Honor is another name for reputation in Red Dead Redemption 2. This parameter may be increased or decreased as a result of your actions. On this page we explain the details on how the Honor system works and how Honor influences your playthrough in RDR2.
- How do I check my current Honor?
- How do I acquire positive Honor?
- How do I acquire negative Honor?
- How does the Honor system affect the game?
How do I check my current Honor?
At the start of the game, the protagonist's Honor bar is neutral. Good deeds are associated with receiving positive Honor points and bad deeds with receiving negative Honor points. You can easily check your current Honor rating in two main ways:
- By pressing the lower direction on the gamepad's cross. The Honor bar will appear at the bottom of the screen. White represents a positive value and red represents a negative value.
- By looking at the main character menu. Honor is one of values used to describe the protagonist.
How do I acquire positive Honor?
The game rewards all types of good deeds in the game with positive points of Honor. This includes the following actions:
- Helping randomly encountered innocent people (e.g. an injured person in need of treatment or a civilian attacked by bandits).
- Greeting people you meet in the game world. You can easily "farm" positive Honor by entering e.g. the saloon and greeting the people in it one by one.
- Donating for the development of the camp and helping with chores around the camp (e.g. carrying heavy bags).
- Making certain decisions while completing quests, e.g. releasing the interrogated person instead of killing him/her.
How do I acquire negative Honor?
The game awards negative Honor points for all kinds of shameful and disgraceful deeds. These include, but are not limited to, the following actions:
- Killing innocent persons and lawmen.
- Stealing from other people and plundering buildings that are the property of someone else. Negative points are also awarded for stealing horses.
- Robbing shops, stagecoaches and trains.
- Killing domesticated animals such as dogs or pigs.
- Making certain decisions while completing quests, e.g. beating or murdering the interlocutor instead of extracting information from him/her peacefully, or refusing to help an ally.
How does the Honor system affect the game?
Apart from a few exceptions, the game only rewards you for collecting positive Honor points. You can count on the following benefits:
- Lower prices in shops. After reaching a very high positive Honor level, sellers can reduce prices by as much as half. This is very useful for the most expensive items such as unique weapons, horses and outfits.
- Finding more of specific types of loot (e.g. medicines, food or jewelry).
- Unlocking access to new costumes available for purchase. The game should inform you about their availability.
In addition, the bronze trophy Extreme Personality is unlocked for reaching the highest or lowest Honor level.