This section of the Grand Theft Auto V guide includes information on how does the police in the game work. We tell you what might happen after becoming the law enforcement's target and what comes with unlocking each star of a police chase in GTA 5.
Confronting the police
Sooner or later your actions will make you confront the police, who will try to pacify you quickly. Chase will end on one of three ways:
- Arrest. You begin the game from the police station, you lose all weapons and some money.
- Death. You weak up in the hospital, where you lose money for being healed. Paradoxically, it's way better than being arrest, if you have a lot of precious weapons, because in spite of more expensive "treatment" (depending on your cash, but max is 5 thousands $), you'll keep all your weapons. So when you consider the runaway futile, let them kill you instead of getting arrested.
- Runaway. When you lose cops, you'll be Wanted for several more minutes. If the police don't find you, they will stop the chase and you can return to the normal game.
Stars -Wanted Level
Wanted Level, presented as stars, determines the amount of police forces used against you. It works like that:
- One Star - the basic criminal act which begins the chase. It's activated for example after firing at pedestrians or stealing the car. If there is a police car nearby, the chase begins immediately. Otherwise, the citizens have to call the police first. You can neutralize the caller, so the crime won't be reported. At this stage, one police car will try to stop by asking you to drive aside. Police won't fire at you, but if you don't surrender quickly, it gets quickly into Two Stars.
- Two Stars - when you don't get arrested on the previous level at once or if you start fire next to the policemen (or at them). At this stage police will fire at you and more police car joins the chase. They are more aggressive and will try, probably, to ram you.
- Three Stars - when you kill a policeman, you get Three Stars. Chase will be bigger and a police helicopter, Maverick with two shooters on board, joins the action. There will be also blockades on the road. You get also Three Stars automatically when you sneak in some crucial locations, like Los Santos airport (only if you don't have a hangar) or port.
- Four Stars - more madness brings Four Stars. Here, you will have to stand against FIB equipped in, among others, tear gas. Policemen have rifles and bulletproof vests. You meet heavy SUVs on the road, and antiterrorists will jump down from helicopters. Four Stars you get also when you break into the Zancudo Fort.
- Five Stars - the highest level is connected with National Office Of Security Enforcement (NOOSE), who joins the chase. Many helicopters appear on the sky and all units will continue firing (even during the driving) to destroy your vehicle.