Red Dead Redemption 2: New Hanover - World Atlas Map
Red Dead Redemption 2 Guide and Walkthrough
This page of the Red Dead Redemption 2 guide describes the activities available in the New Hanover region and presents a map on which we have marked important points.
Last update: Friday, September 23, 2022
Key points of Red Dead Redemption 2 - Atlas - New Hanover
Important locations on the map
Starting areas for the Stranger missions
Unique secret locations
Important locations on the map
1 - Horseshoe Overlook
2 - Valentine
3 - Annesburg
4 - Van Horn Trading Post
5 - Emerald Ranch
6 - Beaver Hollow
Starting areas for the Stranger missions
1 – Valentine missions: The Noblest of Man, and a Woman I,II; Good, Honest, Snake Oil (bounty hunter); Ellie Anne Swan (bounty hunter); Oh, Brother I,II
2 – Emmet Granger (gunslinger from the The Noblest of Man, and a Woman mission)
3 – A Test of Faith
4 – Smoking and Other Hobbies
5 – Treasure Hunter
6 – Arcadia for Amateurs III
7 – He's British, Of Course II
8 – He's British, Of Course IV
9 – A Fisher of Fish
10 – Arcadia for Amateurs V
11 – The Smell of the Grease Paint
12 – The Mercies of Knowledge VI
13 – A Bright Bouncing Boy II
14 – Annesburg missions: The Noblest of Man, and a Woman IV; Do Not Seek Absolution
15 – The Wisdom of the Elders I
16 – The Wisdom of the Elders II-IV
17 – The Wisdom of the Elders V
18 – Willard's Rest widow (unofficial mission)
19 – Beaver Hollow missins: Money Lending and Other Sins VI,VII; The Course of True Love IV
20 – American Dreams (one of the three crime scenes)
21 – American Dreams (killer's hideout)
This page in our guide to Red Dead Redemption 2 contains the map of New Hanover. This is the first region that you visit after the prologue. Here, Arthur can do various main and side missions. This region also has, i.e. Cigarette Cards, Dinosaur Bones or lairs of Legendary Animals.
General information about New Hanover
- You visit New Hanover after chapter 1. Dutch's gang hideout is in the forest, in the western part of this region. It stays active only during chapter 2 (after that the gang will move to another place). The gang goes back to New Hanover in chapter 6. The new gang hideout is in Beaver Hollow, near Annesburg.
- Valentine town is one of the most important locations in New Hanover. This is the first town visited in the game. There, Arthur can complete several main and side missions. Valentine also has a few stores, a hotel and, a stable.
- Annesburg is another larger town in this region. This one is in the eastern part of the state. It is highly probable that you will want to visit this place during chapter 4.
- Fort Wallace, one of the restricted areas, is in the northern part of New Hanover. Arthur will be attacked automatically upon entering the fort.
- All of the most important locations in New Hanover have railroad tracks near them. This means that you can travel with greater ease by using trains. Alternatively, you can decide to pay for a stagecoach.
The most important locations in New Hanover
- Dutch's gang hideout in Horseshoe Overlook - South of Valentine. Available only in chapter 2. In chapter 3, the gang moves out to Lemoyne region and set their camp in Clemens Point.
- Valentine - The first town visited during the main storyline. Here, you can accept missions, sell and purchase goods, and pay for various services.
- Annesburg - Another big town in this region. Besides various stores, this town also offers a few quests.
- Van Horn Trading Post - A smaller location in the eastern part of the map. Here, you can start, i.e. one of the side quests.
- Emerald Ranch - You visit this ranch during main and side quests. Later, the game will unlock a unique fencer.
- Dutch's gang hideout in Beaver Hollow - This place becomes a new gang hideout in chapter 6. This camp stays active until you complete all the main missions (excluding the two-part epilogue).
Hunting wild animals in New Hanover
The majority of this region is covered in trees and open spaces. Arthur can hunt various wild animals.
Unique animal species found in this region:
- Bison - can also be found in West Elizabeth
- Black Bear - can also be found in West Elizabeth
- Oxen - can also be found in Lemoyne
- Pig - can also be found in Lemoyne
- Quail - can also be found in West Elizabeth
Side missions available in New Hanover
We have marked starting locations of side quests as well as places that allow you to continue side quests in New Hanover. Below, you can find the list of all side quests available in New Hanover, one of the regions in RDR2.
