This Divinity Original Sin 2 guide is an extensive collection of tips useful at the beginning of the game and when completing storyline quests. Inside, you'll find information useful at any moment of the game, regardless of whether you are a veteran gamer or just beginning your adventure with video games.
Our guide has been divided into two major parts. The first one is a Divinity Original Sin 2 guidebook. Among others, you'll find starting tips which will help you begin your adventure with the game. Moreover, you'll learn how to avoid basic mistakes, what abilities are useful at the beginning of the game, how to easily steal from NPCs, and much more. Further pages offer insight regarding various mechanics and features found in the game, such as exploration, combat, or conducting conversations with non-player characters.
We've also dedicated some pages to the story characters, available character classes and party management. Next stop are sections dedicated to character progression system - they offer a lot of information on attributes, experience levels, talents, and abilities.
The FAQ chapter contains answers to most frequently asked questions. Using the information found in that chapter, you can learn how to get Source Points, how to escape Fort Joy, how to save the black cat or where to find a shovel and a bedroll. The guide is further complemented by chapters dedicated to controls, system requirements, and a trophy guide that contains information and ways of unlocking them.
The second major part of the guide is a detailed walkthrough for Divinity Original Sin 2. The walkthrough lists all major locations that are visited in the course of the game. Among them, you can find: Fort Joy, Reaper's Coast, Nameless Isle, and Arx. Each chapter, dedicated to a location, offers walkthroughs for both the main and side quests. The quest descriptions contain important information, including their further course, choices and consequences of your decisions, combat, puzzles, and loot.
The remaining chapters also contain useful data - our world atlas offers high quality maps of all locations appearing in the game, with markers representing NPCs, important locations, or treasure locations. Section dedicated to Puzzles and secrets offer solutions to more challenging puzzles. Solving them can help you get access to new areas or treasures. Tough fights and bosses section offers help for those whose progress got hindered after encountering a difficult enemy. The guide is concluded with a chapter dedicated to Companion quests.
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Quick beginner's guide
- Divinity Original Sin 2: All main and side quests
- Divinity Original Sin 2: World atlas
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Puzzles
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Typical mistakes
- Divinity Original Sin 2: FAQ
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Battle Guide
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Character development
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Trophy Guide
- Divinity Original Sin 2: Basic controls
- Divinity Original Sin 2: PC system requirements
Divinity Original Sin 2: Quick beginner's guide
- Avoid overloading your backpack - sell unneeded items at merchants or store them in the chest onboard the ship.
- Try to thoroughly explore your environment. You can find many interactive items that can be used or taken, as well as encounter many NPCs.
- Use the highlight combination to display interactive items - This will facilitate exploration and help you avoid having to check each item personally.
- Check every chest - many of them may contain valuable treasures. However, remember that some chests are locked - in that case, you'll need a lockpick.
- Talk to animals - this is possible if you've chosen Pet Pal as one of your talents. Talking to animals can lead to receiving important information e.g. the location of a hidden treasure.
- Protect the black cat following the party - if you keep him alive for enough time, you'll receive a special reward.
- Save as often as possible - this will protect you in case you've made a wrong decision or lost a fight. Console players can also make manual saves.
- Use the terrain obstacles to your advantage - for example, you can hide weaker party members behind rocks or place archers on elevations to increase their effective range.
- Find shovel and bedroll as soon as possible. Shovel can be used to dig out treasures or unlock secret pathways, while bedroll allows you to rest wherever you want.
Divinity Original Sin 2: All main and side quests
Our walkthrough has been divided into chapters. The walkthroughs for individual quests (main or side quests) can be found in the sections dedicated to all major story chapters.
- Prologue - The Merryweather
- All main and side quests from Fort Joy
- Lady Vengeance
- All main and side quests from Reaper's Coast
- All main and side quests from Nameless Isle
- All main and side quests from Arx
- Final chapter
- Companion quests
Divinity Original Sin 2: World atlas
World atlas is one of the most complex chapters of our Divinity II guide. We've added high quality maps of all major locations. The maps list important areas and locations of skillbooks and other unique finds.
- Fort Joy - quests
- Reaper's Coast - quests
- Nameless Isle - quests
- Arx - quests
- Fort Joy - secrets and treasures
- Fort Joy - skillbooks
- Reaper's Coast - skillbooks
Divinity Original Sin 2: Puzzles
When playing Divinity Original Sin 2, you may encounter a few puzzles which aren't that simple and solving them may cause certain difficulties. Fortunately, our guide is here to help. The Puzzles and Secrets chapter contains the solutions to all difficult puzzles found in the game.
- Puzzles and Secrets: Fort Joy - This chapter offers solutions to following puzzles: extinguishing the burning pigs, getting through Gargoyle's Maze, and saving The Historian.
