranger = Shepherd
- Paladin + Rogue = Holly Slayer
- Paladin + Wizard = Arcane Knight
Tips and hints
- Paladin is perfect for support. Use the Lay on Hands ability to heal team members and the Glorious Beacon to blind enemies.
- Paladin is also pretty good in defense, dealing minor damage. Flames of Devotion and different auras can buff Paladin (and often their teammates as well) and effectively debuff enemies.
- It's easy to notice that Paladin is a rather universal class. Depending on your needs, you should focus on different attributes. Might increases damage; Constitution - health points; Intellect improves Paladin's area of effect; and Resolve shortens time of hostile debuffs. If your Paladin is going to be a tank, invest your points in Constitution and Resolve - you can add some Might for additional damage. If you're going for support, focus on Intellect.
- Paladin's abilities use up Zeal - the pool is replenished after every fight.