This page of the guide to Assassin's Creed Valhalla has the most important information about Drakkar - the ship you use to travel around the game world. You will learn how to unlock access to the ship, how to call for the Drakkar, and how to modify the ship and its crew.
Drakkar is the name of the Viking ship that you will shortly after the game begins, namely after defeating the first boss Rikiwulf as part of the Honor Bound main quest.
Apart from Eivor, the ship will also have its crew - the Vikings who will carry out your orders.
Traveling by ship has two main functions:
- Reaching locations divided by large water reservoirs.
- Raiding settlements located by the water. The game will inform you about the option to raid a given location when you get closer to it. The raids are described in more detail on a separate page of the guide.
While traveling around the game world with Drakkar, you can either personally control the ship or use the "autopilot". The ship can automatically travel along the coastline (this is useful when you want to discover new areas) and automatically sail towards the current mission goal.
You can develop the sails to move faster. This option may not be available, e.g. if you are close to the shore or if you are sailing down a narrow river.
You can summon the Drakkar by using the horn - this is one of the options on the radial menu displayed by holding down on the d-pad. This is a useful feature if you want to quickly resume your journey. There are also ports where you can dock the ship, e.g. to visit a village near the port.
Eivor is accompanied by their crew. Your Vikings help not only to power the ship, but can also participate in battles after reaching the land. The game allows you to raid monasteries and other hostile locations that are right next to water.
You can call the Drakkar crew for help using the horn. This is very useful, for example, when you have been spotted in an enemy location. After using the horn, the Drakkar's crew will reach the location where you are and join the fight.
Build barracks in your settlement to unlock the option to modify the Drakkar's crew. You can:
- Create your own Viking that can be recruited by other players (you must be online).
- Find Jomsvikings created by other players and recruit them to your crew by paying them with silver.
- Modify the crew based on the Jomsvikings you have.
The modifications of the ship's crew described above are cosmetic. They have no impact on the effectiveness of the crew.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla allows you to change the appearance of your Drakkar ship. You can do this by finding, receiving, or buying schemes. To modify the ship you have to build a shipyard in Ravensthorpe. This will unlock the option to modify the ship.
All changes in the ship's appearance are cosmetic and do not affect its statistics in any way. You can change the general appearance of the ship and install additional decorations on it.
You can also go to the in-game store and spend real money (Helix Credits) on cosmetic items that change the Drakkar's appearance.
Other ways of sailing
The Drakkar ship is not the only way to reach locations separated by water. There are also alternative methods:
- Swimming - It is more helpful if, for example, you only have to swim down a small river.
- Using smaller boats - You can find and interact with them.
- Swimming on the horse's back - At first this option is not available. You must first build a stable in the Viking settlement and then pay for training to teach the hero's mount how to swim.