This page has beginner's guide for Mafia Definitive Edition. Our tips are for things like fighting battles, exploring the game world, and starting missions.
- You can freely change the difficulty level
- Be sure to use covers during fights
- Some opponents can be eliminated with stealth takedowns
- Use dodges in melee fights
- Use the mini-map...
- ...and road signs showing the way to the destination
- Look for first aid points and ammunition chests
- Try to avoid breaking the law when traveling around the city
- The simulated driving model provides a lot of fun but makes it harder to complete missions
- Mafia 1 Remake has collectibles
- Use a lockpick to break into parked cars
You can freely change the difficulty level
The game will ask you to choose a difficulty level when you start the campaign. If this is your first time playing Mafia 1 or you don't have much experience with games from this genre, consider choosing the normal difficulty level. If you don't want the missions to be too easy, go for the high difficulty. The classic difficulty level is not a good choice for your first playthrough. It requires you to play the game flawlessly. Also, due to the challenge it offers, you may be forced to repeat certain sequences. In addition to choosing one of the four "main" difficulty levels, you can also select additional modifiers, such as a simulation driving model or the aim assist's sensitivity. We discussed all these options on the Difficulty levels page.
You don't have to stick with the difficulty level you chose at the beginning. You can change each setting in the pause menu. Use this option when, for example, you have problems with winning a particular fight or complete a specific chase sequence. However, be aware that changing the difficulty level can block your access to certain trophies/achievements and make it difficult or even impossible to get the platinum.
Be sure to use covers during fights
Covers are a new feature in Mafia 1 Remake – the original version of the game did not have any mechanics to hide behind objects. Don't shoot while standing in the open – this will make you a very easy target. In this way, you can receive a lot of damage fast or even die.
Try to always hide behind indestructible covers like building walls. Hiding behind a fence or a small box is riskier – such covers can be destroyed. This mechanic works both ways, of course – try to destroy enemies' covers.
Some opponents can be eliminated with stealth takedowns
Mafia Definitive Edition has a stealth mechanic – you can test it for the first time during the third story mission. The game won't allow you to sneak during every mission and every battle, but if nearby opponents aren't aware of Tommy's presence, stealth attacks are definitely a better idea.
You activate stealth mode by pressing the right key. After that, try to approach enemies from the side or behind. With stealth takedowns, you can eliminate opponents quietly and without alerting the area.
Use dodges in melee fights
In some missions and battles, you will be forced to engage in hand-to-hand combat. Focus on pressing the dodge key before the opponent's attack reaches Tommy, i.e. before the circle visible on the screen shrinks completely. A correctly performed dodge gives you the opportunity to counter-attack – you will deal more damage than with standard melee attacks.
It is worth remembering two things – you can use fists and melee weapons (e.g. baseball bats). Also, not every fistfight is mandatory. You can try to move away from an unarmed opponent and just shoot him.
Use the mini-map...
The mini-map is always visible in the bottom right corner of the screen and this is a major improvement over the original game. The mini-map has several important uses:
- It displays a suggested route to your destination – you won't have to open the world map. This is particularly helpful in those stages, which involve, for example, reaching a designated location within a time limit.
- It displays enemies' icons – they are marked in red. Keeping an eye on the mini-map reduces the risk of getting attacked by surprise.
- It displays icons of police officers and police cars. This is very helpful in those missions and sequences where you have to escape the police or when you want to avoid getting detected again after losing a tail.
- It marks first aid kits and supplies. You can locate first aid points and chests with ammo supplies faster.
- It marks important places and secrets. Important locations to explore are marked, for example, in A Trip to the Country mission. Thanks to the markings, you can find the collectibles scattered around the city.
...and road signs showing the way to the destination
Virtual arrows/road signs can help you reach your current destination. They can appear after setting a destination. They are very helpful especially when traveling in the more built-up districts of Lost Heaven. You can easily determine where you need to turn to continue on your designated route.
It is worth noting that you can turn off the virtual road signs in the options if, for example, they interfere with your immersion. We don't advise this if you're just learning the city, or in those missions where you need to get to your destination fast.
Look for first aid points and ammunition chests
First aid points and ammunition chests can be found primarily in locations where you have to fight enemies. They are also marked on the mini-map, making them even easier to find.
Each first aid point and each ammunition chest can only be used once. Use them when Tommy is low on health or you are low on ammo. It is worth noting that weapons and ammunition can also be found on the bodies of dead enemies. It's always worth checking the area after every battle.
Try to avoid breaking the law when traveling around the city
Alerting the police is much easier in Mafia 1 Remake than in other similar productions. Officers can respond to crimes and traffic violations. Their default reactions are somewhat limited, but you can increase them by going into the options and selecting Simulation for Police Response.
If you don't want to get the attention of police, do the following things:
- Do not exceed speed limits – The game has a built-in speed limiter and once you turn it on, the vehicle will never go too fast.
- Don't attack civilians – This includes directly attacking people on the street, hitting pedestrians with cars, and throwing drivers out of their vehicles. If you need a new vehicle, it's best to use a lockpick and steal a parked car.
- Do not crash into other vehicles – The traffic in the game is not very dense, but you should still avoid driving too close to other cars. Also, watch out for vehicles leaving side streets or turning up at intersections.
- Don't go through intersections at red lights – If you're in no hurry, wait for the lights to change. You don't have to wait too long for the green.
The simulated driving model provides a lot of fun but makes it harder to complete missions
Mafia Definitive Edition offers a choice between a standard and simulation driving model. The normal driving model is activated by default. The simulation driving model is an additional option for those who want the vehicles to drive in a more realistic way.
Choosing the simulation driving model makes vehicles slide more easily, they do not change direction with ease, and have a longer braking distance. This can make the gameplay more enjoyable, but it will also make missions featuring vehicles more difficult to complete. This includes, for example, chases, winning the race in the Fairplay mission, or reaching certain places within a time limit. If you don't want to make the game too difficult for yourself, switch back to the more arcade-like driving model. This setting is fortunately available in the options menu at all times. You don't have to go through the whole game with the driving model selected at the beginning.
Mafia 1 Remake has collectibles
Collectibles, absent in the original, are one of the new features of Mafia Definitive Edition. We have listed them on the Types of collectibles page. Their locations are in our World atlas.
If you're planning on getting 100% of secrets, look around every newly visited location, both those with allies and opponents (preferably after the fights). The collectibles can also be marked on the mini-map, so keep an eye on it. The secrets have no practical use, although they are required for the platinum trophy. Also, every collectible (e.g. comic book) can be examined.
Use a lockpick to break into parked cars
Mafia 1 Remake has the option of carjacking. However, throwing drivers out of stopped cars has a high risk of alerting police officers. A better idea is to steal parked cars – in this case, you can choose between smashing the driver's side window or using a lockpick (Ralphie teaches Tommy how to use it in one of the first story missions).
Using a lockpick is by far the best option, as you won't get anyone's attention. Throw drivers out of their cars only when you are in a hurry or when you come across a very rare car you want to add your collection. It is worth noting that in many of the story missions you will receive a "free" car or choose one of the vehicles from Tommy's garage. Stealing another car may then be completely optional.