Assassins Creed Valhalla: Order of the Ancients - basics Assassin's Creed Valhalla guide, walkthrough
Last update: Tuesday, December 1, 2020
On this page of the Guide to Assassin's Creed Valhalla you will find the most important information on the Order of the Ancients - a hostile group from the game world. You will learn how to unlock the tree of the Order of the Ancients' members, how to identify and kill people from the Order, as well as what rewards you'll get for eliminating them.
- Order of the Ancients - who are they?
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla: List of all members of the Order of the Ancients
- Fighting the Order of the Ancients - how to start?
- Identifying and eliminating members of the Order of the Ancients
- Rewards for killing the members of the Order of the Ancients
Order of the Ancients - who are they?
Order of the Ancients is one of two secret groups in Assassin 's Creed Valhalla. They are the ancestors of the Templars. Members of the Order are pagans and seek to control humanity by placing their members in influential positions. The Templars have a strict hierarchy in their ranks. Each Maegester has several subordinates under him/her - priests and palatines. The Order of the Ancients is led by one person - the Grand Maegester. Their identity is of course initially unknown.
The Order of the Ancients is fought by The Hidden Ones, which are the ancestors of the Order of Assassins. Eivor and other Vikings will help Hidden Ones to fight the Order of the Ancients.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla: List of all members of the Order of the Ancients
In AC Valhalla, you have to eliminate a total of 45 people associated with the Order of the Ancients –15 zealots (mercenaries), 29 members of the Order, and 1 leader of the Order - the Grand Maegester:
- Maegester 1 - The Rake
- Maegester 2 - The Lyre
- Maegester 3 - The Instrument
- Maegester 4 - The Vice
- Maegester 5 - The Keel
- Grand Maegester of the Order of the Ancients - The Father
Information about the members of the Order of the Ancients and their whereabouts can be found on the next pages of this chapter. We divided them according to the Maegesters, i.e. the members of the Order of the middle level - most of them are subordinate to several people. Separate pages contain information about all the zealots/fanatics and about the leader of the Order – killing that person will ultimately end the Order of the Ancients' plotline.
Fighting the Order of the Ancients - how to start?
Eivor is not initially aware of the existence of the Order of the Ancients, nor is he aware of their "eternal" conflict with the Hidden Ones. You can change this by setting up a Hidden Ones' Office in the Ravensthorpe settlement. It costs 400 building materials and 30 raw materials - you can acquire these by organizing raids to abbeys in the game world.
From assassin Hytham, you will learn that the Order of the Ancients has spread throughout England and that it will be necessary to eliminate its members.
Identifying and eliminating members of the Order of the Ancients
The game will add a tab about the Order of the Ancients to the pause menu. It is built like a tree - each field on this tree is a member of the Order, and in the beginning, you will know the identity of only a few of them.
The mechanics of fighting the Order of the Ancients is very similar to eliminating the Cult of Kosmos from Assassin's Creed Odyssey game. Your task is to climb the Order's hierarchy. Eliminating the less important members of the Order (priests and palatines) will help you discover the identity of the higher members - the Maegesters. At the very end, you will have to identify and eliminate the leader of the Order of the Ancients – the Grand Maegester.
There are three ways in which you identify the members of the Order of the Ancients. The first method is to follow the main storyline. You will automatically discover some of the members of the Order – killing them will also be part of the story. In this way, you will eliminate 13 members of the Order of the Ancients.
Don't try to kill members of the Order related to quests when exploring the game world. Theoretically, you shouldn't be able to do this, however, since the game has various glitches and bugs, you may kill someone by accident. If you accidentally kill someone before you start a related assassination quest, your save files may get corrupted. You won't be able to use these save files anymore. You will have to go back to one of those made during the previous chapters.
The safest thing to do is to complete the main plot first, and then search for the other members of the Order. This will eliminate the risk of glitching a quest.
The second method is to look for the zealots traveling around the world. They have been on the map from the very beginning of the game, but due to the high suggested power, fighting them is initially impossible. It is worth noting here that many zealots patrol areas – they don't stand still. You may be forced to explore a whole region or even several neighboring regions to find some of them.
When you get close enough to a zealot, you will see the information that they have been identified. They will be visible on the Order of the Ancients' tree. You don't have to fight the identified zealot right away – you can move away after revealing their identity.
The third method is to find clues that will get you closer to discovering the identity of some of the members. Obtaining all the clues will reveal that character's card and show their current location. As for the members of the Order located close to the bottom, you will need 2-3 clues to find them. However, the majority of the Maegesters will require 6 clues.
If you see a crosshair icon next to the character icon in the Order's tree, it may mean that there is a hint on how to get the next clue. In the example from the picture, you can learn that you need to visit the Roman ruins in Ledecestre and win a drunken tournament.
There are several ways to collect traces:
- Get them by killing zealots – strong mercenaries traveling on the world map. On the tree they are placed on the sides.
- Eliminate members of the Order – A dead member can leave a clue on their "superior", that is, a person above them in the Order's hierarchy, as well as on another character of the same importance.
- They can be found in the game world – These can be documents lying around, left by defeated "ordinary" enemies, or obtained from completing optional activities (e.g. winning an orlog game or drunken competition) and helping the inhabitants of the land.
- They are obtained by forming alliances, i.e. by completing the storylines related to the allies in England.
As for tracking members of the Order who can give you the next clues, there are unfortunately two problems:
- You cannot kill a member of the Order if you have not yet discovered any clues on them. Even if you reach the location shown in our guide, this person may not be there at all. Try to get at least the first clue (usually by killing the right zealot).
- If you don't get 100% of the clues on a given member of the Order, the game will not mark them in any way. You can reach the location by following our walkthrough, but you will have trouble locating that person. The problem may be even bigger if the person you are looking for is a civilian – they won't be marked red when using Odin's Sight.
We recommend finding 100% of the clues – after revealing the full card you will be able to mark the character you are looking for. Their yellow icon will appear on the map and on the screen.
If you have managed to track down a member of the Order of the Ancients before collecting 100% of their clues, you can ignore the missed one – you won't need them.
Once you reach a location with a member of the Order, you can focus solely on eliminating the target or just start fighting and get rid of that person in addition.
The members of the Order are in most cases "ordinary" opponents, so they can be killed with a hidden blade. If you didn't use the hidden blade to kill a person from the Order, you will have to confirm it, i.e., stand over the corpse and hold the Triangle/Y.
If you have correctly completed all the steps, you will receive a confirmation of the disposal of the member of the Order (picture above).
Rewards for killing the members of the Order of the Ancients
Eliminating the members of the Order allows gaining experience points and obtaining unique loot - the Order of the Ancients Medalion.
With the medallions, you can return to Hytham in the Hidden Ones' office in the settlement.
The first rewards you get for delivering the 4 medallions are Poison Strike and Ranged Poison Strike abilities. Thanks to them you can poison opponents (in melee combat or with poisoned arrows).
The second reward for giving the assassin 6 more medals unlocks Fire Strike and Ranged Fire Strike abilities. You can use them to set fire to melee weapons and shoot flaming arrows.
The next rewards are improvements to Poison and Fire Strike abilities(to second level). This will make your abilities even more effective and powerful.
There are two rewards for dealing with the entire Order in Anglia:
- Disorder of the Ancients gold trophy.
- Thor's Cape - The item is received from Hytham after giving him the last set of medallions (including the medallion of the Grand Maegester of the Order). This is one of 5 items from Thor's set required to get the Mjolnir hammer. We have described it in more detail on Thor's Hammer - Mjolnir - how to get it? page.