The unofficial game guide to Death Stranding is a complete guidebook and body of knowledge which explains all features of this video game designed by Kojima Productions studio. As befits Hideo Kojima, Death Stranding is full of complicated and even in some cases bizarre gameplay mechanics. Fortunately, all elements that are difficult to understand are discussed and explained in this guide. Our game guide contains various chapters like starting tips as well as sections such as combat, exploration, taking care of BB (the fetus transported by Sam), sneaking, multiplayer, inventory management, crafting, and information about private premises (hiding spots and hideouts).
The FAQ section, which contains answers to the most frequently asked questions, plays a very important role in our guide. We have described a few dozen of different and potentially problematic issues in the FAQ section of our guide. You'll find out, among other things, whether you can use fast travel, how multiplayer works, what are 'likes' used for, what is the Timefall, how to build constructions, what happens after the hero's death, how to avoid being detected by BT monsters, how to change the hero's appearance, and whether you can finish the game in offline mode.
We didn't forget about a comprehensive walkthrough - you will find it in our guide. We have prepared an extended and detailed walkthrough to all quests related with the main story. You will learn what activities should be performed during particular quests and tasks, as well as how to prepare for each expedition. In the guide we also provide information about side assignments that are not required to complete the main camping. You will also find locations of all collectibles and secrets in Death Stranding, like Memory Chips. The whole is complemented by chapters about controls and system requirements. Our guide is concludes with a trophy guide, in which we described in detail how to unlock the platinum trophy.
Death Stranding takes place in a former U.S. territory affected by an unspecified cataclysm. The post-apocalyptic game world is extremely dangerous - there are invisible monsters lurking for brave adventurers. In addition, there are regular temporary rainfalls that age everything they encounter. The main character of the game is Sam Porter Bridges, who specializes in transporting cargo between locations inhabited by the remnants of mankind. The main premise of the Hideo Kojima video game is an attempt to reunite these places at the request of government leader who represents the United Cities of America (UCA). Death Stranding places great emphasis on a high level of immersion. The main character moves in a realistic way and can easily lose his balance when carrying heavier loads. We have to take care of his hygiene and physiological needs, and he has to take care of the transported fetus BB (Linked Child).
- I have a question and I'm looking for answers
- How to defeat enemies?
- I have a problem defeating a boss
- Death Stranding walkthrough
- Will Death Stranding be released on PC?
- Is Death Stranding the so-called walking simulator?
- In which versions is the game available?
- Is it possible to save game manually?
- Can I skip the in-game cutscenes?
- How important are the footprints of my hero?
- Can I get back the motorcycle from the beginning of the game?
- Is the open in-game world seamless and limitless?
- How many chapters does Death Stranding have?
- Why buttons on my gaming controller don't work after I pushed them?
- How to fold and collapse ladder?
- Are there any time quests in the game?
- Does the game have distinctive main and side quests?
- Are there any collectibles in Death Stranding?
- Is Death Stranding a difficult game?
- Why does the drop-down menu not show the entire inventory?
- Can I return to the starting region later in the game?
- Is there crafting in the game?
- Most important buttons - controls
- Do I need PS+ for multiplayer?
- Are there any diverse locations in Death Stranding?
- Is it possible to skip the ending credits?
- Does Death Stranding run well on a regular PS4?
- Is the Death Stranding's platinum trophy hard to get?
I have a question and I'm looking for answers
By far, the largest section of our guide is the FAQ section where you will find answers to frequently asked questions. Below we have compiled some of the topics:
- What is the Porter Grade? - Each order you perform is evaluated based on your performance (e.g. you delivered the cargo in perfect condition). A higher note means more likes. Sam can also level up faster and unlock various stats bonuses.
- What happens after the hero dies? - Sam's death doesn't mean you will see the "Game Over" screen. Sam ends up in an underwater location called The Seam. You can leave this place by leading the hero's soul to his "empty" body.
- How to increase the load capacity limit? - You can do this in several different ways. You can choose to wear a special exoskeleton or place some of the cargo on the vehicle.
