This page of the guide to Death Stranding explains the Porter Grade. The window informing about the current porter grade appears always after the end of an order. However, at first, this mechanic can seem unclear.
The Porter Grade window appears after each completed order, whether it is a main mission or a side task. Porter Grade window can be compared to reaching a new level of experience - received likes are used for developing Sam's five categories.
Once you complete an order, the game will analyze your performance and give you likes for various achievements. The biggest number of likes can be obtained for completing missions and for fulfilling its requirements in 100% (e.g. for providing the maximum possible number of cargo). Likes can be obtained, for example, for avoiding damage to the cargo or for delivering it well before the time limit. You spend these likes on developing selected categories. Usually, completing missions allows you to send likes to around 2-3 categories. Don't expect to be able to develop all 5 categories evenly.
Each development of a Porter Grade category by 10 levels gives you a reward, which, for example, increases the hero's statistics or helps in progressing through the campaign.
- Reaching new Bridge Links levels allows you to create Strand Contracts with other players to make exchanging likes even more beneficial. You will also be able to ask other players for materials and give more likes.
- Reaching new levels in Delivery Time will make the hero get tired less often.
- Reaching new levels in Delivery Volume will increase the maximum capacity limit by 5 kilograms each time you increase this stat.
- Reaching new levels in Cargo Condition help in balancing the body and reduce the risk of losing balance and falling to the ground. In addition, Sam can endure longer in stressful situations before he loses consciousness.
- Reaching new levels in Miscellaneous increases the number of likes received meaning that it accelerates the pace of developing the hero.