Field Research is one of the side cases in The Sinking City. You can start it at any point of the game. You start this case by talking with the doctor - you will find him in the hospital in the central part of Coverside. The hospital is located between Lincoln and Roosevelt Streets.
Sooner or later, you will visit this hospital during one of the main cases. In this task, you need to visit two locations:
1a. Shop in Salvation Harbor
The shop is located in Salvation Harbor, on Windham Street (south of Polaris Road). This part is a typical investigation. You have to find:
- suicide note in the basement,
- letter from the hospital near the entrance to the basement,
- shopkeeper's note behind the counter,
- drugs on the counter,
- traces of blood behind the counter.
1b. House infected
The patient's home is located in the same district - the northern part, on Moorland Road, between Higgs Line and Benevolent Tides Road.
Examine the following traces in the building:
- note near the bed,
- rocking horse near the bed,
- vision on the bed with red spots (use the Mind's Eye),
- sample from the dress on the upper floor (also found at the end of the red tracks),
- food on the kitchen table.
Examine the footprints - a "blue cloud" will appear on the second floor. Approach it to reconstruct the events - mark them in the correct order:
- The monster exits from the hole in the floor on the ground floor.
- Quarrel during the dinner.
- The consequences of the disease on the floor in the next room.
After completing both parts of the mission, return to the doctor at the hotel. As a reward, you will receive a large amount of valuable equipment - don't meet with the doctor when your inventory is full. You will also get the bestiary entries in your log. You can continue the investigation because the doctor has a second case for you to investigate as part of the same side mission.
2a. Shop in Reed Heights
Head to the west side of Reed Heights - the shop is on Ward Street, between Bourbon Road and Sam Reed Street. A monster is in the shop's basement (caution, it explodes upon death). Find evidence:
- a letter on the counter,
- rags on the chest, located behind the stairs to the floor,
- a book in the basement,
- samples of green fluid on the bodies in the basement.
When you examine all the options, a blue cloud will appear on the counter. Determine the order of events:
- The characters enter the store carrying the corpses.
- Corpses are dropped into the basement through the hole near the stairs.
- The beast attacks in the basement.
Find the correct sequence of events to get XP and more clues.
2b. Suspicious restaurant
Now, go to the restaurant on Willow Lane, in the eastern part of Reed Heights. It is located between Herald Street and Bullock Street. The restaurant is a building with a red canopy above the entrance.
- newspaper on one of the tables,
- letter on the counter,
- hammer behind the counter,
- newspaper on the table upstairs.
Go down to the basement. The doors are closed. Jump over the fence behind the counter - go through the hole to the lower floor. Watch out for the armed man in the next room. Examine more evidence:
- the knife on the table,
- bathtub with body parts,
- recipe near the corpse,
- journal on the desk,
- use the Mind's Eye to examine the skull in one of the bowls.
That is all you can do in this location. If you've visited the shop in Reed Heights, you can go back to the doctor. When you talk to the doctor, you have a choice - you can offer to tell people about everything that happened or inform only the authorities.
This choice has no visible effect on the plot or rewards.