- What role does BB (Bridge Baby) play? - Our "child companion" is extremely important for surviving in the game world. BB is the only effective way to detect BTs (the invisible monsters) and either avoid or eliminate them.
- How to repair a damaged cargo? - Sam can repair only cargo containers. There are two main methods - you can use a repair spray or hide in a Timefall shelter. In both cases, the container can be restored to 100%.
- What is a Timefall? - This is the most important weather phenomenon that you have to deal with. To put it simply, it is "soiled rain" that doesn't threaten Sam directly but can gradually destroy transported cargo and all structures in the game world.
- Is it possible to change the appearance of the main character? - You can do this in any shelter / private room. Initially, the game only allows you to change the color of the cap and glasses. After completing the main plot, you unlock the option to choose a different color for your outfit.
- How to collect Chiral Crystals? - You can encounter these crystals from the beginning of the game, but the main character can't collect them right away. You need to make enough progress in the main storyline to get a special container to collect these crystals.
- How to get and start a new motorcycle? - You have to be patient because you won't get any vehicles during the first few hours of the game. The situation changes once you make enough progress and unlock the generator to power a motorcycle. At a later stage of the campaign, you will also receive blueprints to make your own vehicles.
- Is there a fast travel option? - Sam can use the fast travel option, but only from the third chapter onward. Fast travel is free, although you can't use it to move around while transporting cargo.
- What are the likes for? - They are, to some extent, classic experience points. Their main purpose is to increase the Connection Level with facilities and your Porter Grade. Likes send to other players allow you to strengthen your ties.
- What does multiplayer look like? - It is very unusual because you don't have direct encounters with other players. However, the worlds of different players can "exchange" signs, structures or loot.
- How to get the first weapons? - You get each subsequent weapon by making enough progress in the main storyline. Firearms and Bola Gun are useful against living opponents. As for the BTs, you can use, e.g. hematic grenades and a special handgun.
- How to avoid BTs on the way to the wind farm? - This is one of the first difficult moments in the game. During the trip to the wind farm, Sam doesn't have weapons to fight monsters. You can choose from 2 solutions - sneak or run.
How to defeat enemies?
Our Guide has two important and extensive chapters on how to deal with living opponents and BTs:
- Confrontations with living opponents - These enemies are called MULE. Sam doesn't have to fight them - you can simply run away. Stealth approach is also available. If you go into direct combat, you can rely on melee attacks and a variety of weapons. You can also hit MULE with a vehicle.
- Confrontations with BTs - they are very different from battles with regular opponents. In the beginning, Sam is helpless. You need to make enough progress in the story to acquire weapons that can harm BTs. You don't kill BTs but simply drive them away. Sam can do that by using, e.g. hematic grenades and anti-BT handguns.
I have a problem defeating a boss
Death Stranding has several boss fights. Check the Bosses chapter to find a solution:
- How to defeat the squid? - This is a large variant of BTs. You face this monster at the end of the second chapter.
Death Stranding walkthrough
Our guide contains a complete walkthrough of Death Stranding's campaign. The walkthrough is divided into fourteen chapters.
- Prologue and Chapter 1 - Bridget
- Chapter 2 - Amelie
- Chapter 3 - Fragile
- Chapter 4 - Unger
- Chapter 5 - Mama
- Chapter 6 - Deadman
- Chapter 7 - Clifford
- Chapter 8 - Heartman
- Chapter 9 - Higgs
- Chapter 10 - Die-Hardman
- Chapter 11 - Clifford Unger
- Chapter 12 - Bridges
- Chapter 13 - Sam Strand
- Chapter 14 - Lou
Will Death Stranding be released on PC?
Yes. We don't know the official release date of the PC version yet, but Hideo Kojima has announced that it will be released somewhere in the summer of 2020. During the time when we were preparing this guide, we didn't receive any information that would indicate on which digital platforms the new game by Kojima Productions will be available. It is unlikely that Death Stranding will be released on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
Is Death Stranding the so-called walking simulator?
