This page of the guide to Grand Theft Auto V has a walkthrough for mission 30 - Scouting the Port. Our GTA 5 guide will help you get to the port, complete all the actions as a port worker and scout the area.
- Mission 30 - Scouting the Port general information
- Mission 30 - Scouting the Port full walkthrough
- Choosing the heist approach
- Rewards and challenges in mission 30 - Scouting the Port
Mission 30 - Scouting the Port general information
Way to unlock: You need to complete Main mission 22 (fame or Shame). You can now visit Floyd's house in the Vespucci Beach district, which became a hideout for Trevor after he reached Los Santos.
Playable characters: Trevor
Additional information: It is a relatively long mission that fulfills the role of the preparations for another big heist on one of the cargos stored in the port. Trevor will be the one responsible for organizing this one. You will have to perform many activities in the port, including interaction with a big crane. The final part of this mission, just like in the case of the Jewelry Store Job, will include the necessity to decide on the mode of action.
NOTE: Towards the end of this mission, you will be presented with a choice of possible variants of the heist on the valuable cargo in the port. The choice itself will have bearing both on the heist itself, as well as on the preparatory mission. I strongly recommend that you save game before starting this mission!
Mission 30 - Scouting the Port full walkthrough
To start this mission, you will have to go to Floyd's house, which is located in the Vespucci Beach district. After the cutscene, get into Trevor's car (Canis Bodhi), wait for the two other characters to join him and drive towards the port located to the south of Los Santos. Stop at the entry gate, wait until you are let through and park in the spot that Floyd points you to.
Wait for Wade to be delegated to perform a "special task" and follow Floyd. After a moment you will have to perform the first activity under the guise of a port employee. You will have to carry two containers over to different spots. Get into the Dock Handler and drive towards the location where the containers are.
Stop at the first one of the containers and position the crane of the vehicle right above the container. Lower the crane and press the appropriate button to grab the container (the above screenshot).
Lift the crane and drive towards the location where the container needs to be put. Along your way, try and not bump into the elements of the surroundings, to prevent damaging the container. Lower the crane and release the container to leave it in the designated spot. You need to do the same when it comes to the second container.
You can now get out of the Handler and go towards the overhead crane near the freighter. Locate the ladder to the top of the crane, start climbing and make sure that you do not fall down. After you reach the top, listen to the port employee's instructions and make it over into the operator's cabin, thanks to which you will take control over the crane.
Also this time, you need to transport two containers but, it is a bit more complicated to control this crane. To move the whole structure around, use the right analog stick, and to control the crane itself, use the left analog stick. You need to direct the crane over the first one of the containers (the above screenshot) and grab it.
Lift the container that you have just grabbed and move the entire carriage to the right. Keep doing that until the crane is above the truck's trailer. Just like before, you need to be precise here. Keep the container hovering right above the trailer (the above screenshot), and release it. Repeat all of the activities with the second container.
You can now get out of the cabin. Jump over the balustrade, carefully, and stop at the very end of the catwalk marked by the game. Select the phone from your inventory and activate its camera (Snapmatic). You need to take three pictures - first of all take a picture of the front part of the freighter, then the large numbers of armed men onboard (the above screenshot, and the back part of the freighter. After you have taken all three photos, select the sending option and select Ron from the contacts list.
Very carefully, get to the bottom now and get into one of the trucks, which you have just put a container onto (JoBuilt Hauler). Drive towards the dock located to the South-East of here, and remember not to run over a port employee, or alarm the port's crew. After you reach the dock, park the truck in the marked area and watch a funny cutscene.
Choosing the heist approach
You can now return to Floyd's house to conceive a heist plan. Just like in the case of the Jewelry Store Job, there are two different variants available, i.e. attack the freighter (A - Freighter), or attack the airport (B - Offshore). In both cases, there will be different preparatory missions to play, and also the course of the heist is going to be completely different. The decision is yours and, of course, both of the available variants have been described further in this walkthrough.
A short summary:
- Attack on the freighter assumes the acquisition of the cargo on its board. The realization of this plan is preceded by one preparatory mission only, entitled Small Sub (stealing of a small submarine).
- The Offshore attack assumes that you obtain the cargo in the place located close to the shore. Preparations for this variant are definitely more time consuming. Not only you need to complete the preparatory missions Small Sub (stealing of a small submarine) and Cargobob (stealing of a military cargo helicopter), but also work on Michael's skills of piloting flying machines.
Rewards and challenges in mission 30 - Scouting the Port
Rewards for completing the mission: none
Requirements for the completion of the mission in 100%:
- Mission Time - you need to complete this mission within 20 minutes. If you do not stop anywhere for too long, you should still have the spare several minutes after you complete the mission.
- Employee of the Month - you cannot damage any of the containers that you carry (both while using the Hauler and the crane).
- Perfect Surveillance - You cannot make any mistake while taking pictures of the freighter.
- An Honest Day's Work - You cannot alarm the port's crew, i.e. you need to perform all of the actions in accordance with the instructions that you receive. Try not to run over anybody.