- The Noblest of Men, and a Woman - After doing part I, your goal is to find four gunslingers. The next parts of this quest will be available in chapter 4.
- Good, Honest, Snake Oil - This mission serves as a tutorial for Bounty Hunting missions.
- Ellie Anne Swan - This is a Bounty Hunting mission, not a full side quest. You also have to complete Good, Honest, Snake Oil before you can do this one.
- Oh, Brother - Parts I and II are in New Hanover. Part III, the last one, is available in West Elizabeth.
- A Test of Faith - A short side quest related to one of the secrets. Add it to your log and start looking for the bones.
- Smoking and Other Hobbies - This mission is similar to the one above - you have to look for collectibles - Cigarette Cards.
- Treasure Hunter - This mission is similar to the one above - you have to look for certain collectibles.
- A Fisher of Fish - This mission is similar to the one above - you have to look for certain collectibles.
- The Smell of the Grease Paint - Both parts of this mission are in New Hanover.
- Do Not Seek Absolution - This mission won't appear before chapter 5, and ONLY when your reputation (honor) is high. If you don't have it yet, try to increase your reputation before you complete all missions found in chapter 6.
- The Wisdom of the Elders - The next parts of this mission will appear in 3 different locations.
- The Widow of Williard's Rest - A unique mission - it doesn't appear in your log even though the quest is marked with a question mark icon. Throughout the course of this mission, Arthur will get a chance to meet with Charlotte a few times.
- The Course of True Love (IV, V) - An interesting case. Parts I-III were obligatory missions. Parts IV and V are optional - read letters in the gang's hideout to continue this quest.
- American Dreams - The quest marker for this mission won't appear near Valentine until you examine three murder scenes in different parts of the map. Each of these places has a map - collect them all to learn the killer's location.
Our guide has walkthroughs for all these missions. Remember, not every quest is available automatically. Some of them may require you to, i.e. reach a specific chapter in the campaign. All requirements for adding them to your log are described in our guide.
Unique secret locations in New Hanover
Below you can find various hidden locations found in New Hanover - these locations are worth exploring. The list contains easter eggs, unusual locations with unique loot (i.e. outfit parts or weapons). Unique secret locations are marked with yellow dots.
1) UFO. There are a few corpses inside the house - read the note left on one of the bodies. Go back here at 2 a.m. Remember, the moon must be in its half-moon phase, not in full-moon.
2) Meteorite. This object is inside the house near Roanoke Valley. The meteorite is inside the crater with a few bodies lying around it.
3) Marko Dragic Laboratory. You can examine it after "A Bright Bouncing Boy" side mission. Here, you can find, i.e. a unique electric lantern, notes, and a Cigarette Card.
4) Fort Wallace. This place is off-limits - you will be attacked as soon as you get closer to the fort. Inside, you will find a few Cigarette Cards.
5) Black sheep. Look around the entire area. Kill the black sheep to get a golden ring.
6) Viking tomb. Near Roanoke Valley. Go down the stairs and enter the tomb. Here, you can examine a few skeletons and take a Viking Hatchet.
7) Old World Scripts. You can try to decrypt the message.
8) Butcher Creek. A small settlement where you can do one of the side quests. Visit the butchery - you will find a unique pig mask. Here, you can find, i.e. orchids and a Cigarette Card.
9) Ruined drilling tower. The main character will draw this location in his journal. Go down the ladder - you will find one of the dinosaur bones.
10) Brush fire. Here, you can find, i.e. a gold bar and Volatile Fire Bottle Pamphlet.
11) Odd tree. A tomb is near that tree. There is also a cabin with a Cigarette Card and a unique potion.
12) Old abandoned fort. This location has loot, i.e. Special Horse Medicine Pamphlet, Civil War Knife, Civil War Hardee Hat, and two Cigarette Cards.
13) House with manmade mutant. The mutant is on the upper floor - climb it when you are outside the building. This place also has one Cigarette Card.