Key points of Hitman 3 - Dartmoor - Important locations
This page of the Hitman 3 guide has a map of Dartmoor and the most important information about the second mission story called Death in the Family. You will find out the main areas on the map of Dartmoor, what are the objectives and unique features of this mission, and what are the rewards for reaching the next levels of England mastery.
Information about Death in the Family mission
The action of this mission takes place in Thornbridge Manor, which is located in the Dartmoor region in England. The Carlisle family is meeting here. The reason for that is an internal investigation into the alleged suicide of a member of the Carlisle family, Zachary.
The mission area consists of:
- A small road leading to the manor's gate - The starting point is nearby.
- Areas surrounding the property - There is a lot of open space here. Agent 47 has to watch out for, among other things, two-man patrols. You can avoid them by, for example, hiding in the bushes.
- The main building of the property - It has three floors. There are numerous rooms on each floor except the top one. There are also secret rooms inside the building that may go between some public rooms.
- Gardens at the rear of the property - A greenhouse is there but the building is locked.
- Cemetery on the property - A mortician resides there. Burial is also scheduled there.
This mission is reminiscent of, e.g. the Colorado level from Hitman 1 and that's because almost the entire map is a restricted area. Agent 47 can only move freely near the place where you start the mission. Once you reach the main gate, you will encounter guards standing near the entrance.
There are a few ways in which you can deal with these restricted areas:
- Sneak a lot - You can hide in bushes, behind hedges, and other large objects.
- Use unique disguises - Agent 47 can assume the identity of, among others, a private detective hired by Alexa to investigate the death of a family member, a photographer, or a mortician. A bodyguard outfit also gives you a lot of freedom.
- Climb gutters and ledges - this will help you avoid, for example, using guarded stairs. Additionally, you can unlock shortcuts in several places – this will help you reach the upper floors more easily in subsequent playthroughs.
This mission requires you to assassinate only one person – Alexa Carlisle. She is one of the partners (high-ranking leaders) of Providence, which is a secret and very influential group that rules the world from the shadows.
Alexa can initially perform several unique activities, including meeting with a hired private investigator. Later in the mission, she will travel move through various rooms on the first floor of the building. The woman is accompanied by a single bodyguard throughout the majority of time.
The mission has three story missions – they are about eliminating Alexa under unique circumstances. Apart from that, you can deal with other challenges related to eliminating the woman in different ways.
An additional mandatory objective is to obtain Case File on Arthur Edwards. Agent 47 may deal with this before or after assassinating Alexa.
The game allows you to get the files in two different ways - by taking them out of Alexa's safe or by obtaining two tokens belonging to Rebecca Carlisle and the butler.
An optional mission objective requires you to photograph tracks. These are marked on the map with camera icons. You must take the camera out of Agent 47's inventory and stand in the correct spot to take the picture. Doing this may complete some of the challenges for taking certain photos.
The map has several different exits but not all of them are available by default – you may need to, e.g. obtain a boat key.
List of walkthrough pages
The Death in the Family mission in Dartmoor is very extensive. We have described it in detail on the following pages:
- Mission story - Death in the Family - We have described in detail three extended mission stories thanks to which you will be able to eliminate Alexa in a clever way.
- Assassinating Alexa Carlisle - On this page, we have compiled other variants of eliminating Alexa that are not related to mission stories.
- Obtain Case File on Arthur Edwards - This is the second mandatory mission objective. You can obtain the files in two different ways.
- Poison - how to get it? - In Dartmoor, you can find different varieties of rat poison as well as a deadly poison that can kill Alexa.
- The puzzle with the hidden safe - On this page, we described a puzzle in Alexa's office. Solving it allows you to get to the safe.
- Secret rooms - how to open them? - Learn what you have to do to open secret rooms in the mansion.
- Best Disguises in Dartmoor - We've put together some unique disguises that will make it easier for you to navigate the map and kill Alexa.
- Photo spots - Dartmoor - On this page, we have listed places where you can use your camera and take photos of tracks or documents.
