This unofficial guide for Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire is a compendium that every adventurer should get familiar with. The first few pages are a guidebook for Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. There, you can learn about the most important aspects such as creating and developing your character, finding companions and managing your party, how to command a ship, learn about the combat system, read about exploration of the game's world, how to use crafting and enhancing items, stealth or how to adjust the AI of your party members.
The guide opens with basics where you can learn about the most important parts of the game even before you start playing it. We also didn't forget to include the list of all Steam achievements available in the game. The FAQ chapter is an important part of this guide - that sections is dedicated to tips on how to easily get XP, how to get rich fast, how to open locked containers, how to rest, where you can get good weapons and pieces of armor or how to allocate skill points again.
Our guide for Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire combines a world atlas with a walkthrough. We have divided it into parts where each segment is dedicated to a separate island. The descriptions of each one of these areas features high-quality maps for all the most important locations. These areas also feature walkthroughs for all main and side quests. We have included various ways of behaving which can depend on skills and stats as well as available decisions and consequences of making certain choices. The final chapter of the world atlas features the most important tables. There, you can find, e.g. a list of pets (animals that can add bonuses to your party's stats) and a list of rare artefacts along with their locations.
Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire is a sequel to the classic RPG released back in 2015. This time the action takes place on the titular Deadfire Archipelago where our goal is to chase Eothas, the god of light, who unexpectedly came back to life. Just like in the first Pillars of Eternity, the game is presented from an isometric point of view and the player controls an entire party. The fights happen in real time with an option to use active pause. However, Deadfire gives players even more choices which means that many of the battles can be avoided by relying on wits or persuasion.
Jacek "Stranger" Halas & Radoslaw Wasik (www.gamepressure.com)
Color markings used in the guide
Our world atlas and walkthrough for Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire features the following color markings:
Red is used for NPCs as well as enemies and monsters that you have to defeat.
Blue is used for names of the islands, towns, villages, dungeons and other unique locations.
Green is used for items - those that you can find on your own, those that are received as a reward and those that can be bought from merchants.
Orange is used for places where you have to rely on your characters' stats or on specific skills so you can, e.g. complete a scripted interaction or convince someone to your opinion.
Bolded font is used for names of the quests.
- Basic tips
- How to start - The first steps in Pillars of Eternity 2
- Questions and answers
- Player interface
- Gameplay basics
- Creating and developing a character
- Character classes
We recommend checking out this chapter even before you start playing the game yourself. Thanks to the information contained here you will be able to understand the most important gameplay mechanics. This, in turn, will lower a probability of making mistakes that can severely weaken your party or can even lead to their death.
- Choose a suitable difficulty level. The classic difficulty level is recommended for a first playthrough - the game won't be too easy nor too hard. Difficulty level can be changed at any point by opening the menu. However, some of the changes (e.g. number of enemies) won't be applied right away.
- Think carefully about your main character. One of the most important new features in Deadfire is the option to make a multiclass character. It gives you more abilities but you won't be able to reach maximum level with a given class. Also, developing a multiclass character is more complex.
- Your party should consist of characters with different classes and skills. In Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire your party can consist of up to five members (the first instalment allowed players to have six characters). Characters with different skills and specializations allow you to be well-prepared for fights, encounters with NPCs and scripted interactions.
- Rely on auto pause during fights. Auto pause isn't just a cosmetic feature, it is an essential gameplay element used in almost every battle. Use it to plan out your future moves or to react to a current situation on a battlefield. You can also set when auto pause will activate (e.g. after noticing an enemy).
- Look for chances to get XP. In Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire, the biggest amount of points can be collected by completing quests so ask every NPC to receive new missions. Besides that, you should also fight a lot with monsters and try to visit every location - exploration is also rewarded with XP.
- Use stealth frequently. Sneaking is very helpful in numerous situations. The most important use is to perform Stealth Attacks. You can also use it to steal items from chests or to pickpocket someone (this also requires Sleight of Hand skill).
- Collect items that are useful in exploration. These items are lockpicks, prybars and grappling hooks. They can be used in certain places and they can help you unlock access to secret locations or to use alternate paths.
- Check out every newly received quest in your journal. Pillars of Eternity 2 doesn't have markers or any other "aids" that can help you find another place related to a given quest. You have to read descriptions of quests carefully. The game can inform you about a quest's difficulty by displaying skulls next to its name.
- Save frequently. It is easy to die in Pillars of Eternity 2 - this can be caused by, e.g. stronger monsters or traps. Use manual, quick and auto saves. Order your party members to rest if they received an injury (an inn or a campsite) - four injuries mean a permanent death.
