This game guide to Rise of the Tomb Raider is a comprehensive guidebook which contains a detailed walkthrough of the title developed by Crystal Dynamics studio. Use our guide to solve all complex puzzles, successfully complete the main story, find all the secrets / collectibles, and earn all achievements to unlock the platinum trophy.
The guide has been divided into three large parts. The first section contains a detailed walkthrough of the main story. Our walkthrough presents solutions to environmental puzzles, describes all mission objectives, indicates locations in which you have to interact with different objects or items, and provides tips on combat. We have divided the description of the main story campaign into several dozen chapters. Their names can help you if you're stuck somewhere and you're looking for a solution of a particular problem or puzzle. It is worth noting that in addition to the main story walkthrough, we have also prepared a description of the side story included in the Blood Ties expansion set.
The second major chapter of this guide contains a detailed description of all treasures and secrets. By using the information available in this guide should make it easier to find all collectibles and secrets in 100%, which include documents, relics, antique coins, survival kits or chests. High-quality maps, on which we have marked all key secrets, will be helpful in finding individual collectibles or secrets. The treasures and secrets chapter is complemented by sections in which we have described how to complete challenges and how to explore tombs - use our guide to find out where each of the 9 main tombs are located and what activities you need to do in order to reach the chambers containing the most important treasures.
The last major chapter is the trophy guide, which describes the achievements and trophies of the core game content. You can find out more about the requirements of individual achievements and how to unlock the platinum trophy.
Our guide is complemented by several smaller chapters and sections. They contain valuable information about: all abilities of Lara Croft, including their applications and recommendations of unlocking them; in-game controls; system requirements, and information on how much time is required to complete Rise of the Tomb Raider.
- Starting Tips
- List of levels and stages in Rise of the Tomb Raider
- All collectibles available in Rise of the Tomb Raider
- All tombs available in Rise of the Tomb Raider
- All trophies available in Rise of the Tomb Raider
- All skills and abilities of Lara Croft
- Does the game include a multiplayer mode?
- Does the PS4 version offer all content including add-ons?
- Should I play the 2013' Tomb Raider before launching this game?
- Should I have the PlayStation Plus subscription?
- Does Rise of the Tomb Raider run better on PS4 Pro?
- Does Rise of the Tomb Raider have a difficult platinum trophy?
- Does the game have any micropayments?
- Key bindings - controls and key buttons
- Consider selecting the Survivor difficulty level right away. It is not very demanding, because developers have put more emphasis on combat than on exploration in the Rise of the Tomb Raider. Choosing this difficulty level will not only allow you to get a better feel of the game's atmosphere, but also earn one of the trophies much faster. If you were playing on one of the lower difficulty levels, you would have to complete the game at least 2 times to unlock the platinum trophy.
- Carefully explore all locations in the game. Rise of the Tomb Raider rewards you with a careful exploration of the maps - this allows you to renew your supplies in the first place, but also to hunt animals, collect various secrets and discover optional tombs. However, it is worth noting that you don't have to examine the location in 100% while visiting it for the first time. You can return to previous areas later in the game to, for example, find the secrets you missed and complete the exploration.
- There are 9 tombs in the basic game version and it's worthwhile to explore them all on an ongoing basis. The main incentive to behave in this way is the ability to unlock new skills. Each explored tomb grants you a new ability. A newly unlocked ability can, for example, increase certain damage inflicted by Lara or provide additional regeneration of health. All this helps you to survive and keep Lara alive.
- Each location has a list of challenges and it is worth checking them before you start exploring the area. You'll know what you're looking for during your examination of a particular place. The challenges have been described in the treasures and secrets chapter of our guide. These include destroying certain types of objects, or igniting a torch.
- Try to get a lockpick as early as possible. This is a unique gadget, thanks to which Lara is able to open closed chests with valuable loot. You can't obtain a lockpick as you make progress in the main story of the game. You have to complete a Cut Short side task and the whole process has been discussed in more detail on the How to get a lockpick? page of our guide.
- Use different varieties of bow arrows. You don't have to limit yourself to standard bow arrows. Poisoned arrows can prove particularly useful, which inflict damage on hit and cause damage over time. Poison arrows may also come in handy if you want to easily kill a bear encountered in the Siberian Wilderness chapter which takes place in the early stages of the game.
List of levels and stages in Rise of the Tomb Raider
We have divided our walkthrough of Rise of the Tomb Raider into dozens of mini-chapters. In each of these chapters you will find one to several pages of detailed walkthrough.