- Dartmoor map - how to leave? - Learn how to leave the estate after completing both mandatory mission objectives.
Mastery and awards
Dartmoor is one of the larger maps in Hitman 3 and its maximum mastery level is 20. You gain XP needed to advance to the next mastery levels by doing the challenges associated with the Dartmoor map. Below you can find the full list of rewards for advancing to the next mastery levels.
REWARD AND COMMENT
Stash - Deliveries. It is located on the side of the mansion and is adjacent to the kitchen, among other things. This is not a particularly helpful place to be, as there is at least 1 guard as well as service personnel in the area.
Lockpick Mk III. This is a very helpful gadget that will make it much easier for you to gain access to locked rooms. This is especially helpful for the greenhouses in the garden – you can open the doors inside the mansion using the Master Key from Mr. Fernsby's (the buttler's) office.
Large stash - Bathroom. The bathroom located on the first floor of the building.
New starting location - The Garden. Agent 47 can start the mission disguised as a gardener. This can make the mission take less time to complete. You will not have to complete the long journey from the default starting point to the main part of the mansion. In the garden, you can get a "better" disguise by assaulting a guard, service worker or photographer.
Stash - Greenhouse. Placing an item there can help you, for example, if you want to get to the greenhouse more efficiently. The cache is not inside the (closed) greenhouse, but behind it.
ICA19 Shortballer pistol. A pistol with a suppressor that is well suited for single-shot eliminations.
New starting location - Staff Room. Agent 47 can start disguised as a Mansion Guard. This disguise is not quite as good as a bodyguard's, but it will still allow you to move around more freely than when playing as a gardener or service worker.
Large stash - Changing Room. This is one of the rooms reserved for employees.
Poison - Sedative Poison Vial. It has a different effect from e.g. a rat poison because the poisoned person loses consciousness immediately. This may mean a greater risk of being detected.
New starting location - Back of the mansion. You will start in Agent 47's default outfit, but near the greenhouse. It can make the mission easier if you plan to do some activities in the garden area or want to reach Emma from here.
Large stash - Cemetery. The case can be placed near one of the gravestones. This can be helpful if you're planning to murder Alexa in the graveyard or just want to smuggle in a large piece of equipment without getting past the entrance gate guards.
ICA Remote Audio Distraction Mk III. It is remotely activated. The device may come in handy when completing missions with the default Agent 47 outfit.
New starting location - Library. Agent 47 can start disguised as a member of the Mansion Staff. Not a particularly helpful disguise unless you intend to get rid of Alexa in the library. However, there are many security guards around the library – you can get the outfit from one of them.
Stash - Library. A small item can be hidden between books.
Kukri Knife. It is not a particularly useful weapon. However, it has a unique look and description.
Large stash - Hallway. The hallway upstairs. This can help you if you plan to do some actions related to assassinating Alexa from somewhere higher or reaching the safe.
Explosive Proximity Duck. It responds to movement and features a unique design.
New starting location - Zachary's Bedroom. Agent 47 can begin the mission disguised as a Private Investigator. It is a great starting location. Not only can you easily meet Alexa by claiming to be a detective, but you can also start in the harder to reach part of the mansion.
Stash - Laundry Room. This is one of the rooms on the first floor of the mansion.
New starting condition - Main Road. This variant differs in that the family reunion has already begun when Agent 47 arrived. This may allow you to shorten some of the preparation for killing Alexa.
Weapon - Walking Cane. This is the same walking cane that you can find in the mansion. You can use it to open secret rooms. Take the cane on the mission and open secret rooms faster.
New starting conditions - Behind Mansion. This variant differs in that the family reunion has already begun when Agent 47 arrived. This may allow you to shorten some of the preparation for killing Alexa.
Agent 47 costume - Classic Cut Long Coat Suit with Gloves. This suit does not have any unique properties. It simply allows you to change the appearance of Agent 47.
Bartoli Woodsman Hunting Sniper Rifle. If you want to take a sniper rifle with you on the mission, you will need to place it in the briefcase. Agent 47 can start the mission with the briefcase or it can be delivered to one of the large stashes.