Assassins Creed Valhalla: Old Wounds Assassin's Creed Valhalla guide, walkthrough
Last update: Wednesday, December 21, 2022
On this page of our guide for Assassin's Creed Valhalla you will find a detailed walkthrough for the mission titled Old Wounds.
Birstan and Estrid are planning to part, but their parting will not be easy because of their political ties. Eivor helps Estrid to arrange her kidnapping so that she can return to her native France.
Rewards: 6800 XP.
Talk to Estrid
You will find Estrid at the bazaar. From the conversation you will learn that the woman wants to arrange her kidnapping during the harvest festival.
Follow Estrid to talk to the captain of the ship, Rollo, who will take the woman to France. You'll find him in a nearby brothel.
After a while, Anglo-Saxon soldiers will appear, wanting to take Rollo with them because the king's men want to ask him some questions.
Outside, you will have to fight with a whole squad of guards, including several elite units. Rollo will fight at your side.
Join Rollo at his camp
Go with Rollo to his camp. However, if you want to do some other things first, the camp is located north of the town, at the mouth of the river.
If Rollo gets stuck somewhere during his journey to the camp and can't go on, you can leave him alone. Once you get there, he will immediately appear in the camp and you can continue the task.
Rollo's camp is a battlefield. Some of his people were murdered and the rest were tied up and left on their knees. Moreover, his boat was stolen.
Find the traitor
Everything seems to indicate that someone betrayed Rollo, and two of his most trusted people are under suspicion: Lork and Gerhild. Ask both witnesses and see what they have to say.
- Lork: the man took an oath to Rollo's father and has since then faithfully served Rollo. Lork claims he was hunting rabbits during the attack. He also saw Gerhild talking to some Saxon and accuses her of plotting something.
- Gerhild: The woman immediately says that she serves Rollo faithfully and proudly. Gerhild says she was on a hunt during the attack because their people need meat. She even mentions that she hunted a rabbit for stew - one of her commander's favorite dishes. She also denies what Lork said and denies the alleged conversation with a Saxon.
Talking to suspects unfortunately does not provide enough information to clearly identify the culprit. Take advantage of Odin's Sight to discover a hideout in the high red grass. Apparently somebody hid there and waited for the Saxons' attack or hid to avoid being caught.
Use Odin's Sight again and approach the hanger on which the meat drying. The camp is well supplied with food so they both lied about the hunt. Why would they chase after rabbits when they have plenty of food.
After you find additional evidence, talk to the suspects again and their versions of the events will change a bit.
- Gerhild: tell her that you found a rack full of meat so you know she wasn't hunting. The woman will admit that Eivor is smarter than they look and say that she was actually meeting her lover in the town;
- Lork: when you tell him that you found a rack full of meat and you know he wasn't hunting, he will admit that he was sleeping. He heard the Saxons breaking through the forest so he hid in the high grass.
The traitor is, of course, Gerhild and there are numerous evidence of this.
- There is enough food in the camp to feed the entire crew for a few days so they both lied about the hunt. Rollo says that Gerhild is a terrible hunter and was very surprised that she could've went hunting. He did not say that about Lork;
- Lork said he is under oath to Rollo's father and if he wanted to finish him off, he would have done it long ago;
- A hiding place in high grass confirms Lork's alibi - the man could hide there when the Saxons came;
- Gerhild is jealous of Rollo and claims he neglects his people by sleeping with the enemy;
- Lork saw Gerhild talking to a Saxon from his hiding place - it is possible that this is the alleged lover the woman mentioned during the conversation.
Once you point out the traitor, Rollo will not hesitate to pass a death sentence and execute it himself.
Find and rescue the Danes
Rollo's crew is held in a fortified camp - Walton harbor. If you want to get inside unnoticed it is worth to use the gap in the palisade, on the left side.
There is one alarm bell in the camp, so it would be a good idea to wreck it. If Eivor is discovered, soldiers will be unable to call for reinforcements.
You will find Normans in cages. You can save them right away to help you clear the camp from guards or finish off your enemies by yourself and then release the prisoners.
When all the guards stationed in the harbor are eliminated, Rollo will appear on site. It is time to discuss the conditions of Estrid's abduction. After a short conversation the mission will end and you will receive 6800 XP as a reward.