Field Teams play an important role in XCOM Chimera Squad. This page of the guide includes information on how to unlock Field Teams, what tasks assign them with, and what are the benefits having field teams.
- What are Field Teams?
- How do I unlock Field Teams?
- Where to dispatch field teams?
- Types of field teams
- When will I receive rewards from the Field Teams?
- Are field teams free?
- leveling up the field teams
- Field team abilities
- New Spec Ops operations
What are Field Teams?
Field Teams are special squads that can be recruited to operate within City 31. They have two main uses:
- Helping to maintain order in the city - this is done primarily by fighting the Unrest that gradually builds up in the individual districts of City 31
- Generating additional resources - different types of Field teams are able to generate elerium, intel, and credits.
How do I unlock Field Teams?
The mechanics described are not available from the very beginning of the game. Access to Field Teams will be granted automatically at the early stage of the campaign. The game will give you a first - Field Team for free.
Where to dispatch field teams?
You can dispatch Field teams to City 31 districts. A Field Team can operate in each of the 9 districts of the metropolitan area. To open the field team management window, you need to click on the field below the district's anxiety bar.
Types of field teams
After selecting a particular district for the first time, you have to decide what kind of Field Team will be able to operate there. There are 3 main team types:
- Finance teams - they primarily generate credits. In addition, after leveling teams up to higher ranks (see below for more information), they can also provide bonus credits for completing missions in a given district and reduce anxiety by resolving specified situations in a given district.
- Security teams - they primarily generate intel. Additionally, after upgrading teams to higher ranks, they can also Guarantee Bonus intelligence by completing missions in a given district and significantly reduce Unrest there.
- Technology teams-they generate elerium. After upgrading teams to higher ranks, they can also Guarantee Bonus elerium for completing missions in a given district and help speed up the discovery of major plot missions in a given district.
Two important remarks:
- We don't advise focusing on recruiting a large number of teams of the same type because you can then start having problems accessing other resources. It is best to have 3 teams from each category so that the resources will be accumulated evenly.
- You can change the type of a field team, but you have to pay for it. They can easily be wasted. It's best if you start from considering how the teams will be divided throughout the city.
When will I receive rewards from the Field Teams?
Resources obtained through active field teams are donated every Friday. You can view the current date in the bottom right corner of the screen. The information about the resource transfer is displayed in the Information section, i.e. under the main buttons of the Headquarters.
Are field teams free?
You pay for Field teams with intel. This is also the case when you level them up (see the next section for more on this). In addition, any other team from the same category (e.g. Finance in the example in the image above) will become increasingly expensive.
In exceptional cases, you can recruit a field team for free. It is possible in 2 ways:
- Recruitment Drive In The Spec Ops tab - you have to send one of the agents there and wait 5 days.
- Completing a mission in which one of the prizes is a free field team - remember you can reward information before each mission.
leveling up the field teams
Each field team can be upgraded to a maximum of Rank 3 and this is intended to increase the benefits of its presence in a given City district. Unfortunately, you can't do it right away - you have to develop the right technologies first. Namely:
- Improved Field Teams (25 elerium, 3 days) - this allows all field teams to be promoted to rank 2.
- Expert Field Teams (45 elerium, 6 days) - this allows all field teams to be promoted to rank 3.
In addition to completing the above-mentioned researches, you must also be aware that every promotion to a higher rank is increasingly expensive. We recommend making sure that there are Level 1 field teams in all 9 districts. It's only when you reach that level that you start thinking about promoting some of them to higher ranks.
Field team abilities
Recruiting and promoting more teams also has another important advantage - you can use Field Team Abilities. These are special actions to be activated on the City 31 map screen to help maintain order in the city. The available abilities are described in the table below. After being activated, an ability needs to cool down for several days. As a result, we advise using them with caution and in those areas of the city where they are most useful at any given time.
It is available from the very beginning, i.e. from the moment you get the first field team.
Lowering the level of Unrest in a selected area of the city. By default, the Unrest is reduced by 1, but each rank of the field team adds another point. Apply this in neighborhoods where anxiety has reached 3-5 points and there is a risk of Anarchy escalating across the city. The ability takes four days to cooldown.
You must have at least 5 field teams recruited.
Temporarily freezes the unrest level in the chosen district. This means it will not change for two consecutive days. This ability is best used for districts with high Unrest (e.g. 3-4 points). The ability takes four days to cooldown.
You must promote at least 1 field team to rank 3.
The ability to receive a partial reward available for a given situation, i.e. without having to advance by a day to reach it in person. You can receive, for example, half of the resources provided. At the same time, you can send the APC to a second situation or another mission. The ability takes four days to cooldown.
Major Crimes Task Force
You must have field teams in all 9 districts of the city.
Lowering the level of Anarchy throughout the city. This is about the anarchy bar visible at the top of the screen. By default, the anarchy bar decreases by 1 point. However, it can be reduced by 2 or 3 points if you have a team ranked 2 or 3 in each district. The ability takes five days to cooldown.
New Spec Ops operations
Another interesting form of extra reward is unlocking new operations in the Spec Ops tab. Further operations can be completed as a result of progress in recruiting field teams and advancing them to higher ranks. The game will always display information about the new operation under the main buttons. It is worth always looking at the Spec Ops menu to see its assumptions.