Wine Wars: Belgaard - the first quest related to vineyards
Getting to the place where the auction will be held
You can unlock this quest by checking one of the notice boards in Toussaint. From it you will learn about an auction during which the Belgaard Vineyard is going to be sold. The auction will take place near the Plegmund's Bridge in the northern part of map (M1,2). You must go there. Once you arrive, listen to a conversation during which you will learn that Liam de Coronata and Matilda Vermentino are interested in buying the Belgaard Vineyard. However, first they must solve the trouble with their own vineyards.
- You can start helping Liam in solving the trouble related to his vineyard. It is part of the Wine Wars: Coronata side quest. Before starting the work you can negotiate the payment for helping him
- You can start helping Matilda in solving the trouble related to her vineyard. It is part of the Wine Wars: Vermentino side quest. Before starting the work you can negotiate the payment for helping her
Important - Liam's and Matilda's quests don't exclude each other. You can complete one quest selected by yourself (for example only help Liam) or finish both quests.
Belgaard Vineyard auction - option A
The easiest way to complete this quest is to solve all troubles only in Liam's vineyard or only in Matilda's vineyard. After you do it you can go back to Ducal Clerk who organizes the auction and inform him about your actions. The person whose family vineyard no longer has trouble will be able to buy the Belgaard Vineyard. Go there with the auction winner. You will learn that Belgaard vineyard will also require renovation and you will receive a list of problems to solve (details in Solving the problems of Belgaard vineyard).
Belgaard Vineyard auction - option B
An alternative option is to complete problems of both vineyards - Coronata and Vermentino (five problems for each vineyard). During the quests related to these vineyards Geralt will find notes which suggest sabotage (one note in each quest). Reading both notes will lead to a new sidequest - Vine Wars: Deus in the Machina. When you finish this quest, Count Crespi will be identified as the person responsible for the sabotage in the Coronata and Vermentino vineyards. Following those news, Liam and Matilda will be able to start managing the Belgaard vineyard (M5,8) collectively.
Solving the problems of Belgaard vineyard
This quest might be continued if one of three events occur:
- You could have chosen variant A, and finish the sidequest Wine Wars: Coronata for Liam. This way, Liam will receive the right to buy Belgaard vineyard, and he will be the only one to reach it.
- You could have chosen variant A, and finish the sidequest Wine Wars: Vermentino for Matilda. This way, Matilda will receive the right to buy Belgaard vineyard and she will be the only one to reach it.
- You could have chosen variant B, and during the sidequests for Coronata and Vermentino vineyards, learn about the sabotage, and finish the quest Wine Wars: Deus in the Machina, connected to the unmasking of the person responsible for the sabotage. This way, Liam and Matilda will jointly manage Belgaard vineyard.
Regardless of the chosen variant, Geralt will receive the prearranged payment, and will learn about the necessity of solving the problems of Belgaard vineyard. You can take the task instantly, or negotiate a new payment. Here is the juxtaposition of Belgaard vineyard problems:
- Vineyard Infestation - You need to get rid of 37 level Endregas, including workers, warriors and drones. Before closing in on the monsters' whereabouts, you can put the oil against insectoids on the silver sword, making Geralt deal bigger damage. Once you kill all the monsters, find their nest and use one of the bombs to destroy it.
- Guarder Treasure - There are few Giant Centipedes near the treasure location. Use Yrden to paralyze the monsters (they need to be inside the magic circle) and then start attacking them using the silver sword. After the battle, find the mauled remains and investigate them - you will find a Letter to Gregory Pixide).
- Person in Distress - You have to reach the beach, where a large group of 40 level bandits dwells. Eliminate them, which will allow Geralt to free the imprisoned blacksmith. You can escort him personally, or send him back on his own. From now on, you can use the blacksmith services (buying weapons, armor and crafting materials, creating and repairing items)
- Abandoned Site - You need to kill a single dragonlike creature called slyzard. During combat, consider using Aard, which can force the monster to the ground, or stun him for a moment. Aside from that, you can also use the oil for draconids. Employ many dodges, especially if the monster is trying to breath fireballs.
- Monster Nest - There are level 39 giant centipedes in this location. Use the tactics mentioned earlier (Yrden sign) so that you'll defeat them easily. Finish off by throwing a bomb into the nest so that they will be destroyed.
Once you deal with all problems, return to Belgaard vineyard and receive crowns for the job well done.
If you manage to finish the sidequest Wine Wars: Deus in the Machina and help Liam and Matilda take over joint control over Belgaard vineyard, they will have a special reward for Geralt. According to their request, wait three full days (use meditation if you are in a hurry) and return to the vineyard. A bottle of a rare wine is the reward. Geralt can name the wine. Liam and Matilda also promise to deliver wine regularly to Corvo Bianco.
Wine Wars: Coronata - Liam's vineyard's quest
Getting rid of trouble in Coronata Vineyard
In this quest you will solve trouble in the Coronata Vineyard (M1,3). You can receive this task from Liam de Coronata during the Wine Wars: Belgaard side quest (M1,2). You will have to visit five areas in the vineyard and clean them of any threats. The areas are marked on the map as points of interest. They are as follows:
- Vineyard Infestation - You must kill all the archespores on the field. Cursed oil and Igni can be helpful when it comes to killing these monsters. Avoid the poison spit by the archespores and attack them only after they take the flower form. Jump away after a few attacks in order to avoid explosion and stay away from "closed" flowers because they will explode once Geralt gets too close. After killing all the archespores you must find a hole in the ground and throw a bomb inside (similarly as in case of securing monster nests).