- Siberian Wilderness - Passageway
- Syria - Lost tomb
- Siberian Wilderness - A Cold Welcome
- Siberian Wilderness - Echoes of the Past
- Siberian Wilderness - Best Laid Plans
- Among the Enemy
- Unexpected Discovery
- The Way Out
- Get Out of Dodge
- Alone Again
- Warming Up
- Prepare for Battle
- Into the Acropolis
- To the Tower
- Rescue Mission
- Back to the Forest
- Silent Night
- The Cathedral
- Dark Waters
- Rising Tide
- Escape the Archive
- The Gathering
- The Rescue
- Tracking Down Trinity
- Rescue Jonah
- Path of the Deathless
- Through the Glacier
- Into the Hidden City
- Breaking In
- The Frozen City
- Gate Crasher
- You Shall Not Pass
- The Divine Source
All collectibles available in Rise of the Tomb Raider
In the treasures and secrets section of our guide, you will find tips on how to collect all secrets in 100%. Descriptions of game's secrets were divided according to the locations in which they are located. Each described location contains high quality maps with marked collectibles.
- All secrets and collectibles in the Syria location
- All secrets and collectibles in the Siberian Wilderness
- All secrets and collectibles in the Glacial Caverns
- All secrets and collectibles in the Soviet Installation
- All secrets and collectibles in the Abandoned Mine
- All secrets and collectibles in the Geothermal Valley
- All secrets and collectibles in the The Acropolis
- All secrets and collectibles in the Flooded Archives
- All secrets and collectibles in the Research Base
- All secrets and collectibles in the Planetarium
- All secrets and collectibles in the Path of the Deathless
- All secrets and collectibles in the Lost City
All tombs available in Rise of the Tomb Raider
In Rise of the Tomb Raider you can explore optional tombs which are well-known from the previous installments of the series. Their rules and principles remain unchanged - they force you to solve a series of environmental puzzles. The main reward for fully exploring each tomb is a new skill which can help Lara in completing further stages of the main story.
- Tomb - Ice Ship - located in Glacial Caverns
- Tomb - Red Mines - located in Soviet Installation
- Tomb - Ancient Cistern - located in Soviet Installation
- Tomb - Voice of God - located in Soviet Installation
- Tomb - Baths of Kitezh - located in Geothermal Valley
- Tomb - House of the Afflicted - located in Geothermal Valley
- Tomb - Pit of Judgment - located in Geothermal Valley
- Tomb - Catacombs of Sacred Waters - located in Geothermal Valley
- Tomb - Chamber of Exorcism - located in the Lost City
All trophies available in Rise of the Tomb Raider
Our trophy guide to Rise of the Tomb Raider will allow you to unlock all achievements in 100%. Therefore, you can use it to earn the platinum trophy. The most complex trophies have been described in more detail on separate pages of our guide:
- Rise of the Tomb Raider - List of Trophies - Important note: secret achievements have been listed on the following page of our guide
- For My Next Trick... trophy
- Bacon! trophy
- Bar Brawl trophy
- Chemical Warfare trophy
- Glub Glub Glub trophy
- Quiet Time trophy
- No Guts, No Glory trophy
- Good Samaritan trophy
- Well Begun Is Half Done trophy
- Huntress trophy
- My Own Worst Enemy trophy
- Trick Shot trophy
- Triple Treat trophy
- Renegade trophy
- Rotisserie trophy
- Quick and Painless trophy
- Zipper trophy
- Paying Respects trophy
- Avid Shopper trophy
- A Trusty Old Friend trophy
- These Belong in A Museum trophy
All skills and abilities of Lara Croft
Rise of the Tomb Raider includes character development mechanisms. In our guide we explain how to unlock new skills of Lara Croft. In addition, you can find a list of all abilities along with information about their performance and our recommendations whether it's worth to acquire them.
- All skills of the Brawler skill tree
- All skills of the Hunter skill tree
- All skills of the Survivalist skill tree
Does the game include a multiplayer mode?
Rise of the Tomb Raider does not have any traditional multiplayer modes based on competition. This means that earning a platinum trophy is based purely on single-player content.
However, a Co-Op Endurance mode was implemented into the game after its release. It allows you to fight for survival and find rare supplies by playing as a duo. However, players do not fight directly with each other in this mode.
Does the PS4 version offer all content including add-ons?
