There are two possible ways of installing the modifications for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - you can do it either manually or using a tool called Nexus Mod Manager. The first method might be faster and does not require you to install any additional pieces of software, however, when using Nexus Mod Manager all the modifications are sorted by categories and it is easier to manage them.
One should remember that any interference with the game's files - like installing a mod - might result in the corruption of either the save files or even the entire game. This is why one should make a backup copy of the save files. These are located in the folder My Documents\Witcher 3\gamesaves.
- Find the location where you have installed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
- In there, create a new folder called Mods.
- Place all the files of the downloaded modifications in the newly created folder.
- The manual above is just a set of general steps. Very often, installing modifications for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is much more complex - in such cases, we have added proper tips to the mod description.
Nexus Mod Manager
- Go to this website - Nexus Mods. Create a free account and download the Nexus Mod Manager tool.
- Install the program and start it.
- Now, Nexus Mod Manager will scan your discs to find the titles it supports. If the paths of game files are correct, confirm them.
- Next, go to this website - Nexus Mods Witcher 3 and download the modifications you are interested in. You can use the DOWNLOAD WITH MANAGER button, Nexus Mod Manager will then automatically turn on and download the chosen modification (remember, you have to be logged in both on the website and in the program).
- You can also choose the download manually option, however, in this case, you will have to indicate the modification's localization manually in Nexus Mod Manager. You can do this using the green plus icon.
- Now you just have to find the modification in Nexus Mod Manager and double-click on it (LMB) to initiate its installation.
- Upon completing all the aforementioned steps, the modification is already active.