- Person in Distress - You must find the entrance to the cave (watch out not to jump from too high) and eliminate the bandits that are inside. By doing so you will save an herbalist. You can personally escort her to the vineyard or hope that she gets there on her own. From now on you can buy alchemy ingredients from her.
- Guarded Treasure - You must eliminate a new group of archespores. Search the corpse shown on the above picture once the battles are over. Search the body. You will obtain the Orders on elegant stationery. Reading it will cause some suspicious about the Coronata Vineyard being sabotaged.
- Abandoned Site - In this place you will encounter a few new archespores. Get rid of them so that the civilians can return there.
- Hidden Treasure - You must eliminate two cave trolls at the bridge (finding the hidden treasure isn't required). Use ogre oil on Geralt's sword. Once the battle starts, use Quen sign to protect yourself from troll's strong attacks. Attack the monsters one after another, depend on fast attacks and use the fact that the opponents are rather slow.
You can do one of two things after solving all the trouble in Coronata Vineyard. The more obvious one is returning to Ducal Clerk from the Wine Wars: Belgaard (M1,2) quest. You can inform him that the problems in the vineyard are solved and help Liam win the auction. You can also complete the Wine Wars: Vermentino quest and unlock side quest Wine Wars: The Deus in the Machina related to identifying the person who sabotaged the vineyards.
Wine Wars: Vermentino - Matilda's vineyard's quest
Getting rid of trouble in Vermentino Vineyard
In this quest you will solve troubles in the Vermentino Vineyard (M2,3). You can receive this task from Matilda Vermentino during the Wine Wars: Belgaard side quest (M1,2). You will have to visit five areas in the vineyard and clean them of any threats. The areas are marked on the map as points of interest. They are as follows:
- Hidden Treasure - You must eliminate a group of rotfiends positioned around a hut (remember to jump away when they are close to dead). Finding the hidden treasure is not required.
- Person in Distress - You must find a small cabin and get rid of bandits inside. By doing so you will save a blacksmith. You can personally escort him to the vineyard or hope that he gets there on his own. From now you can use blacksmith's services.
- 2x Abandoned Site - In two places you will find a group of archespores. Cursed oil and Igni sign can help Geralt in getting rid of these monsters. Avoid the poison spit by the archespores and attack them only when they take a flower form. Jump away after few attacks in order to avoid explosion and keep away from "closed" flowers - they will explode once Geralt gets too close to them. After getting rid of the archespores civilians will return to the abandoned places.
- Guarded Treasure - You must eliminate a new group of archespores. Once the battles are over, search for the corpse shown on the above picture and check it. You will obtain the Heavy brass key and Letter on elegant stationery. Reading the letter will cause some suspicious related to the sabotage of the Vermentino Vineyard.
You can do one of two things after solving all the trouble in Vermentino Vineyard. The more obvious one is returning to Ducal Clerk from the Wine Wars: Belgaard (M1,2) quest. You can inform him that the problems in the vineyard are solved and help Liam win the auction. You can also complete the Wine Wars: Coronata quest and unlock side quest Wine Wars: The Deus in the Machina related to identifying the person who sabotaged the vineyards.
Wine Wars: Deus in the Machina - quest about the sabotage in the vineyards
Checking the location from the note
This task concerns determining who is behind the sabotage on Coronata vineyard, belonging to Liam, and Vermentino, belonging to Matilda. It can be unlocked only if you perform certain actions in the quests connected to aforementioned vineyards. During the quest Wine Wars: Coronata, Geralt has to find a note (Orders on elegant stationery) near the marker with guarded treasure. Analogical, during the side quest Wine Wars: Vermentino, you need to locate the corpse with Heavy brass key and a Letter on elegant stationery near the marker with the guarded treasure. Only when you will have the key and two notes in your inventory, the described quest will be added to the journal.
The place to check is a small farmhouse in the south-eastern part of Toussaint, east of Tesham Mutna ruins (M5,9). Once you reach the place, search for the entrance to the warehouse, and use the key found earlier to open the door.
Not long after you begin to explore the warehouse (you can use the witcher senses to help you), Geralt will be attacked by 42 level archespor. To attack, use the Igni sign. Attack the archespor only when it takes the form of an opened flower, because it can explode and deal heavy damage in the "closed form". Try to avoid the corners of the cellar and narrow passages, where Geralt can get stuck.
Once you kill the monster, consider destroying the archespor seedlings (optional objective). Use Igni to destroy them. Next, check the chest seen on the screenshot. Take Stocktaking Report, which will lead to the ascertainment that Count Crespi is behind the sabotage on Coronata and Vermentino vineyards.
Inform the auction members of the sabotage
You can return to the place where the auction is taking place, Plegmund bridge (M1,2). Talk with Liam and Matilda. In the light of new information, the clerk will let them jointly manage Belgaard vineyard. You can return to the further part of the Wine Wars: Belgaard quest.