- Puzzles and Secrets: Reaper's Coast - This chapter offers solutions to following puzzles (among others): getting the password to the burning chest, lighting the torches near the Burning Prophet statue, activating season totems, unlocking the door in Ryker's chambers.
- Puzzles and Secrets: Nameless Isle - This chapter offers solutions to following puzzles: disabling the wall-illusion in the cave, Lunar Shrine, removing the barrier in Academy.
- Puzzles and Secrets: Arx - This chapter offers solutions to following puzzles: reaching Thieves' Guild, discovering a secret room in Linder's Kenm Vault, solving the pipes puzzle.
Divinity Original Sin 2: Typical mistakes
- Don't attack every encountered character. Many NPCs are friendly towards the player and they may be involved in many quests. Moreover, some of the NPCs are very powerful and can defeat the party easily.
- Don't let nobody see you when stealing. Consider making a save before each theft. Don't steal from NPCs who are in another NPC's field of view.
- Don't spend your gold on unnecessary items. Buy only the most important and valuable items. Many average items and weaker weapons can be found thanks to through exploration.
- Don't ignore side quests. Completing side quests rewards you with experience points, valuable items, and improves your relations with other NPCs.
- When in combat, avoid placing your heroes on oil pools or near explosive barrels. If the oil catches fire or the barrel explodes, your heroes may be seriously hurt.
More examples of mistakes and bad decisions can be found here.
Divinity Original Sin 2: FAQ
The FAQ section of our guide contains a lot of answers to frequently asked questions. Here are some of them:
- How long does it take to complete Divinity Original Sin 2? - The storyline alone lasts about 60 hours. If you decide to complete side quests and other activities, you can easily spend over 100 hours.
- Source Points - what are they and how to get them? These points are needed in order to cast more powerful spells. You can get them by e.g. absorbing souls or using Purge ability.
- How to escape from Fort Joy? You can choose from a variety of solutions - you can escape by the boat, through the sewer, the room of High Judge Orivand, or the gate.
- How to save the Black Cat in Fort Joy? - the animal will start following the party on its own. Saving the cat is rewarded with a unique and useful ability.
- Where to find a shovel and a bedroll? These two items really make the game easier. The shovel can be used to dig out treasures and unlock hidden pathways. The bedroll allows the party to rest and regenerate health points.
- How does Corpse Eating talent work? - This talent is only available to elves. Thanks to eating certain body parts, the character can receive new useful skills.
Does Divinity Original Sin 2 on PS4 require PS+ subscription?
Yes, PlayStation Plus subscription is required if you're planning to play online. PS+ is not required if you want to play locally. It should be mentioned that Divinity Original Sin 2 offers a split-screen mode.
What is the difference between Definitive Edition and a standard one?
Definitive Edition of Divinity Original Sin 2 offers many additions compared with the standard version of the game. The most important changes/additions are:
- Improved gameplay balance,
- New content,
- Reworked dialogue system and new voiceovers,
- Improved combat system,
- New lowest difficulty level - Story Mode,
- Expanded tutorial,
- New companion - Sir Lor, a squirrelly knight,
- Improved graphical engine.
Definitive Edition is available to all users of the game. If you are playing on PC, the game is upgraded through a free patch. For PS4/XONE users, Definitive Edition is the only available one.
Warning - If you played the standard version of the game, your saves won't work after upgrading to Definitive Edition. Unfortunately, in that case, you will need to start a new game.
Does Divinity Original Sin 2 have microtransactions (MTX)?
No, the game doesn't contain microtransactions, but it offers one paid add-on - a new companion, Sir Lora, a squirelly knight. After buying the add-on, Sir Lora is added to the list of playable heroes, and you get a new plotline connected to him.
Do console versions support 4K resolution?
Yes, but this only applies to PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
- If you are playing on PS4 Pro, the game will allow 4K resolution based on checkboard technology. This, unfortunately, is not native 4K.
- If you are playing on Xbox One X, the game allows 4K resolution along with HDR.
- The PS4 and XONE run the game in 1080p.
Can you move saves between various copies of Divinity Original Sin 2?
Yes, you can move saves between various versions of the game. This is supported by cross-save feature compatibile with the Steam version of the game. You can move your saves between PC and consoles.
Divinity Original Sin 2: Battle Guide
Information and tips regarding combat can be found in a few different chapters of our guide. Here is the list of the most important ones:
- Combat/basics - This page will help you get acquainted with the turn-based combat system, action points, or how to correctly place the party members on a battlefield.
- Status effects - We've listed all positive and negative statuses that can be inflicted on your heroes or enemies.
- Basic effects - This page has a list of basic effects that can be transformed into combinations.
- Environmental effects - This page contains all possible environmental effects.