Importing saves or choices from Pillars of Eternity 1
Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire has an option to import saves from the first installment. If you don't have any of them then you can make these choices yourself - those that can be done in the original game and in its expansion.
- If you have saves from PoE 1 then click on the option to import saves and choose a character - their choices will be transferred to the second game.
- The game allows you to choose one of the six predetermined histories if you don't have any saves. This is the fastest way of starting a campaign.
- You can also make those choices yourself, e.g. choose how you have acted during certain quests, what was the ending of the first game or decide on fate of the party members and other important NPCs. This setting is for both the original game and its expansion called The White March.
How to start - The first steps in Pillars of Eternity 2
Our guide for Pillars of Eternity 2 contains an extensive walkthrough for the entire game. Some of its pages and chapters are useful for those who have just began playing the game.
The first hour with the game
You first hour with PoE 2 Deadfire will be spend on creating your character, choosing events that took place in the past as well as on exploring the first few starting locations. Here are our recommendations for pages that you should check out at this point of the game:
- Character creation - Speak with Pale Knight to decide on your appearance, skills and stats (this happens right after starting the game).
- How to import a save from the first Pillars of Eternity game? - Depending on your preferences, you can import one of your saves from the first game, select one of the predetermined stories or make the most important decisions yourself.
- Prologue - This is the first main quest in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. Besides creating your character and choosing details about the past, you will also participate in your first battle and scripted interaction (interactive scenes with multiple choices).
- Vilario's Rest M1 - This is the first bigger location that you reach after finishing the prologue. Here, you get a chance to find your first treasures and you can meet with friendly NPCs. The game will also add a few new quests to your journal. However, some of them can't be started right away.
- Sea Cave M2 - This cave is adjacent to Vilario's Rest. Visiting it is completely optional but it is a great place for getting XP and practicing fights with monsters or disarming traps.
Further exploration of Maje Island
This island is the place where you will spend your first few hours. You can't leave this place until you complete two main quests related to it. However, this isn't a hindrance - by spending a few hours here you will prepare your party for travels to other parts of the world. This is also a great opportunity to learn about the combat system, exploration or stealth mechanics. Here are our recommendations for pages that you can visit:
- Encounters and other locations on Maje Island - The main map of the island can be viewed after leaving Valerio's Rest. Our guide contains information on attractions and threats that await you on Maje Island.
- Port Maje Harbor M3 - This is the main town location on the first island in the game. Here, you can start new quests or meet with merchants in order to sell useless items.
- Stranded and To Hunt a God - These are the two main quests that you receive after reaching the island. They share a lot of elements. Completing them both is mandatory if you want to proceed forward with the main storyline and unlock the option to travel freely on the world map.
- Engwithan Digsite M8 and Arena Sub-level M9 - These are two important locations on the island that you have to visit in order to complete the main quests. In the Digsite your objective is to find Animats and find traces of Eothas' presence. Arena Sub-level is a dungeon - there, you have to look for Oderisi and reach a pillar of shining adra.
Questions and answers
Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire is a difficult and complex game. Check out the FAQ section if you have any problems:
- I want to develop my party faster - Check How to easily get XP? page - Experience points can be collected by completing quests, visiting locations and defeating monsters.
- I need gold for better equipment - Check How to get rich fast? page - You can get gold by completing side quests, selling items that you have found in the world or by stealing.
- I can't open a door or a chest - Check How to open locked doors and chests? page - Develop the Mechanics skill or try to always carry a lot of lockpicks.
- My character has received an injury - Check How and where can I rest? page - Characters receive injuries when they get knocked down on the ground during battles or when they stand on a trap. Resting is the only way to remove these injuries. Ignoring them will lead to a character's permanent death.
- I have allocated points for my character in the wrong way - Check Can I allocate skill points again? page - Visit one of the merchants and pay for training that will allow you to redo (or reset) the points.
Getting familiar with the player interface before you start your adventure is highly recommended. By doing that you will be able to quickly reach the most important options and commands. Remember that you can change the interface by going to the main menu. You can choose from a few different settings (all of them have different placements of icons and buttons).
1 Portraits of your party members - They show you your current party. By clicking on a portrait, you open a quick bar where you can find skills, quick items and a currently equipped weapon. Next to the portraits you can find icons for AI settings and the crafting menu.
2 Here, you can find six icons that are responsible for attacking, selecting an entire party, formation settings, resting and activating stealth mode.
3 Another set of icons that gives you quick access to: equipment, character sheets, journal, map, ship management screen and the game's general options.
4 Notifications. Here, you can find information regarding the gameplay and your fights as well as all dialog lines. You can change its size by moving the cursor on one of the box's edges and holding the left mouse button.
