This minigame is available when the plot reaches Balfonheim harbor but completion of side quest: "Backdoor" is necessary.
Red circle tells position of the angler
To start head for South Bank Village and talk with Ruksel who's standing on the pier on the left [screen 1]. He will tell you he is bored an would like to angle but he has no fishing rod. Go to Balfonheim and walk into area with Aerodrome [screen 2].
You will meet fishing stager there [screen 1]. Talk with him twice and for a second time pick: "That Fishing Rod...". He won't give it to you of course. However he says he is hungry and would like to eat something. Now, move a little away, but do not leave the area, and came back after a while. Fisherman left the place for a meal and forgot to take his fishing rod.[screen 2]. Take it and go back to South Bank Village. Give it to Ruksel.
From this moment you can come here and fish with Ruksel, I mean he will be fishing and you will give him an info where a fish is by pushing the right button combinations. At first button combination appears at the screen edge, after a while it will start to move (from left to right, from right to left, up-down or down-up). Your task is to press the right combination before fish will reach a second side of the screen. Each fishing consists of six combinations. If you manage to do it correctly you will have a chance to drag up a shining treasure from river's bottom. It doesn't flee, so calm down and focus on pressing proper buttons. Even if you didn't manage to catch a treasure whole catch will be approved as a perfect.
You can fish in five places. Step by step it is harder to catch a fish - combinations are longer and more difficult. On the other hand fishes have a better quality and the prices are higher.
South of Ruksel stands Ada who buys fishes. Price-list:
Shop / Ada
1 / 0
10 / 10
25 / 100
100 / 200
Fortunately, button combinations are not completely random and each area has its own certain amount.
Here we got a few areas where you can fish and the ways to procure them:
- Downstream - available from the beginning,
- Midstream - have to catch all fishes in Downstream five times,
- Upstream - have to catch all fishes in Midstream five times,
- Hidden Shoals - Have to catch Cactoid Compact treasure in Upstream using Matamune fishing-rod,
- Den of the River Lord - Have to catch Cactoid Commendation treasure in Hidden Shoals using Matamune fishing rod.
To fish in Hidden Shoals and Den of the River Lord you gotta have Matamune fishing Rod. Here's the way to gain this legendary rod:
- First of all you have to defeat Gilgamesh (details in "Extraordinary hunt notices"). It would be nice if you defeated already Zalera in Barheim Passage.
- Come back to South Bank Village and go fishing with Ruksel. You gotta catch five bottles: Blue, Green, Red, Yellow and Black one. With these bottles you need to visit five locations in Ivalice to gain new tips.
- Blue bottle is at Nabreus Deadlands. You will find there "Faint Glint". Close the bottle to it. You will obtain X-potion and Wamnly-limned Message.
- Green bottle is in the north of Salikawood. Do the same thing as with the blue one. You will get Hastega Mote and Green-hued Message.
- Red bottle is in Mosphoran Highwaste next to a closed shrine. You'll receive Holy mote and Vermillion Message there.
- Yellow bottle you get in Cerobi Steppe. There you have to face a riddle of the windmill.
- Black and the last bottle you will find in Garamsythe Waterway. You will receive Elixir and Onyx Message.
- Walk to Barheim Passage. You will meet Gilgamesh there, who were looking for a legendary weapon but found only legendary fishing rod. Because it has no benefits to him, he will give it to you without fighting.
- Come back with the rod to Ruksel.
On the left shown is position of windmills in Cerobi Steppe.
Windmills 1,2,5,7,9 have to be turned on and 3,4,6,8,10 off.
Hi-Ether and Auric Message will appear when windmills will be properly turned on/off.
After gaining access to Den of the River Lord you will have to catch King of the Nebra. This fish has 9 lives. With one right button combination it looses one life. When it looses 9th life it will be yours just like Shang's Badge in its stomach.