No, that's an extremely harmful statement to describe this video game with such words. The main hero of Death Stranding is a character who can be compared to a kind of futuristic courier, although this does not mean that the game is extremely monotonous and is limited only to moving from point A to point B. The gameplay is much more complex - you have to plan your route, balance your body when carrying larger loads, help yourself with gadgets to overcome obstacles, and avoid potentially dangerous confrontations with bandits or monsters. Also, Death Stranding rewards gamers for optional exploration - you can find other loads or cargos, resources and interactive constructions (including those built by other players)
In which versions is the game available?
Death Stranding is offered in several different editions:
- Standard edition - You can buy it in a retail boxed version or in digital version. It contains only the game itself.
- Digital Deluxe Edition - In addition to a digital copy of the game, it includes a soundtrack, video footage & behind the scenes (of sequences shot for the game), 10 avatars for the PSN, as well as two gold exoskeletons, gold sunglasses and 2nd level gold armor that can be unlocked in the game. The suggested price of this version is $80.
- Retail Special Edition - In addition to a physical copy of the game, it includes a steelbook, soundtrack, video footage & behind the scenes (of sequences shot for the game) and golden sunglasses that can be unlocked in the game. The suggested price of this version is $70.
- Collector's Edition in retail version (check out the above picture) - In addition to a physical copy of the game, it includes a steelbook, soundtrack, video footage & behind the scenes (of sequences shot for the game), a key ring with a Nendoroid Ludens figurine, a suitcase to carry goods, a BB Capsule, 10 avatars for PSN, as well as two gold exoskeletons, gold sunglasses and 2nd level gold armor that can be unlocked in the game. The suggested price of this version is $200.
All Death Stranding versions contain pre-order bonuses - a dynamic game theme, Nendoroid Ludens avatar for PSN, and Sam's equipment in golden color: sunglasses, baseball cap, armor and speed-enhancing exoskeleton.
Is it possible to save game manually?
Yes, Death Stranding allows you to create manual saves. You can create a new save only if Sam is not in combat, is not in immediate danger, is not sitting on a motorcycle or does not perform any important quest-related activities. After pausing the game, you can open the System tab and select the Save option from it.
When you create a new save, the game does not display a list of saved games, but don't worry - your previously saved game won't get overwritten. After you select the Load game option, the game will display all saves. The list will include manual saves as well as autosaves created without your participation. Autosaves usually occur when you reach a certain checkpoint or after you complete a task or assignment.
We recommend to create manual saves especially in those situations that involve entering the location with monsters or while playing a mission with time limit. This will reduce the possible risk of failure.
Can I skip the in-game cutscenes?
Yes, in Death Stranding you can skip cut-scenes. To do this, click the Options button and select Skip feature. We do not advise you to take such a step while playing and advancing in the main campaign, because you may miss some important events. The cut-scene forwarding option is useful, for example, for switching off short videos that are being displayed after you deliver some materials to base.
You can also speed up standard dialogue sections. Pressing the button on the game pad will end the dialog prematurely and the game instantly skips to the next statement of a specific hero or NPC. Also in this case, the main application of this function is to accelerate insignificant or repeated conversations with NPCs.
How important are the footprints of my hero?
While traveling through the world of the game you can find footsteps - they appear on the ground once you activate the scanner. Most footsteps are left by the main hero and have two uses - you can quickly determine the path that you took to reach the current location or see locations which you've visited before. Moreover, the footsteps make backtracking much simpler, for example in a situation where you receive a task during which you need to get a quest item and return with it to the starting point (your base).
You may also encounter other players ' footprints (if your session is online). In such cases, they can help you determine the path a player took to the objective - it can be helpful in locations that require a difficult climb in order to reach the objective.
The route you have travelled is also displayed on the world map. It might help you in planning longer trips.
Can I get back the motorcycle from the beginning of the game?
No, this vehicle is completely destroyed in the game's prologue. During the first few hours of the game you will be forced to travel the world on foot. Luckily, this state of affairs does not last until the end of the campaign. After some time you will be able to own a new motorcycle as well as other vehicles and machines. To do this, it is enough to advance in the game, as well as meet additional requirements - in the case of replacement of the motorcycle will need to unlock the generator plan and build such a device.