Learning the basics is very important - by doing that the game will provide you with better experience. The chapters listed below contain information about the basic gameplay mechanics found in PoE 2:
PoE vs PoE II - On this page you can find a list of the most important new features of Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. Some of them include the ability to travel around the world by using a ship, a chance to command multiclass characters or an option to rely on party assist rolls.
Choosing a difficulty level - Select an appropriate difficulty level before you start your adventure. This page also contains information on additional modifiers that affect the overall difficulty.
Exploration and interaction with environment - Explore the game's world and find hidden treasures! In this chapter you can learn about exploration of new locations on the world map. Also, you can read about attractions and potential threats that await your heroes.
Combat - Here, you can find information about the combat system as well as a few tips on how to be victorious. We have listed hints on how to prepare yourself for a battle, which party members are worth choosing, how to help yourself with your companions' AI settings, how to deal with problematic enemies or how to completely regenerate your characters' life after a battle.
General information about travelling by using a ship - One of the new features of Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire is the ability to command your own ship. Here, we inform you when you can use a ship, how it affects exploration, how to take care of your crew's well-being and what are the potential threats that await your party on open waters (e.g. a sea battle).
Basic information about party - In Pillars of Eternity 2 your character isn't alone but accompanied by up to four other members. Check out which classes are worth choosing and how to make a good formation that will help your party survive on a battlefield.
Creating and developing a character
For many, creating a character is the most important part of an RPG. Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire offers a great number of options and, what is the most important, almost every minor or bigger decision will have impact on your adventure. Check out these chapters for an easier start!
Character creation - This page contains all the steps necessary for creating your own character. We have also highlighted the most important decisions such as, e.g. choosing a main class or choosing two classes (a multiclass character).
Character sheet - Check out the character sheet for your hero to learn the most important information about your character.
Active and passive skills - What do they offer? This chapter contains a complete list of all available skills. Here, you can learn about active skills (e.g. Mechanics, Alchemy, Athletics) and the passive ones (e.g. Metaphysics, Bluff, Intimidate) and how they impact the game.
Leveling up - What should I do to level up and what profits it gives me? Answers to these and other questions can be found on the related page.
Choosing a class is one of the most important decisions in every RPG. Our guide contains descriptions of every class in PoE 2 Deadfire as well as illustrative builds and ways of developing those classes.
Pillars of Eternity 2 offers a lot of hot keys which makes giving orders or checking your characters' stats much easier. The table below contains the most important buttons and keys used during the game:
Select a character / Move / Interact / Attack - the function of the button changes depending on the cursor's position.
Stealth - try to have it activated as much as you can, especially during exploration of locations where you can encounter monsters.
Highlight possible interactions - use this function in every newly visited location. By doing that you will easily find interactive objects, important NPCs or chests.
Pause - the game can activate a pause by itself but you should also do that when, e.g. a situation on a battlefield has suddenly changed.
Quick save - save your game frequently in case you come across powerful monsters or you are trapped.
Character sheet - here, you can see the most important stats of a given character, including current statuses (positive or negative). You can also check out other tabs, e.g. the one where you can learn about a character's reputation.
Equipment - check out your inventory every time you get or find a new and valuable item.
Journal - the game informs you about adding or updating your quests by displaying information in the upper left corner of the screen. The journal always contains additional information.
Map - some maps are visible right away but others must be discovered first; you can also switch to the world map.
About Pillars Of Eternity 2 Deadfire Game Guide
Author : Grzegorz "Alban3k" Misztal & Jacek "Stranger" Halas & Radoslaw "Wacha" Wasik for gamepressure.com
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Video Game
- genre: RPG
- developer: Obsidian Entertainment
- publisher: Versus Evil
- platform: PC
More About Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
2018 should be as good as 2017. Among the potential hits there’s the sequel to Red Dead Redemption, the long-anticipated third part of Kingdom Hearts, the visually splendid remake of Shadow of the Colossus, and the incredibly atmospheric Vampyr.
The glory days of crowdfunding are a thing of the past – which doesn’t mean that nobody’s willing to help fund ambitious undertakings anymore. Here’s a selection of the most interesting crowdfunding projects of the last several months.
„The Golden Age of RPG is upon us”, said Brian Fargo and got busy working on three separate projects. There are, however, many more RPGs worthy of attention out there, so we’ve cooked up a list of the best titles yet to come.
During the Digital Dragons conference, we interviewed Feargus Urquhart , the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. He revealed that the company is working on Pillars of Eternity II and an unannounced game on Unreal Engine with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky.