Like a Dragon Ishin: Another Life - farm and Second Home Like a Dragon Ishin guide, tips
This page of the guide to Like a Dragon Ishin describes Another Life, the farm that is Ryoma's second home. You will learn how to grow crops, how to cook (mini-game), how to fulfill orders in Trade Orders, how to expand the farm and how to profit from Another Life.
Last update: Thursday, February 23, 2023
Another Life is a farming mechanic in Like a Dragon: Ishin. On this page, you will learn how to unlock the Second Home, how to upgrade your farm, how to grow crops and harvest them, how to cook food (various mini-games), how to complete Trade Orders and how to use them to earn coins thanks to Another Life.
The page contains small spoilers about the character associated with the farm. This is a person whose name and appearance are known from previous installments of the Yakuza series. However, we haven't posted any plot spoilers from Like a Dragon Ishin on this page.
Unlocking the farm - Second Home
The farm is a large optional game mechanic that you unlock at the start of chapter 4. You will learn about the indebted household of a young girl named Haruka. Ryoma promises to help pay off the debt of 100 Ryo. You will be able to develop the farm and profit from it.
This location will also become a Second Home for Ryoma - you can go there to rest and regenerate health, as well as manage Storage.
During your first visit to the farm, you will learn about the main attractions of the farm, but you won't be able to do all available activities.
You can freely return to the second house later in the game by talking to the boatman. You will find him in South Yashikimachi in the southern part of the Fushimi district.
Traveling by boat to the farm (Ryoma's Villa) is free - use it to, for example, collect fruit and vegetables.
The ultimate goal in Another Life is to pay off Haruka's debt - 100 Ryo. After making enough progress in the farming mini-game, you'll receive your first letter from the Landlord - you can read it in the Letters tab in the pause menu.
You do not have to rush to pay off the debt installments and there is no risk that you will fail the whole plotline of running the farm. You can deal with it whenever you want - go to the coin transfer point only after you have collected at least 20 Ryo (not just from farming profits). You need to meet the Landlord next to the large shrine in the Fushimi district.
Each time you deliver an installment to the Landlord, you will receive a gift in return - a new kimono for Haruka. The girl will automatically put on a new outfit - it won't change her stats, it's only a cosmetic. You can choose outfits for Haruka by visiting her Dresser in the main building of the farm.
Main features of the farm
The most important thing on the farm is to grow crops to obtain fruit and vegetables. You can interact with the crop field, but it's faster to do all commands at the Tool Shed.
The most important options are:
- Farming Plan - You can choose the species of plants to plant. Try to have a wider diversity so that rarer plants are also planted. The exception may be situations in which you need a larger amount of fruit or vegetables from a specific species to complete the order.
- Harvest All - This is a faster method of harvesting all crops (green icon next to the plant instead of the counter). Make it a habit to do this the first time you return to the farm.
- Scatter Manure - You can use Fertilizer. It is available for purchase in stores or can be one of the rewards for completed orders. It can speed up the cultivation of plants. Use it primarily if you have planted rare fruits or vegetables that need more time.
Additional hint - On the farm plan, you can rotate the plant icons by 90 degrees. This can help you better fill the available space.
Inside the farm building, you can cook meals by interacting with the kitchen. The list of dishes available in the menu expands as you upgrade the kitchen (they are purchased with Virtue). In addition, you must have a list of ingredients (e.g. specific vegetables or fish).
Cooking consists of one or more mini-games. They can consist, for example, in cutting vegetables, pouring liquids or keeping the fire going. The better you do in the mini-games, the higher quality food will be cooked (e.g. Premium). Unfortunately, only 1 meal is produced at a time.
In the corner of the room you have a Trade Orders station. The items you are able to complete are highlighted more clearly and you can also check out their rewards.
There are 4 categories of items in Trade Orders:
- fruits and vegetables - you can get them from the farm or buy them in Kyo;
- meals - you can get them by cooking;
- fish - you can catch them in Kyo or buy fish from stores;
- consumables (e.g. Passion Pill, Scrap Paper) - you can get them as random loot or buy them in selected shops (e.g. all medicines are sold at Pharmacy stores).
Select orders and donate the required number of items (e.g. 5 fish or 10 potatoes). Haruka always goes out to sell goods and can take any number of courses. Upon Haruka's return, you will receive confirmation of successful transactions and you may also receive additional rewards (e.g. fertilizer or crafting materials).
You can skip the cut-scenes of Haruka leaving with the order and returning to the farm by pressing the interaction button.
You can have a Chicken Coop outside the main farm building. You can get Chicken Coop Setup with Virtue.
Eggs will appear in the coop from time to time - they may be required for some orders or meals. You can get new eggs faster by buying Deluxe and Ultra Deluxe upgrades with Virtue.
In addition, on the farm you can:
- go to rest - it will also allow you to regenerate health;
- change the decor of the house - use the stand to the left of the Trade Orders;
- use shrines - the first shrine allows you to pray (Virtue bonus) and use the storage, and the second shrine allows you to spend the accumulated Virtue points (Exchange Virtue).
It is very important to invest Virtue points in farm development. This will allow you to earn large amounts of cash with Another Life. The most important upgrades to buy are:
- Farm Expansion - Increases the size of the area for growing crops. It will help you to grow more plants at the same time and plant those that require a larger area in the field for cultivation (e.g. 3x3 or 4x4).
- Farm Level - Raising the level of the farm allows you to speed up the cultivation of plants and collect ready-made fruits and vegetables faster. There is also an increased chance that you will get more crops from a single crop.
- Green Thumb - Buy all the cheap upgrades in this category. This will allow you to grow new plant species and thus make it easier to fulfill orders and obtain cooking ingredients.
- Typical Kitchen Upgrade - The first kitchen upgrade costs only 300 Virtue. You can also develop it further if you like the cooking mechanics.
- Scarecrow - Placing scarecrows reduces the risk of damage to cultivated plants and thus poorer crops.
As you spend time on the farm, your farm can level up. You can easily check the current level, e.g. in the plant cultivation window - the level is displayed in the upper right corner.
Earning with Another Life
The easiest way to get rich is by growing plants. Try to keep track of your orders for the desired fruits and vegetables. Based on this, choose the species of plants to plant.
In addition, make a habit of returning to the farm often to collect ready vegetables and fruits. The boat is free and Haruka can deliver orders an infinite number of times without worrying about, for example, her level of fatigue.
Additional note - If you care about fast order processing, then put the controller down for a while and wait a few minutes. You can also improve this process by buying new Farm Levels.
You can also try to fulfill other orders, but they are more time-consuming:
- Meal orders require you to obtain their ingredients AND cook them (successfully complete the mini-game).
- Fish supply contracts require fishing outside of your farm. You also need to catch specific species of fish, and in the case of rarer specimens it will take some time.
The rules of the fishing mini-game have been described in more detail on a separate page - Fishing.