On this page of the Humankind game guide you will learn how to advance to the Ancient Era.
The civilisation advancement system in the game Humankind is unusual. Each era needs to cross specific thresholds, which divide the game into stages called Eras. These are the special requirements necessary to complete the challenges of a given era. Each era presents a different set of challenges, but these requirements aren't very complicated. Once the required number of Era Stars is collected, the player can move on to the next era and can select a new culture! Thus, each stage of the game is different and provides completely new opportunities.
You will need to earn one of the 3 Era Stars to advance to the Ancient Era: In the Neolithic Era, there aren't many development options to choose from. Only once you proceed to the Ancient Era can you establish your first city and start the game proper. Without cities, you will not be able to train new units or build new cities, acquire technologies or introduce new Civics. Cities are the backbone of your empire. Additionally, if you don't advance fast enough, you might lose access to certain cultures. If another tribe advances before you, then their chosen culture will be inaccessible to others.
The 3 categories in which you can earn stars during the Neolithic Era are listed below:
- Hunter Star - hunting for animals increases this indicator score. Every mammoth or deer unit you defeat counts towards this score. You have to defeat 5 units.
- Growth Star - increase the size of your tribe to 5 units. The way you accomplish this is not important, so you can earn it by acquiring units from random events or simply by collecting food and increasing the group size. What matters is that you have 5 units at the same time.
- Knowledge Star - you must collect 10 scientific curiosities bonuses. This is one of the easiest ways to progress to the next era and influence points will come in handy when developing your nation.
In the following eras, you will have to earn up to 7 Era Stars, but there will be more methods to acquire them. You will also be able to earn bronze, silver and gold star ranks and additional Fame points.
Choose a culture that fits your situation on the map. When you choose to advance to the next era, you will be able to select a unique culture. This way, you will not only change the appearance of your avatar, but the new culture will also provide unique bonuses, districts and units. It is worth choosing a culture that will help in the development of your nation. It's important to keep an eye on the events taking place and to the surrounding area. Below you will find examples that are worth following:
- Are your cities located near the sea and numerous water reservoirs? Perhaps it's a good idea to select the Phoenicians, who have a special port and earn better yields from sea tiles.
- There are many enemies nearby? Choose Assyrians or Mycenaeans. Both cultures get bonuses to combat, movement, fortifications and they have strong military units.
- You want to focus on development and expansion? The Egyptians have bonuses to production and their pyramids count as emblematic districts. Selecting Nubians and Olmecs is also a good idea if you want to increase the development rate of your cities.
- In turn, the Zhou or Babylonians get bonuses to science. Science points are difficult to gain in the early stages of the game, and rapid progress in technology can give you a significant advantage over your opponents.