Monster Hunter rise: Rampage - what is it? Monster Hunter Rise guide, walkthrough
Last update: Tuesday, September 21, 2021
The following page of the guide to Monster Hunter Rise explains what Rampage is. We included the most important information about defending the Stronghold of the village and described all Hunting Installations and types of monsters. We suggest how to level up the Stronghold quickly and to prepare to fight the hordes. At the end of the page, you will find a handful of tips on how to complete the Rampage mission.
- Basic information
- Starting the mission
- Hunting Installations
- Stronghold Level
- Types of monsters
Rampage is the kind of mission that will be unlocked playing the main storyline. These missions involve defending Kamura village from waves of monsters. If the gate blocking the entrance to the village is destroyed, the mission will fail.
Rampage Missions are a great place to collect materials from monsters, receive rewards, and increase the Hunter Rank, especially if you complete the task with the rank S. To find out how to get the highest rating defending the Stranhold, see a separate page of the guide: Rampage S rank - how to earn?
You can stop the Rampage and return to the village at any time, preserving the materials collected during the fight. This mission will remain incompleted. Abandoning a Rampage mission will cause you to return to the village without the materials you've collected.
Here are the most important information about Rampage:
- Rampage missions are available in a single-player mode in the village and multiplayer mode in Gathering Hub. These missions take place in a Stronghold and have unique gameplay, different from the usual hunting or fighting in the arena;
- The Stronghold is divided into several areas, depending on the degree of difficulty of the mission. Each area has a gate protecting against entering to the next area. The Stronghold and the main gate statuses can be found on the minimap;
- The monsters will attack the Stronghold in hordes consisting of several large beasts and one main threat. The number of waves, battle areas, and information about the main threats will be displayed before accepting the task;
- On the Stronghold ground, you can install powerful machines used to repel hordes of monsters;
- Most monsters will escape after receiving enough damage. All the monsters, which are the main objectives, have to be killed to complete the mission. The mission will also be completed if the main gate can withstand the siege until the time runs out;
- Your character will faint if the health bar drops to 0. You will then be moved to the initial base. Unlike regular hunts, there is no limit to fainting. However, there are side quest that may be difficult to accomplish if you faint often;l
- During Rampage, side quests are displayed on the left side of the screen. Completing these tasks and repelling monsters increases the level of the Stronghold and the rating of the mission. In addition, advancing the Stronghold to the next levels will unlock better Hunting Installations
- For defending the village from hordes of monsters, you will receive special Defender tickets you need to create some weapons and armor. You will also use the tickets to buy upgrades to Rampage and use them to make talismans.
Starting the mission
Each Rampage task will begin in the Stronghold base, which is a similar place to hunting camps. There, you will find a box from the guild, in which you will be able to create the necessary items or potions and change your equipment.
After the mission starts, you will have 2 minutes to prepare before the first wave of monsters appears.
In the base will appear Prism Spiritbirds, which will increase your stats until you complete the quest. Make sure you interact with them before you go into the battle ground.
On the Stronghold ground, there are many platforms on which you can place large Hunting Installations. These are special machines available only during the Rampage. You can find the locations of these platforms on the minimap.
Go to the platform and press A to select the type of installation you want to place.
There are 3 types of installations that you can put on platforms:
- Mountable - you will be able to use these machines. These installations have different types of ammunition;
- Auto - these machines will be operated by the villagers;
- Limited - these installations include monster baits and powerful Kamura Warriors. Each type of limited installation can be placed on the platform only once.
As the Stronghold level increases, new installations will be unlocked.
Types of mountable machines:
- Ballistae - quick-firing gun, with 3 different shots: a standard Ballista Shot, a Crag Shot, which will stun the monster if hit in the head, and a Retreat Shot, which will stop the monsters in place;
- Cannon - its shells, when hit, inflict area damage. It has 3 types of shoot: the basic Cannon Shot, a Charged Piercing Shot, and a Charged Thunder Shot which additionally infects with the Thunderblight. Charging Thunder Shot increases its power;
- Machine Cannon - a rapid-fire machine. It has 3 types of shots: quick shot, quick cluster shot, and Silkbug shoot, which will attract the monster to the shooter.
Types of auto machines:
- Defender Ballistae - they shoot at a certain range and automatically disappear when they run out of ammo. If your Stronghold is at a high level, they can shoot a Defender Wyverblast, which will attach to the monster and explode;
- Defender Cannon - they shoot at a certain range and automatically disappear when they run out of ammo. If your Stronghold is at a high level, they can shoot Defender Thunder Ammo, which will infect monsters with Thuderblight;
- Wyvernfire artillery - a machine that automatically burns everything in a straight line. It has 2 types of attacks: Flaming shoot, which when hit, turns into a ball of fire, and Flaming shot, piercing monsters;
- Bamboo bombs - automatically explode when they hit monsters. They cannot be placed on high platforms.
