This page in our guide to Void Bastards focuses on authorization which is mentioned in the tutorial and in descriptions of some of the actions. However, in our opinion, the explanation isn't clear enough.
Authorization means interaction with a small terminal which must verify who is using it. In the majority of the situations, this can be described simply as hacking - you get access only by spending enough credits (Merits). The picture above shows an example where resetting a gene machine requires 30 Merits.
Authorizations that require paying have different uses depending on the terminal. Below you can find the most popular examples of authorization:
- SEC room - By paying at least 30 Merits you can turn off all security devices on the ship (turrets, bots, etc.).
- HELM room - By paying at least 10 Merits you can mark the enemies on the mini-map.
- Locked container - By paying at least 25 Merits you can open containers with loot (usually, you will find a new part or other unique items).
- ATMO room - By paying at least 5 Merits you can increase the oxygen supplies in the station.
- GENE room - By paying at least 30 Merits you can activate a station and re-roll a new Trait.
- Turret - By paying at least 15 Merits you can reprogram a turret. However, this is only possible when you have unlocked Gunpoint MGR blueprint.
Luckily, not every authorization requires payment. One of the free ones is when you want to lock a door. Here, the only problem is that you need to wait a few seconds to finish the authorization.