This page of the guide to The Sinking City has the list of all the available endings. Besides the general information about the endings, we have also included a walkthrough which will help you unlock each of them. By seeing all three endings you get three different trophies/achievements.
- Basic information about the endings in The Sinking City
- How to unlock the endings?
- Ending 1 - End the Cycle
Basic information about the endings in The Sinking City
- The Sinking City has three main endings, and each of them gives you a separate trophy/achievement.
- You choose the ending at the end of the main plot (none of them activates "prematurely" nor shortens the game) and you always have access to all 3 endings. You don't have to be afraid that you will miss an ending completely by making "bad" decisions during the game. Decisions have consequences. They can affect who you meet in the final part of the campaign (in person or during one of the many hallucinations).
- You can check all the endings in a single playthrough. You don't need to go through the game three times to see them and get a platinum trophy.
- You choose the ending during the final part of Into the Depths - its walkthrough is on a separate page of our guide.
- The game has a so-called point of no return, that is, a decision that takes you to the game's finale. After that, you won't be able to explore Oakmont. This point happens when you place the completed Seal into the pedestal in the basement of Church of St. Michael. We recommend making a manual save before you go back to the church. This way, you can continue exploring the city without having to start a new game or checking the latest auto saves.
You choose the ending in the cave deep beneath Oakmont (the picture). You get there in the final part of Into the Depths main case. You get there after experiencing a series of hallucinations, e.g. a visit to the hotel room, on board the ship or the streets of Oakmont.
How to unlock the endings?
There are three pedestals in the cave, and each of them is used to unlock a separate ending. They are located straight, to the left, and to the right of the starting point (to reach the side pedestals, you have to follow short paths).
You don't have to make a decision about choosing the ending right away. By default, each of the pedestals has a blue cloud, so you can enter it and start retrocognition.
The point of retrocognition here is to acquaint you with the principles of this ending - point 1 is always the pedestal, and point 2 is the interactive area behind it. After listening to Reed's comment, you can learn about the specific ending. You can learn the details of the three endings before choosing one of them.
Besides examining the pedestals, you can also use the Mind Palace for the last time. Due to the fact that a new hint has been unlocked, you can make the last connection - A way out and Oakmont is trapped by Cthygonnaar. This unlocks I could free Oakmont deduction.
Depending on the selected deduction (in those positions where it was possible), you will open one of three possible conclusions - the one on the left, in the middle (example in the picture) or on the right. These are suggestions for possible endings of the game.
Ending 1 - End the Cycle
Ending 1 is associated with the central pedestal - the one located in front of the place where you start exploring the cave.
This ending suggests that Reed agrees to complete annihilation of humanity and the completion of the current cycle. You will receive The Stars Are Right trophy/achievement.
Ending 2 - Start the Cycle again
Ending 2 is associated with the left pedestal - the one near the abyss.
This ending assumes that Reed will accept his fate and begin a new Cycle, sacrificing himself for others and jumping into the abyss. You will receive Leap of Faith trophy/achievement.
Ending 3 - Leave the city and leave its inhabitants to their fate
Ending 3 is associated with the right pedestal - the one you reach by going through a small tunnel.
This ending suggests that Reed decides to leave the cave with the Seal without caring about the fate of Oakmont and its residents. You will receive I'm Out of Here trophy/achievement.