Types of limited machines:
- Dragonbait - lure nearby monsters;
- Dragonbait Warriors - lure nearby monsters, and they are more durable than ordinary Dragonbaits;
- Warriors of Kamura- they vary from fighter to fighter. They can attack monsters or enhance the other machines.
In addition to the machines mentioned above, depending on the level of the Stronghold, you can find heavy hunting installation on its grounds:
- Counter gongs - when you hit them, they activate a counterattack signal, which will raise the morale of hunters, increasing their attack power. Counterattack effects depend on the level of the Stronghold;
- Dragonators - a machine with which your hunter can shoot a massive blade. It works best in combination with Dragonbaits;
- Splitting Wyvernoshots - shells having a large killing range.
- Power kilns - machines placed on the walls. Using them reduces the reloading time of heavy hunting machines and speeds up the repair of other.
Repelling hordes of monsters and performing side quests during the Rampage provides experience points for your Stronghold. Advancing to the next Stronghold levels unlocks new Hunting Installation, increases the amount of ammunition, and strengthens and increases the duration of the counterattack signal.
You will find the level of your Stronghold on the left side of the screen, above the minimap. The Stronghold level resets after each completed Rampage mission.
Types of monsters
Hordes of monsters consist of several beasts and the main threat that leads them. In Rampage, you can fight against the maximum of 3 hordes. You will find the exact number and types of monsters before accepting the mission and in the mission description.
Monsters from hordes are classified according to the following types. These icons will be located above the heads of the beast.
Stalker - focuses on attacking the Hunter.
Targeter - uses ranged attacks. Most of them are flying monsters.
Gate crasher - focuses on destroying the gate.
Special - larger and more durable monsters, killing them provides a lot of experience points of the Stronghold.
The main threats are easy to identify. These monsters are much larger and stronger than the rest of the beasts, and their icon has a gold border. Defeating them will provide a lot of Stronghold experience points and raise the final rating of the Rampage.
The Rampage mission can take place in one or more areas, depending on its difficulty. You will have to defend the gates blocking the entrance to the next area and the most important gate to the village.
The main gate loses its durability due to monster attacks. Its status is shown on the screen as an icon next to the Stronghold level.
The upper left corner of the screen has a clock showing the time left to maintain the main gate. Between each wave of monsters, you will get a short break. Use this time to repair and prepare new hunting installations, sharpen weapons, and, if necessary, change your equipment in the camp.
If you have completed all preparation and still have time left before the horde appears, hold down the right analog to begin the siege.
- Think carefully about placingh the machines on available platforms. You can place or change them even during a siege. It is best to place baits near Dragonators and bombs at the entrance to the combat area. Warriors of Kamura will come in handy with a large group of monsters or to defend the gate;
- Using mountable machines, try to shoot down flying monsters first. A well-aimed projectile will knock them to the ground and stun them for a short while;
- Remember that during the Rampage, you can still use the mount monsters. Use Silkbug attacks, jump on his back and start fighting with other monsters;
- Watch the gate condition! If a Gate Crasher appears in the area, jump on the nearest machine and start firing. Then drive him into traps or baits, use heavy artillery, or change to close combat;
- Killing the main threat in the horde will stop the monster wave. If a large monster appears on the battlefield, proceed to fight it. After defeating it, the rest of the beast will immediately disperse;
- Do side quests. These are often simple actions associated with disassembling and using machines or inflecting a negative status on a monster. Thanks to this, you will gain additional experience points, your Stronghold will advance to a higher level quickly, and you will be able to better prepare for the new hordes. Completed tasks also increase the final Rampage rating;
- After repelling a wave of monsters, do not forget to remove the destroyed machines and install new or repair broken ones using a furnace;
- The counterattack signal is activated from time to time. Thanks to it, hunters receive a huge bonus to attacks with a held weapon, which, at that moment, will make them better than all hunting installations. So if you hear the signal, immediately go to the monsters and start a hand-to-hand fight. You can also trigger the counterattack signal yourself by using the Counter gongs;
- At the end, do not forget to collect materials from monsters. Even though most of the monsters will escape from the battlefield, and you will be able to carve only the main threats, there should be many pieces from defeated beasts in the Stronghold grounds;
- More fun in group! Rampage missions can quickly prove challenging for you. Fighting hordes of monsters with other players allows you to assign roles, distract enemies, and try other tactics. So take a look at the Gathering Hub and sign up for the Rampage together with other players. Thanks to this, you will also get a lot of points to raise the Hunter Rank.