Rise of the Tomb Raider on PlayStation 4 is a complete edition and this includes the game's release that was offered to PS+ subscribers in July 2020. The PS4 game is sold exclusively in the 20 Year Celebration edition, which includes all additional content that has been released on PC and XONE. The following list contains all items and bonuses included in this edition:
- Blood Ties expansion set compatible with PSVR
- Large expansion sets like Baba Yaga: Temple of the Witch and Cold Darkness Awakened
- Endurance mode - it is possible to play the game solo or in co-op mode
- Extreme Survivor ultra-high difficulty level
- Unique outfit and weapon available in 20 Year Celebration edition
- 5 classic skins of Lara Croft
- 12 outfits, 7 weapons and 35 Expedition Cards
Should I play the 2013' Tomb Raider before launching this game?
Rise of the Tomb Raider is the second installment of a new trilogy of Lara Croft adventures which launched in 2013. Playing the previous part of the series is recommended, and that's because Rise of the Tomb Raider continues some important story points, among other things, concerning the battle against the organization called the Trinity. Rise of the Tomb Raider also features characters from the previous installment of the series, such as Jonah. Knowledge about the events that occurred in the earlier part is absolutely not required, but you may not understand or miss many interesting story-related topics if you have never played it.
Should I have the PlayStation Plus subscription?
A PS+ membership is only required if you want to play the Co-Op Endurance mode. Everything else is 100% single player content, so no PlayStation Plus subscription is required to play the game or earn trophies (including the platinum trophy).
Does Rise of the Tomb Raider run better on PS4 Pro?
Yes, the developers of the game have prepared a special patch to make the game look better on PlayStation 4 Pro in comparison to a standard console model. It's worth adding that the game has options to customize the graphics to suit your preferences - you can choose high image quality in 4K or increase the frames per second of animation at the cost of some visual effects.
If you want to learn more about the requirements of the game (also on other hardware platforms), please refer to our System requirements section.
Does Rise of the Tomb Raider have a difficult platinum trophy?
Earning a platinum trophy in Rise of the Tomb Raider can be quite challenging. However, the platinum trophy can be unlocked in a much easier way in comparison to the previous installment of Tomb Raider. This is mainly due to the fact that the basic trophy set does not include any achievements related to online gameplay. It is possible to earn 100% of the basic content trophies by playing the single player mode.
The most problematic trophies concern completing the campaign on the Survival difficulty level and accomplishing various achievements in the Score Attack mode, which is not associated with the story mode. These include winning gold medals or obtaining a certain level of bonus for the cards you have collected. Collecting as many as 300 cards can also be time-consuming.
Does the game have any micropayments?
Yes, Rise of the Tomb Raider contains micropayments. You can purchase special cards that are part of a Advantage Pack, a Challenge Pack and a Wild Pack. The cards affect the gameplay and allow you, for example, to get a small advantage in comparison to people who don't use any cards. However, the actual game content never changes and is not hidden behind micro-payments.
Key bindings - controls and key buttons
Below we have prepared a list of the most important control buttons in the Rise of the Tomb Raider on the PS4. For more information about key bindings and in-game controls check the PS4 controls and XONE controls pages of our guide.
Roll over / Sprint / Dodge
Start interaction / Reload
Shot / Use weapon
Crouching / Switch arm
About Rise of the Tomb Raider Guide
Author : Przemyslaw "g40" Zamecki for gamepressure.com
last update : May 5, 2016
Guide contains : 197 pages, 921 images, 26 maps and annotated illustrations.
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Hot Topics of Rise of the Tomb Raider Guide
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: Challenges and chests, Siberian Wilderness secrets Rise of the Tomb Raider guide, walkthrough. Challenges and chests: Siberian Wilderness secrets, location, tips
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: Map, Siberian Wilderness secrets Rise of the Tomb Raider guide, walkthrough.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: Survival Caches, Siberian Wilderness secrets, location Rise of the Tomb Raider guide, walkthrough.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: Documents, Siberian Wilderness secrets, tips, location Rise of the Tomb Raider guide, walkthrough.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: Relics, Siberian Wilderness secrets, tips, location Rise of the Tomb Raider guide, walkthrough.
Rise of the Tomb Raider Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Crystal Dynamics
- publisher: Microsoft Studios
- platform: XBOX360, XONE
More About Rise of the Tomb Raider
In 2014 Denuvo Anti-Tamper entered the stage and started its own battle against piracy. Millions of voices cried out in terror as the new software successfully protected more and more games in their crucial sales periods. And does it REALLY kill your SSD?
Video games used to be longer – it’s a common complaint, and perhaps even true. But could we even handle longer productions seeing how we leave most of modern, seemingly shorter games, unfinished? Because apparently that’s what we do.