For more information, please visit the How to get a new motorcycle and get it started? chapter in the FAQ section of our guide.
Is the open in-game world seamless and limitless?
No, in Death Stranding there is no one big map - separate regions that make up the world of the game cannot be traveled freely and without restrictions. First of all, the game does not provide the entire map of the world after the campaign's prologue is completed. You will need to advance in the main storyline to gain access to further regions. In addition, access to some areas is blocked by high rocks or various types of energy barriers. The force fields can remain active throughout the game or disappear after you have been given permission to do so thanks to the progress in the main story.
The good news is that many of the locations associated with quests can often be reached in different ways - you can decide to climb a mountain or choose a longer, but less risky, circular route to your destination. This is not always possible and in some missions the game may force you to pass through an area where an important event occurs.
The map of United Cities of America is divided into regions that aren't connected. For example, after the end of the second episode of the game, the main character uses a boat to travel to the new region of UCA. You can easily return to previously visited regions thanks to fast travel feature which is free of charge and becomes available from the third chapter of the game.
How many chapters does Death Stranding have?
The main campaign in Death Stranding consists of 14 chapters. They differ in length. Usually there are a number of role-playing missions to complete within a given episode, although the gameplay time can be longer if you decide to explore or take some side quests.
For complete information about the length of the game, see the FAQ section - How long does it take to complete Death Stranding? of our guide.
Why buttons on my gaming controller don't work after I pushed them?
This is an easy-to-solve problem you may encounter while playing the game. If the game does not respond to a press of a button, for example, to give Sam some sort of command, then the probable solution is to hold down the button instead of pressing it a single time.
The requirement to hold the button is indicated by a small circle surrounding button icon - an example of such an action shows the above picture. It is worth noting that holding it does not apply only to the main gaming controller buttons. Sometimes you may also need to hold down the Options button (for example, to disassemble an item). This will trigger the desired action instead of entering the pause menu (single press of the Options button).
How to fold and collapse ladder?
A ladder is not a disposable item in Death Stranding - it can be folded back up and taken away. To do this, you must stand next to the ladder and hold down the Options button to use the Collapse Ladder option. Once the ladder has been folded up, once again you can add it to your inventory and use it elsewhere.
It is important to note that you cannot collect or pick up ladders which where folded out by other players. Fortunately, you can use them without any problems and it is very helpful if you are not carrying a ladder at the moment or if you just want to save time to set it up.
Are there any time quests in the game?
Yes, some orders may force you to complete them within the imposed time limit. Information about the Delivery Time Limit is displayed in the description of the order - in the example from the above image the main Cryptobiote Delivery story mission must be completed within 30 minutes.
We advise you to make manual saves before starting any time-limited tasks. Also, you can increase your chances by using vehicles in this type of missions. It's worth to plan your route on the world map in order to avoid wasting time on useless wandering or tedious climbing.
Does the game have distinctive main and side quests?
Death Stranding does not offer a traditional division into main and side assignments, although you can discern important and less significant tasks.
- The most important quests are Orders for Sam - these are story missions - each of them is unique. It should be noted, however, that it is not necessary to complete all Orders for Sam to complete the main storyline. Some quests are optional, though, it is worth doing all of them in order to unlock all possible rewards (including unique gadgets).
- Standard Orders are side missions that are characterized by a low level of complexity. Usually it is about transporting cargo from point A to point B and, for example, protecting it from harm along the way. These missions do not offer any unique rewards and are rewarded with less likes. In the further stages of the game, you can unlock standard orders for bots. These are automated contracts that are carried out by machines.
Aside from the aforementioned setup, the game also offers various social activities. They involve e.g. delivering the lost cargo, or accepting tasks received from other players.
Are there any collectibles in Death Stranding?
Yes. During the game you can find many secrets and collectibles. The game's collectibles include Memory Chip cards, which you may encounter as you explore the in-game world. You can read the data stored on the acquired memory cards - we have discussed this in more detail on a separate page - What is the use of memory cards?, in the FAQ section of our guide.
Is Death Stranding a difficult game?
