Reilly's rangers compound
AREAS OF INTEREST
- You'll probably visit this area for the first time while trying to complete Reilly's rangers subquest. I would strongly recommend that you talk to Reilly in the first place. You can find her in the Underworld (Museum of history). The main reason is that you'll be granted access to the compound, without having to brake in.
- Notice that you won't be able to meet other rangers unless you've successfully completed Reilly's rangers assignment.
- Once you've completed the quest and returned to the compound talk to Reilly again. If you're polite you'll be given a second assignment. Reilly will ask you to provide assistance in creating a map of Capitol Wasteland. You should be able to receive a device called GeoMapper. This item will automatically upload new primary locations from your Pip-Boy. I would recommend visiting Reilly from time to time in order to collect rewards (bottle caps) for unlocked locations.
- You can inspect the area to the west of Reilly's rangers compound if you want to. Look for a small alley between two buildings. You should notice that some lunatic is shouting random words. Follow his voice to get closer to his hideout. Order your companion to stay behind and approach the target area alone. You must be extremely careful, because if you're spotted, the lunatic will blow up this entire area. Approach the western building (screen) and throw a grenade at the madman. Once he's gone you may begin collecting nearby items. You will come across inactive landmines, as well as several mininukes for your fatman!
- Donovan (Reilly's rangers compound) - repairing items
- Butcher (Reilly's rangers compound) - healing, lowering radiation
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Upon leaving Enclave's base you can meet Fawkes, however this will only occur if you saved him in Vault 87. The beast will not only help you in defeating some of the remaining Enclave soldiers, but will also make an offer to join you. Be warned - you must be playing as a good character, because otherwise Fawkes will only clear the area.
- Fawkes - If you rescued Fawkes during your exploration of Vault 87 you will be allowed to meet him after you successfully escaped from Raven Rock. Like I've already said, you must have positive karma. He is by far the best teammate you can have. Fawkes is not only strong, but he's also carrying an extremely powerful Gatling laser.
The Republic of Dave
AREAS OF INTEREST
- During your visit to The Republic of Dave you are going to be greeted by a young girl named Rachael. It shouldn't be too difficult to convince her to let you in. You can now ask her to take you directly to president Dave or you can find him on your own. Dave can be found inside The Capitol building.
- You can ask president Dave to grant you with an asylum. This can be done by giving him 250 bottle caps or by bringing him a hunting rifle. I'd strongly recommend choosing the second possibility, because the rifle is used by many bandits, raiders and supermutants, so it shouldn't be a problem to get one. Alternatively you can convince him that you're an ambassador of the wasteland. As a result, you won't have to pay him and you don't have to worry about leaving the republic after 24 hours.
- An interesting miniquest is tied to Dave and an upcoming election in his small republic. I guess you won't be surprised to hear that there are a lot of different ways to end this quest. The most obvious solution is to assist Dave in being reelected as a president. In order to do that you must talk to four citizens of his republic - Bob, Shawna, Jessica and Rosie. In each case you must convince the citizen to vote (screen). Now you must wait for each person to get to the Capitol building and to put the vote in the urn. The votes will then be counted and Dave will win. The reward for helping him is pathetic - 25 bottle caps.
If you don't want to help Dave in getting reelected, you can convince Bob or Rosie to take part in the election as other candidates. Sadly, in order to persuade them you must win a speech challenge. Think about who should win and order everyone to give their votes. Go back to the Capitol building and inform Dave that the urn has been filled with votes. Follow Dave to the urn and wait for him to unlock it. Open the urn quickly (screen) and if you're lucky, he won't have a chance to take all the votes from the urn. Notice that despite other candidates he's still in the lead. Take his votes from the urn and leave only one vote inside - for the person you want to win. Dave will be furious that he lost the election and he'll inform everyone that he's leaving his republic and going to Old Olney. Talk to the new president and you'll receive a password to Dave's safe containing Ol' Painless rifle. Sadly, if you decide to steal the rifle you'll lower your karma.
- If you agreed to help Crowley (You gotta shoot 'em in the head subquest) you can to talk to Dave about the keys and you'll find out that they're needed to gain access to Fort Constantine.
- Before you decide to mess with the election you might want to consider visiting Dave's museum during afternoon hours. If you came at the right time, you can take part in a lecture about Dave's greatness.