Red Dead Redemption 2: New Austin - World Atlas Map
Red Dead Redemption 2 Guide and Walkthrough
Key points of Red Dead Redemption 2 - Atlas - New Austin
Important locations on the map
Starting areas for the Stranger missions
Unique secret locations
1 - Armadillo
2 - Tumbleweed
1 – Tumbleweed missions: Joaquin Arroyo (bounty hunter), Esteban Cortez (bounty hunter)
This page in our guide to Red Dead Redemption 2 contains the map of New Austin. This is the last region visited in the game. The main attractions here are a few epilogue missions. This region has, i.e. Cigarette Cards or lairs of Legendary Animals.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Initially, the entire region of New Austin is off-limits. The region isn't blocked with invisible walls. However, Arthur will get attacked automatically upon entering this region. Some of the enemies can also start chasing you. Wait until you reach the epilogue. After that, you will be able to explore these lands without any problems.
General information about New Austin
- New Austin remains an off-limits area throughout the majority of the main storyline. The game doesn't use invisible walls (or other obstacles) to block you from entering New Austin.Â However, Arthur will be attacked here as soon as he gets detected by enemies (avoiding them is difficult). Some of them will start chasing you. Wait until you reach the epilogue - you will be able to visit this part of the map without any restrictions.
- The temperature in New Austin is hot - use suitable clothes to avoid penalties to the stats.
- There aren't many quest-related areas in New Austin. Bounty Hunting missions available in Tumbleweed are the only exception. You can come across new random encounters that will give you positive or negative honor points.
The most important locations in New Austin
- Armadillo. This town is known from the first Red Dead Redemption. The main character can visit a few places like a general store or a saloon.
- Tumbleweed. Another location known from RDR1. Besides the regular stores and services, you can visit the sheriff's office to start two Bounty Hunting missions.
Hunting wild animals in New Austin
The majority of New Austin consists of deserts, but the region has a few hills here and there. The main character can come across entirely new animal species (i.e. an armadillo) that were absent in other regions or were hard to find.
Unique animal species found in this region:
- Cougar - can also be found in West Elizabeth
- Crab - can also be found in Lemoyne
- Gila Monster
- Turtle - can also be found in Lemoyne
Side missions available in New Austin
We have marked Tumbleweed, the only location in New Austin where you can start side quests. These missions can only be done in the epilogue. You can also do them after the main storyline.
- Joaquin Arroyo - This is a Bounty Hunting mission, not a full side quest.
- Esteban Cortez - This is a Bounty Hunting mission, not a full side quest. First, you have to take Joaquin Arroyo to the jail. The bounty poster for Cortez will appear later.
The most important secrets in New Austin
Below you can find various hidden locations found in New Austin - these locations are worth exploring. The list contains easter eggs, unusual locations with unique loot (i.e. outfit parts or weapons). Unique secret locations are marked with yellow dots.
1) Rathskeller Fork. Here, you can find Ram Skull Mask.
2) Burned house. Inside, you will find, i.e. Explosive Slug Pamphlet.
3) Ruined farm. You can find a corpse attached to a well's mechanism, money, and valuables.
4) Flying machine wreckage. The main character will add this site to his journal.
5) Otis Miller's treasure. Find this treasure by collecting clues in different parts of the world. The chest, containing Otis Miller's Revolver, is inside of a small cave.
6) Missionary corpse. Loot the body and read the letter.