On this page of our guide for Assassin's Creed Valhalla you will find a detailed walkthrough for the A Fury from the Sea mission.
The Rueda clan took refuge in Burgh Castle. Eivor has a bold plan to break through the local defenses and break into the fortress. The Reeve of Theotford joined the fight together with his warriors.
Reward: 5100 XP.
- Travel to the forward camp
- Crash into Burgh Castle
- Break through the shipyard gate
- Break through the final gate
- Defeat Rued
- Speak to Oswald
Travel to the forward camp
When you get to the camp, talk to Finnr immediately. You will find him on the cliff, staring at Burgh Castle. It turned out that much more troops from entire East Anglia joined the fight against the Rueda clan.
When you agree to launch the attack, Finnr will explain the plan in detail. At this stage of the task you will also have to give a speech to the soldiers who will take part in the fight. There are three options to choose from:
- Remember Oswald's Sacrifice: the soldiers will shout out "For Oswald!" and charge into battle;
- This is battle for freedom: soldiers will start chanting "Freedom!" and will fight at your side;
- East Anglia needs you: soldiers will shout "For East Anglia" and be ready to fight.
The speech has no influence on the story of Assassin's Creed Valhalla. This is just an extra touch to add a little more realism and drama.
Crash into Burgh Castle
As soon as Eivor's troops start sailing towards the castle, their position will be discovered and the archers stationed on the walls will begin to shower the attackers with a hail of arrows. You must use the shield to protect yourself from the attack (Default L1/LB).
Break through the shipyard gate
Your soldiers will immediately start bringing a battering ram into the square. Use it to smash the first palisade of the castle.
When your men start leading the battering ram under the main gate, eliminate the soldiers who may interfere with breaking down the entrance to the fortress.
If you want to quickly get rid of the guards who have manned the walls, just shoot the red jugs to trigger explosions.
When the square is more or less cleared, grabbed by the battering ram and help your people break down the port gate.
Break through the final gate
Before your warriors bring a battering ram to the main gate you will have plenty of time to eliminate the enemy guards.
Wooden arrow launchers were placed on the walls, which can be destroyed. Aim the arrow at the structure's weak point and the enemy weapon will become useless. It is also worthwhile to shoot red jugs to cause an explosion and immediately finish off the archers who took positions on the walls.
Then, help your warriors break through the last gate and the entrance to the fortress will be open.
After breaking through to the heart of the fortress, Eivor notices that Oswald is alive and being held hostage by Rueda himself.
The road to Oswald will be blocked by a large number of guards. Beat them, then climb up to the palisade and get ready to fight Rued.
Rued, as befits a true Viking raider, will not fight fair. He has his loyal wolf to help him, which should be eliminated in the first place. The animal may cause you some trouble during the battle with the main opponent.
The fight with Rued is very similar to the battle with Leofrith. Rued wields a two-handed sword - his attacks are slow and telegraphed (yellow flash), but they can remove a good chunk of Eivor's health if they land. Rued's move set includes classic cuts, upward cuts, as well as overhead and broad horizontal cuts.
In addition to the standard, damaging abilities, Rued can also activate health regen. As soon as he kneels down and is surrounded by a white aura, attack immediately to break the spell, otherwise the opponent can regain full health.
Rued also has one ranged attack and will try to hit you with a flaming weapon. However, these attacks can be easily avoided or blocked.
During the battle, Rued will additionally set his two-handed sword on fire to inflict increased damage. Three hits with the flaming sword will set Eivor on fire and inflict fire damage over time.
When your opponent is defeated and Oswald is released, you will have to make an important decision about what will happen to Rued. Your decision will have serious consequences so you better think about it.
- Rued dies: Eivor kills Rued immediately (his body cannot be looted). Oswald will not approve of this decision and will make a speech about the fact that killing leads to nothing. People need to change in order to maintain peace in East Anglia. In spite of everything, he will still be Eivor's ally. Killing the enemy also prevents Oswald's wedding with Valdis being interrupted – you would have to fight Rued for the second time. What's more, Finnr will join Eivor's crew.
- Rued lives: Oswald will be pleased with your decision and will give a speech about the mercy that suits every warrior, even the fiercest ones. If you let Rued live, he will appear later at Oswald's and Valdis' wedding, where he will attack the King of East Anglia. Then you will have to make another important decision, which we have described in the mission Wedding Horns.
Speak to Oswald
No matter what decision you made concerning Rued, talk to Oswald to complete the task. You will receive 5100 XP.