No, Death Stranding is not a difficult game and you can change the difficulty level as often as you like. The game allows you to choose from four levels of difficulty. The lowest level of difficulty (Very Easy) deserves special attention. It has been prepared for casual players who are only interested in learning the game's storyline and who prefer a minimum level of challenge. You can find our suggestions on how to choose the best suitable difficulty level on a separate page of our guide - Starting Tips.
The difficulty level can be changed freely in the options menu. You can decide on such a step, for example, if you have extremely big problems with surviving battles with your opponents.
Why does the drop-down menu not show the entire inventory?
When you call up the drop-down menu, you may notice that it contains all the items from the current inventory of the main character. This is not a bug in the game, but the result of a mechanism that limits the number of items displayed on a single page. You must press the right analog stick to move to the other side of the inventory. Information about the number of pages is displayed in the lower right corner of the screen - in the example above, there are two pages.
Can I return to the starting region later in the game?
After enough progress in the main story, Sam will reach Knot City port and board a ship that will take him west. You will be able to return to the starting region of the UCA in the latter part of the game, but before you embark on a trip, it is recommended to settle unfinished business. We are talking, first of all, about various types of side missions. If your journal contains any optional contracts, finish them before you enter the port.
Once you reach the third chapter of the game, you'll unlock fast travel which will allow you to visit all locations, including the starting ones. This mechanic is described in detail on one of the pages of the guide (Does the game contains a fast travel option?).
Is there crafting in the game?
Yes, in Death Stranding, crafting is one of the available mechanics - you can use it to create new items. After reaching one of the hideouts, you can interact with the terminal and choose Fabricate Equipment.
- Sam can only create objects that he had unlocked blueprints for. New blueprints will be unlocked thanks to progress in the main storyline.
- Creating an item involves spending certain amount of materials. If the current location does not offer needed resources, you can travel to a different location (the amount of resources is different for each hideout) or gather them and bring them to the current hideout. When it comes to second option, you can gather materials by exploring the world of the game or breaking down unneeded equipment
Most important buttons - controls
Below you will find a list of the most important buttons to control the main character. We recommend to look at the Controls section of our guide, which contains additional vehicle controls (you will be able to use vehicles later in the game).
Sprint / Stop.
Compass mode - you have to hold the button.
Left hand action - the hero can hold an object in his left hand, grab a backpack with his left hand, aim with a weapon or throw an item.
Change posture - you can choose between standing or crouching.
Interaction - you often have to hold down the button.
Load Cargo - load an object on the back.
Jump / Climb - you can hold down the button to automatically climb further objects.
Right hand action - hero can hold an item in his right hand, grab a backpack with his right hand, fire a weapon or throw an object.
Trying to catch a balance - this is useful when there is a risk of tipping over, for example, as a result of a tilting cargo that you carry or when passing through streams of river.
Single press of the button - Terrain scanner.
Hold down the button - Hold your breath (this is helpful when you want to avoid being detected by enemies).
Select equipment - you need to select the item you are interested in from the drop-down menu.
Select item - you must select the item you are interested in from the drop-down menu.
Select tool/weapon - you must select the item you are interested in from the drop-down menu.
Select object - you must select the object you are interested in from the drop-down menu.
Pause / Handcuffs. In the pause menu you will find, among others, a map, inventory, quest log with contract list, and system options.
Do I need PS+ for multiplayer?
No, you don't need PlayStation Plus subscription for multiplayer. You can play online and enjoy all the social elements offered by the game even if you don't have a PS+ subscription. It is still possible to exchange likes, items and orders between different players and their worlds.
Are there any diverse locations in Death Stranding?
Yes. Official game press releases may suggest that during the entire story player has to travel through similarly looking locations. Fortunately, it turns out that there are lots of different areas which can be explored in the game world. Lowland regions, forests, hills and small mountain ridges are just a few types of areas that game has to offer. In the following chapters of the main campaign, your hero will mainly visit locations in high altitude mountains, which means that he may have to break through thick layers of snow. Another attraction can be various volcanic areas. When you explore this magnificent but dangerous zones, from time to time you will even have to avoid poisonous gases coming out of the ground.
