This page of the guide to Resident Evil Village contains information on how to avoid Lady Dimitrescu, the giant vampire in the castle. You will find out if fights with Lady Dimitrescu are mandatory, what to do when you see Lady Dimitrescu in your way, and how to drive off and defeat Lady Dimitrescu's daughters.
Lady Dimitrescu - general information and tips
As a reminder, Lady Dimitrescu is a nearly 3-meter tall vampire who you first meet shortly after reaching the castle. In some scenes she is accompanied by her three daughters, whom you also may have to confront.
Some scenes involving Lady Dimitrescu are scripted and linked to the main plot. In the sample scene in the image above, Ethan will be briefly captured, which you will not be able to skip. Fortunately, this does not apply to 100% of the confrontations with Lady Dimitrescu.
The first fully interactive confrontation with Lady Dimitrescu occurs as you explore the dungeons, and even then you will very quickly see that the only solution is to escape. Don't try to attack Lady Dimitrescu with guns because, unlike her daughters, this will not make her temporarily go away.
Lady Dimitrescu is a similar enemy to Mr.X from Resident Evil 2 Remake. She pursues hand-to-hand combat in which she can deal Ethan some heavy damage. When running from Lady Dimitrescu, remember to sprint, as it is unlimited in this game. You can also use the option to quickly pivot 180 degrees to run in the opposite direction (left analog down and press Circle/B).
After you have made enough progress in the game Lady Dimitrescu will begin to roam around the castle and hunt for Ethan. Here are the key features of this mechanic:
- Lady Dimitrescu's appearance is signalled by music and you can also hear her voice. This is especially helpful in that you don't have to look around for her throughout the whole game.
- Attacking Lady Dimitrescu is again just a waste of resources because she cannot be killed or effectively driven off.
- Running away is still the best reaction. At first you may think that Lady Dimitrescu is blocking you from getting to your desired location, but if you open the map, you will see that there should be at least two paths to your current destination. Just use the one that isn't blocked by the vampire.
- Lady Dimitrescu can join fights with other monsters. If she is currently following Ethan, it is best to dodge the standard monsters or deal with them faster, e.g. by using a shotgun.
- She does not chase Ethan all the time. Lady Dimitrescu's actions are largely scripted. She may drop the chase temporarily e.g. if you reach a new section of the castle with puzzles to solve or return to a typewriter room.
- The opportunity for a full-fledged fight with Lady Dimitrescu comes later in the game. We have described the final fight with her in the Bosses section.
The daughters - three vampires
Lady Dimitrescu is not the only "elite" character you will face on your first visit to the castle. Ethan is also hunted by the giant vampiress's three daughters - Bela, Cassandra and Daniela. Despite their less intimidating stature, they too are very dangerous and can weaken or kill Ethan easily.
Lady Dimitrescu's daughters appear at specific locations in the castle. The game features two main types of such confrontation. The first type are encounters in corridors and other locations where where the daughters only block your way further. You can shoot them so that they turn into a cloud of flies for a moment and start running away. The game will not allow you to kill the vampires you encounter right away.
The second type are the scripted encounters with Lady Dimitrescu's daughters. During each of the three duels, Ethan must use a trick to weaken a daughter and then attack her in order to defeat her. All such fights are described in detail in the Bosses section. Any defeated daughter will not come back to life.