- Clouds - This page contains all possible cloud effects.
- Difficult encounters - This chapter lists all difficult fights encountered in the game. These may be boss encounters or regular battles against more powerful opponents.
Divinity Original Sin 2: Character development
Developing the main hero in Divinity Original Sin 2 is a complicated and difficult process but fortunately it was described in detail in a few different chapters of our guide. We especially suggest visiting the following chapters:
- Story characters -We've listed all available heroes that can be added to your party. The section dedicated to each character offers general information about the hero, as well as their special abilities. We've also included our recommendations on choosing their character classes.
- Classes - We've listed all available classes. The descriptions for each class contain information regarding the play style, their influence on attributes, abilities, and talents, and available skills.
- Party - This chapter contains information regarding the available races, a walkthrough for the character creation system and our recommendations regarding the best team line-up.
- Character development - These two pages contain descriptions of attributes and leveling up rules.
- Talents - A detailed description of the three main groups of talents - normal, advanced, and racial. You'll learn what talents you can use, their effect and when to choose them.
- Skills - We've listed three main groups of skills - basic, combat, and civilian. Our guide contains information regarding each skill and the amount of action points it requires.
- Magic schools and skills - This section lists all magic schools and skills. You can view available spells, skills and their effect.
Divinity Original Sin 2: Trophy Guide
Yes, obtaining the platinum trophy is difficult and very time-consuming. The biggest problem is completing the main storyline on the highest difficulty level. Aside from that, you need to complete most of the side quests and make correct decisions at specific moments. Completing the game in such way will take at least 100 hours.
A list and walkthroughs for trophies can be found in our trophy guide.
Divinity Original Sin 2: Basic controls
Below are the basic controls for Divinity Original Sin 2. To see the rest, visit Controls chapter. Inside, you'll find all controls for PC, as well as for PS4 and XONE.
Moving the cursor
On an object- contextual menu
Any place - movement interruption, cancelling interaction
Changing position of the camera (interchangeable with the directional keys)
Changing currently controlled hero
+ Left mouse button - once pressed, the cursor changes into attack command on the chosen target
+ Right mouse button - once pressed, you can queue actions (they will be executed after releasing the button)
+ Left mouse button - displays the enemy's field of vision
+ Left mouse button - once pressed, reveals the location of the items which we can take
Combat mode on
Switching between party members
Use item (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,-,=)
Equipment and character window
Close currently opened window
During combat - end of turn
Inventory window - take all
Divinity Original Sin 2: PC system requirements
No, the system requirements are not that high. To start the game, you only need a computer with Intel i5 2,93 GHz, 4GB RAM and a GTX 550 / HD 6800 class graphic card.
To learn more, visit System requirements section of our guide. There you'll find a short note about performance and system requirements of the PS4 version.
About Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide
Author : Jakub "jbugielski" Bugielski & Agnieszka "aadamus" Adamus & Lukasz "Keczup" Wisniewski for gamepressure.com
Translator : Filip "Asfalto" Jaron
Guide contains : 39 pages, 198 images.
Last update : November 13, 2017, visit Strategy Guide
Last update : November 13, 2017, visit Walkthrough
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Hot Topics of Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide
- Skillbooks and merchants in Fort Joy | Maps and secrets Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide, walkthrough. Check out all vendors locations in Fort Joy and learn where you can buy all skillbooks in Divinity: Original Sin 2.
- The Historian - How to douse the Hellfire status in Divinity Original Sin 2? Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide, walkthrough. Check out how to douse the hellfire on The Historian in Divinity The Original Sin 2.
- Nameless Isle puzzle | Puzzles and secrets Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide, walkthrough.
- Where to find a shovel and a bedroll in Divinity Original Sin 2? Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide, walkthrough.
- Quests in Fort Joy - Map of quests and quest givers in Fort Joy Divinity Original Sin 2 Guide, walkthrough.
Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition Video Game
- genre: RPG
- developer: Larian Studios
- publisher: Larian Studios
- platform: PC
More About Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition
The longer, the better? If you think so, we've prepared a list of some of the longest single-player games that will keep you engaged for weeks or months.
After a satisfying first half of the year, the second half looks no less interesting. The publishers are planning releases for almost each and every of the most popular genres.
2016 has just come to an end. It’s high time we thought about what to play in 2017. Here are the top 30 picks of our editorial team.
„The Golden Age of RPG is upon us”, said Brian Fargo and got busy working on three separate projects. There are, however, many more RPGs worthy of attention out there, so we’ve cooked up a list of the best titles yet to come.
Divinity: Original Sin was one of the biggest surprises of 2014. Apart from the Enhanced Edition, Larian Studios also works on the sequel of this successful RPG. During our visit in Ghent we managed to gather some new information about the game.