Is it possible to skip the ending credits?
Unfortunately, no. The credits (ending titles & payroll) are displayed at the end of chapter 13 for the first time. Then, they appear at the end of chapter 14 after you have seen the actual game ending. In both cases there is no option to skip or accelerate (fast-forward) them. You'll have to wait till they're over.
Does Death Stranding run well on a regular PS4?
Yes, the game looks nice and works well even on the basic PS4. This is probably partly the result of using the Decima graphics engine, which worked well in Horizon: Zero Dawn, even on a regular PS4.
During our work on the guide, we didn't experience any serious errors regarding the stability of the game or the speed of texture processing. There are small drops in the animation, especially during fights with bosses in places covered with tar. However, they weren't that problematic and didn't cause much discomfort.
Is the Death Stranding's platinum trophy hard to get?
Yes and no. Getting a platinum trophy doesn't require much skill, but it will take you a long time. Death Stranding is primarily a game with a very long main storyline (around 50 hours). If you add the requirements of individual trophies, you can easily spend over 100 hours with the game.
The majority of the trophies in Death Stranding don't require you to play perfectly. Also, you can complete the campaign on any difficulty level. Unfortunately, some of the trophies will require you to repeat the same actions many times (e.g. completing standard orders which are very similar to each other). More information about the platinum trophy in our trophy guide.
About Death Stranding Guide
Author : Jacek "Stranger" Halas & Natalia "N.Tenn" Fras for gamepressure.com
Translator : Mateusz "Ictius" Sawka
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Death Stranding Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Kojima Productions
- publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- platform: PS4
An action adventure game to be available on PlayStation 4 and later on also PC. The title was designed by the industry legend and co-creator of the Metal Gear series, Hideo Kojima.
Death Stranding is an action adventure game available on PlayStation 4. The game vas developed by Kojima Productions and published by Sony.
The main designer and scriptwriter is the father of Metal Gear series - Hideo Kojima, for whom it was the first game developed after leaving Konami, where he spent more than three decades of his career in the industry. The main character in Death Stranding is portayed by Norman Reedus, known for his role of Daryl Dixon in The Walking Dead TV series. The actor had previously worked with Kojima on the cancelled Silent Hills project.
The authors of this game presented a grotesque vision of the world in the undefined future. The plot revolves around deadly weather phenomena, especially rain, which in this world has extraordinary properties. Everything that is wetted by rain, known as Timefall, is displaced in time. This means an extreme acceleration of the aging process in all living organisms, including even plants.
Another important element is the presence of creatures invisible to the naked eye, which are a real threat to all inhabitants of the planet. The game's protagonist and his companions use a special futuristic device to detect the presence of these creatures and avoid confrontation.
The story told in the game largely focuses on showing the relationship between life and death. The title itself refers to a disturbing phenomenon that we know from the real world, i.e. the unexpected appearance of cetaceans on the banks of water reservoirs, which usually leads to their death.
During the game, players travel through an unfriendly world, trying to avoid direct confrontations with dark, invisible monsters. The main character of the game is unique because the deadly rain does not affect him as much as other living organisms.
The death of a character never means the end of the game. Absorption by hostile beings puts us in a state between life and death. The very moment of confrontation with enemies leads to a powerful explosion that leaves behind a large crater. When the protagonist comes back to life from the transition state, every trace he left in the game world (including the explosion crater) still remains in the same place.
An important element of gameplay mechanics is also asynchronous multiplayer. With this option, players can share their stocks and hideouts.
The game is based on the Decima engine, which was created by specialists from Guerrilla Games studio and used, among others, in Horizon Zero Dawn. Photometry and motion capture technology were used in the production process.
More About Death Stranding
Hideo Kojima will soon unleash his opus magnum, which will feature prominent actors that we've seen in Star Wars, The Walking Dead, Spectre or latest Tarantino's.
American heroes have completely dominated the world of cinema and video games. From historical characters in steampunk mechs, to secret agents, and marines armed to the teeth, the list of the best heroes from the land of the free has it all.