Fighting in The Sinking City uses very simple mechanics. You can use a small selection of firearms (each one has its own type of ammo that you can find or craft yourself), melee weapons (indestructible, cannot be replaced - however, you can improve its efficiency with skills) and gadgets like grenades, Molotov cocktails, and traps.
Different enemies have different amounts of health (this is due, in particular, to the level of and type of monster) and use different fighting techniques. Many of them also have easily noticeable weak spots: often it is the head or, for example, as in the picture above - the glowing yellow heart of the monster.
Tips and hints:
- It is worth using gadgets: they consume other resources than ammo, which is quite difficult to come by.
- Small enemies can be eliminated with melee weapons to save ammunition. First, weaken big enemies, then finish them with melee weapons. You should learn how many shots are needed to kill any given enemy, and when can you finish them with a melee weapon to save on ammo.
- Some monsters have a slightly modified appearance (for example, other colors) - these are rarer, stronger versions, which often have additional skills or characteristics, and are much more resilient than their standard versions.
- In the game settings, you can increase and decrease the difficulty of combat (as well as look for clues) and enable or disable aiming support, depending on your preferences.
- You will discover new firearms along with progress in the main missions.
Fighting, exploring (discovering new infected areas or fast travel points), and completing missions yields experience points, which can later be used for new skills to strengthen the hero. The fastest way to get XP is fighting monsters in infected areas. These skills are always worth 1 point, and in order to get another point, you need to gain another 1000 experience points. Most of the skills are for combat: increasing the capacity of the clips, the strength of damage, or resistance do damage. Detailed information about all available skills can be found in a separate Chapter: Skills.