This page of the Stray guide contains tips and information about combat and stealth. You'll discover how direct confrontations with Zurks and Sentinels work, how to avoid alerting enemies, and more.
- Confrontations with the Zurks
- Can you kill Zurks and use stealth?
- Areas patrolled by Sentinels
- Can Sentinels be destroyed?
Confrontations with the Zurks
Zurks are the monsters in the game. Although the don't look intimidating, they pose serious danger. They will try to eat your cat, which you'll have to prevent. The main tactics during confrontations with Zurks are:
- Escape - For the vast majority of the game, this is your only option. You'll either have to follow a predetermined route or you might have more freedom. For example, you may need to get to the other side of a pit, a high ledge, or another location where the monsters can't reach you.
- Run in a zigzag pattern - This is crucial, since the Zurks can jump. To reduce the chances of the monsters jumping on you, avoid moving in a straight line.
- Throwing the Zurks off your body - The monsters can attach themselves to the cat, forcing you to react quickly (Circle on the PS4/PS5 pad). You can easily die if several monsters attack you at the same time. Fortunately, after throwing off the zurks, your cat will recover quite quickly.
Can you kill Zurks and use stealth?
In most situations, the game won't let you eliminate the monsters, leaving you with one option - running away. There are 2 exceptions to this rule:
- The Defluxor is a UV lamp that you can use for part of Chapter 7 and Chapter 8. UV light can kill the Zurks, but you need to avoid overheating the device or else it will shut down for a long time.
- In one of the scenes, you can kill Zurks by riding down on a cart. It's a pre-programmed scene that only comes up once.
Passing through some locations may require outsmarting and trapping Zurks, e.g. on the other side of the fence. We've described these circumstances in our walkthrough.
There is no typical sneaking option in locations with the Zurks, although you can keep a safe distance from their eggs in the sewers stage. More monsters can hatch from them if they sense your cat's presence.
Areas patrolled by Sentinels
Sentinels are flying enemy drones that guard the restricted zone. You'll begin encountering them starting in chapter 10. The drones can levitate in place, rotate and patrol the area. The game displays their field of view, which is a great help. This allows you to determine when it's safe to continue.
If you're detected, the Sentries will start pursuing you and may even shoot. Like before, it's best to start running away in a zigzag pattern to avoid getting hit and becoming injured or dying. Try to lose the Sentinel by hiding, for example, behind an obstacle or in a box. The machine will scan the area where the cat was last seen and, after a while, it will return to its default position.
Can Sentinels be destroyed?
The game doesn't allow you to eliminate the Sentinels. We advise you to sneak slowly in locations that contain them. Take some time to memorize the route patrolled by the Sentinel so that you can pass it safely without being spotted. In case you make a mistake, start running away and look for places to hide along the way.
In Chapter 11, you have to trap a few drones. To do this, you have to let them see you, run to the side room, sneak back outside and then lock the room with B-12. This process is described in more detail on the chapter 11 walkthrough page.