How to steal without consequences in Divinity Original Sin 2? Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide, walkthrough
Last update: Monday, March 9, 2020
In Divinity Original Sin 2, thievery is one of the ways that allows you to quickly develop your team. If we have 250 gold we can buy one skill book from a merchant and the other... we can simply steal. Thanks to that we learn two skills at a price of one. However, you should steal with moderation and skill because NPCs react quickly to a fact that someone stole their possessions. In this chapter of the guide, you can find one of very mean ways for cheating merchants. You can consider this an exploit that can be used to make the game easier.
In the beginning of the game, stealing gives you A LOT of profit. However, you should use it to develop your team, not getting money. One point in Thievery is enough for you to steal one skill book.
Stealing without consequences in 6 steps
Our mean and cruel way is dangerous and it requires a good reflex.
- SAVE THE GAME - you should never steal without saving, unless you want to fight with entire city.
- Activate sneaking mode("C" key) - place your thief behind a person that you want to rob and enter sneaking mode. Be sure that no one is seeing you.
- Steal from NPC - select an item that interests you. Remember, that weight is important in Divinity Original Sin 2 so, in the beginning, you should only steal books/small items.
- Throw the stolen item on the ground -after stealing an item you must find it IMMEDIATELY in thief's equipment and THROW it on the ground. It doesn't matter where, you can do it even in victim's field of view.
- WAIT for the NPC to find out that they were robbed - a robbed merchant will accuse you of stealing. Allow them to check your inventory. They won't find the item and, in most cases, you won't have troubles.
- Pick up the item from the ground - congratulations, you just robbed a poor merchant and got away with it. Aren't you ashamed?
- You have only a few seconds. If you aren't quick enough and the merchant talks to you while you still have that item in your inventory then you will have to convice them or bribe.
- There may be a situation in which a merchant won't find that item in your inventory but they will still say that you look like a thief. When this happens you must use other methods (bribe or persuasion).
More information about thievery and its rules can be found in the general chapter dedicated to that topic. Remember one thing: don't steal big items. One point in Thievery means that you can steal only 2kg!