In this page you can find information about completing "Whispers of the Mountains" quest in Skyrim: Bruma.
Where to start the quest: The Synod Enclave
Person giving the quest: Cadius Venucius
When you enter The Synod Enclave you will participate in a strange scene. Cadius starts asking you questions if you are the one responsible for enclave's problems. After a while you clear the misunderstanding - speak with Cadius once again and he informs you that he has a certain quest for you. There are some mysterious items of unknown origin in the building. The man asks you to take a closer look at this case.
First, speak with Roland Wickhart - you should find him on the lower level of the building. The man tells you about his guesses and during the dialog... new items will appear. Go to Cadius and inform him that new items are being materialized. The man is a little bit worried - he asks you to search the enclave and look for suspicious items.
You must find three items:
- Mysterious Soul Gem - the gem is found near a bed in Roland's quarters (left from the main lobby),
- Weathered Memoirs - the book is found on the ground right next to the stairs leading down,
- Mysterious Mage Boot - the boots are on a rail next to the stairs leading to the basement.
When you get all three items you must return to Cadius. Give them all to the man and after that a new portal will open. This time a Zombie will emerge from it. Defeat the enemy and you will get a new task. This time you must go to Frostcrag Spire and locate the cause of the anomalies.
Reaching the tower is rather troublesome. Although the place is marked on the map you will have to follow a long path to reach the top. Finally, you reach your destination - enter inside. There, you meet Ravil Fandrani, tell him why you are here. Then, use a circle on the ground and move to Frostcrag Spire Tower.
When you are upstairs, you meet Astor Astenius. He is the source of this commotion - speak with him and you have to choose how you want to end all of this:
- You can convince him by using persuasion/intimidation to stop his experiments. Inform Cadius about this and you receive 400 gold and get access to alchemy laboratory and magic catalyst.
- Inform Astor that you will tell the enclave about his experiments. In this variant you must go to Cadius and inform him about the evidence. The mage asks you to destroy Frostcrag portals. Go to the tower, use the teleports to reach the balcony and sabotage them. You receive 600 gold and get access to alchemy laboratory and magic catalyst.
- Agree to help Astor. Follow him and speak on the balcony. Take the beacon and allow him to teleport you to Bruma. Then, you must go to the enclave and place the boot in the middle of the main lobby. Go back to Astor and go through the portal, you are in the mages' building again. Take a reward from Cadius (400 gold) and go to Ravil Fandrani for another reward (Ayleid Dagger).
After making a choice and collecting your reward the quest ends.