On this page of our guide for Assassin's Creed Valhalla you will find information about who is the leader, the Grand Maegester, of the Order of the Ancients. You will learn what steps are required to identify the leader of the Order of the Ancients – The Father. By doing this, you will be able to deal with the Order working in Anglia.
Note - This page contains a huge spoiler regarding the leader of the Order of the Ancients. Learning his identity before you personally deal with the Order's plotline can spoil the surprise.
The Father is the nickname of the Grand Maegester, the leader of the Order of the Ancients. The Father's silhouette is visible from the very beginning on the tree of the Order of the Ancients. However, the details regarding his identity are kept secret until the very end of the game.
Here is a list of steps required to identify The Father, the Grand Maegester:
- Kill all 5 Maegesters and their subordinates – You can eliminate targets in any order
- Kill all zealots – Fanatics can be identified and killed in any order.
- Complete the main storyline, i.e. all the main sagas – plotlines related to different lands.
- Return to Ravensthorpe. Talk Hytham standing near the entrance to the settlement's main building – this way you will unlock a new quest caled The Poor Fellow Soldier.
As part of completing new quest, The Poor Fellow Soldier, you must visit the village of Aethelnay at the western end of Hamtunscire. You don't have to prepare for this expedition, because you do not fight the leader of Order of the Ancients.
After reaching the site, several cut-scenes will be triggered. You will find that the Grand Maegester / leader of Order of the Ancients in England is King Aelfred.
Eivor will refrain from killing Aelfred, because your conversation will reveal that he "inherited" the position of Grand Maegester and that he is in fact not interested in leading the grouping. Aelfred wants to live in peace in the countryside with people who do not know his true identity.
Completing the storyline of Order of the Ancients is awarded with:
- Thor's hood - this is one of the items required to complete Thor's set. You must return to the Ravensthorpe and collect this award from Hytham.
- Disorder of the Ancients trophy.
From Aelfred you will also receive a key to the office in Wincestre. You can optionally reach The Old Minster building in Wincestre. Enter the building and head to the floor where you will find closed doors. In the office you will find 3 notes about the Order of the Ancients.
Additional note - After meeting with Aelfred in the village of Aethelnay, you may experience problems with fast travel, i.e. you will be unable to move between fast travel points. The solution to this problem is to travel on horseback through the whole map back to Ravensthorpe. After you meet with Hytham in the settlement and officially finish the storyline of the Order of Ancients, fast travel will become available again.