The following page breaks down the Cipher class in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. You shall also find here the basic information concerning the class, a description of sub-classes along with rewards and penalties, the results of combining multiple classes, as well as a few helpful tips and tricks.
A Cipher in Pillars of Eternity 2 is a master at manipulating others. A cipher is able to possess enemy units, mount psychotic attacks, and cause foes' soul explosion.
Main role: Crowd Control, Striker
Power Source: Focus
Ascendant - this class is based on maximum focus accumulation - this is when their attacks are the strongest.
- Maximum Focus increased.
- After reaching maximum Focus a character increases their Power Level and reduces power Focus cost to 0 - this is called an "Ascended" effect.
- Soul Whip does not disappear during "Ascended" state and deals additional damage while in that state.
- While not Ascended, this character receives a penalty to Cipher's Power Level and Soul whip deals much less damage.
- When Ascended fades, Focus gets reduced to 0.
Beguiler - masters of illusion and manipulation. In combat, they use different magic tricks and focus on confusing the enemies.
Bonus: All Deception Cipher spells have increased range and they restore Focus.
Penalty: Soul Whip deals less bonus damage and generates less Focus if a target is invulnerable to Sneak Attack.
Soul Blade - aggressive and easily enraged. In combat, they use offensive powers and use spirit whips.
- Gain Soul Annihilation ability (an enhanced melee attack) that consumes all of Cipher's power and turns it into Raw Damage.
- Shred Cipher spells cost less Focus.
- Defeating an enemy with a melee weapon temporarily gives you Concentration and raises max Focus.
Penalty: Max Focus is reduced (this also includes the amount of Focus that you get at a start of a fight).
You can choose one of the following abilities:
Casts an energetic shield on a target - after it explodes, it deals damage to the surrounding units. 17-24 damage.
An enemy gets Shaken and Confused statuses for 15 seconds.
Blinds the targeted unit and the enemies around for 12 seconds.
Deals 5-10 damage to the targeted unit.
Deals 10-20 damage to a targeted unit.
Whisper of Treason
An enemy target receives Charmed status for 20 seconds.
An ally gains Strong and Insightful statuses for 20 seconds.
By combining the Cipher with other classes, you can get the following results:
- Cipher + Barbarian = Witch
- Cipher + Chanter = Spiritualist
- Cipher + Druid = Oracle
- Cipher + Fighter = Psyblade
- Cipher + Monk = Transcendent
- Cipher + Paladin = Inquisitor
- Cipher + Priest = Mystic
- Cipher + Ranger = Seer
- Cipher + Rogue = Mindstalker
- Cipher + Wizard = Hierophant
Tips and hints
- Cipher (contrary to other magical classes such as Wizard, Druid and Priest) doesn't have a limited number of spells they can use in one fight. The only limit is the source of power, i.e. Psionics, which is replenished every time you attack enemies with a weapon created with Soul Whip.
- Cipher's most important attributes are Perception and Dexterity, and then Might and Intellect. Hence, preferable classes include Elf and Godlike.
- As Cipher, you have to be adept at navigating the battle. Many skills can be used from distance, but Psionics are replenished in close combat. Try to mainly attack from afar, and if you have to use the Soul Whip, you can close in.
- A useful skill for beginning is Soul Shock - the spell offers solid areal damage, which is useful when fighting multiple enemies.