This page of the Baldurs Gate 3 game guide describes how to talk to animals. This may be for example to gain secret knowledge, or to persuade an animal not to attack the party. In addition, we suggest how to charm an animal.
Unlocking conversations with animals
Communication with animals is possible in several different ways:
- Using the spell called Speak with Animals, which is a level 1 spell available in the early access Ranger characters.
- Drinking the Potion of Animal Speaking - you can find this kind of potion in the game world (e.g. witch's hideout at Teahouse) or look at different traders.
- Using the Beast Speech - this is a Level 2 skill available to Warlocks. Its advantage is that you don't lose a spell slot.
How do you talk to animals?
After choosing a spell, potion or invocation, you must click on the animal you encounter. You can:
- Trigger a brief response from the animal.
- Trigger a longer conversation with the animal in question.
The ability to talk to Animals rewards experimentation. In general, it is worth trying to "talk" to all the animals you encounter, especially since communicating with the animals is not a one-off action requiring you to rest after each time.
Examples of interactions with animals from the game's initial locations include:
- You can talk to the squirrels sitting around Alfira next to the Druid Grove. For the record, Alfira is a woman trying to compose another song.
- You can talk to a bear sleeping by the elevator at the Druid Grove.
- You can talk to the owlbear once you reach his nest located in the woods west of Druid Grove. This may be to avoid fighting this powerful monster.
Charm - friendship with animals
Another way to establish a friendly relationship with an animal is to use the charm. It refers to the Animal Friendship spell. This spell in the early access version can be unlocked by Rangers but you can also find a ready-to-use scroll.
This spell charms the animal so that it does not attack the team. This spell, however, has some requirements and limitations:
- The animal's intelligence level must be less than 4.
- Attacking or injuring a charmed animal will cause it to turn on the team.
This is still an excellent way to avoid attacks from strong animals, e.g. to explore their lairs or to walk safely past them.