In Pillars of Eternity, many of the actions are performed with the mouse only. The most important ones are:
- Click onto the ground - Move a character or the party into the specific spot.
- Click onto an NPC - Talk to the NPC.
- Click onto an opponent - Attack the opponent.
- Click onto the map exit button - Leave a given location and bring up the world map.
- Click onto an interactive item - Use the item.
- Click onto the button or the icon of the interface bar - bring up the corresponding window, perform the specific action, use the specific item, etc.
- Hold down the left mouse button and drag - Select multiple party members.
- Hold down the right mouse button and drag - Change the party's orientation.
- Hold down the middle mouse button and drag - move camera.
- Move the pointer to the edge of the screen - move camera.
- Use mouse scroll - Zoom in/out.
The below table presents the most important hotkeys used in the game:
Pause the game. In this mode, you can issue orders to the party.
Highlight interactive objects (items, containers, switches, etc).
Change the pointer to the attack mode. This mode makes your character attack the NPC that you left-clicked onto, even if they are not hostile towards you, by default.
Enters free mode. It provides you with more time to perform an action, but unlike the SPACE key, it does not pause the game.
Enters fast mode (unavailable during combat).
Formation selection window
Cancellation of the action
Opens the grimoire (the spell book)
Party management window
Selects the individual party members
Selects all party members