Combat is a huge part of Divinity Original Sin 2 and its key elements are various effects that you can inflict on characters and surfaces. These effects can be combined with others which usually creates an explosive mix that can deal massive damage. In this chapter of the guide, you can find information regarding all available effects and their combinations that appear in the game.
The game features a few basic effects that can be combined. These elements are:
- Fire - sets a character on fire and deals fire damage. Removes Water effect by changing water on a ground into Steam and removes Wet effect from characters.
- Water - deals water damage and inflicts Wet effect. Can combine with Air effect which allows you to electrify surfaces, removes Fire effect by creating a Steam and removes Burning effect from characters. Some abilities from Hydrosophist tree and Ice effects (weapons, grenades, arrows) can freeze water.
- Air - deals Air (thunders) damage.
- Shock - an effect inflicted by some spells from Aerothurge school, arrows and grenades. It inflicts Shocked status and when it hits again, the target's status turns into Stunned. Can be combined with Water effect which creates an electrified surface.
- Poison - deals poison damage and heals Undead. It can explode when combined with Fire effect.
- Earth - deals earth damage. Allows you to create Oil which can be later set on fire thanks to Fire effect.
- Blood - it is created when a character receives physical damage (melee and ranged attacks, some abilities from Necromancer tree). Blood can be electrified by using Air element. Some abilities from Hydrosophist tree and Ice effects (weapons, grenades, arrows) allow you to freeze blood.
- Ice - this effect can be inflicted by some abilities from Hydrosophist school but also grenades (Frost Grenade) and arrows (Freezing Arrows). Weapons enchanted with Ice effect have a chance to freeze a target.